Can anyone recommend me a high quality GA airport in the Appalachian mountains?

So I really enjoying making particular spots my ‘home base’, preferably in the US. I am from Europe and it has always been my dream to visit the US so I live the dream through MSFS.

At the moment I already have a beautiful rendition of Van Nuys in LA, McCall Airport, Johnson Creek and Big Creek in the mountains of Idaho and Talkeetna in Alaska. All of them are fantastic home bases for me and now I want something in the Appalachian.

I don’t have a big preference where in the Appalachians. I’ve been flying from Knoxville across the Smokey Mountains to North Carolina and it’s absolutely beautiful there but other places are very nice as well so I’ll take any suggestion.

BTW I love grass airports and I have too few of them, but I find them pretty rare in the US. But grass is not a requisite. It does have to be more than 2000 ft long, so it caters to more GA than just bush.

Thanks all! Also free and payware both fine.

I’ve really been enjoying this one:

3 Likes

This looks like exactly what I’m looking for. It’s even beautifully located on a mountain! Thank you!

A bit more than simple “GA”, but it has been done extremely well indeed and fits your geographical criteria:

1 Like

I have this too. Up on a mountain so like landing on a aircraft carrier… little skinny runway… take off is a blast… right off the cliff :+1:

1 Like

A little bit south of 2NC0 is 24A Jackson County. Is on top of a mountain with a cliff at the end of 15. RMstudios is the dev. Picked it up on the marketplace for 2.99 I think.

Also check out GE99 Heavens Landing. There is probably a scenery on PC but the default is ok for me on Xbox.

Happy flying!

1 Like

2NC0 - Mountain Air Airport (Burnsville, North Carolina) for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

NC06 - Elk River Airport (Banner Elk, North Carolina) for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

24A - Jackson County Airport (Sylva, North Carolina) for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

KHSP - Ingalls Field Airport (Hot Springs, Virginia) for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

GE99 Heaven Landing Airport, USA GA for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

KMKJ - Mountain Empire Airport, Marion/Wytheville, Virginia for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

Strawberry Ridge Airfield (STR) for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS

Enjoy.

4 Likes

All these suggestions in this thread are exactly what I was looking for, thank you all for being helpful. Time to explore!

2 Likes

I fly these a lot, my favorites are NC06 and KHSP, 2NC0 is also fun. Strawberry Ridge is a grass strip on a hill between 2NC0 and 7A8 airports. NC06 is in this area as well.