Can mouse use in cockpit be unlinked from TrackIR?

Is it possible to set the mouse used for the cockpit controls to be unlinked from the TrackIR and be fixed in reference to the cockpit instead?

I’m going to go out on a limb here assuming I understand what you’re asking because the last part is a bit confusing.

Perhaps remove the key bind for head movement with the mouse and/or create a toggle for it in the settings. If I am not mistaken there is a slider somewhere in the camera settings that allows this. With track IR enabled your head movement and mouse movement should be independent of each other unless you toggled on mouse camera movement.

I have a button on my mouse to toggle/disable trackir when using small dials, buttons just quite hard to hold head still while changing scroll button up/down etc

I would like some form of snap to grid option with the mouse cursor when trying to change items.

Try to adjust the smoothness in TIR settings or enable precision mode with F7 as well increasing dead zones on each axis helps.

I am using FaceTrackNoIR with a ps3eye cam ir filter, it is quite good and smooth, just that when not quite zoomed in close enough its difficult even without TIR to change some dials. I will check the deadzones, cheers.

1 Like

This is basically what the “lock” method of cockpit interaction added in SU5 was meant to address.

Simple concept just why it’s hard to put into words :thinking:
All flight sims I’ve played, the mouse used in the cockpit is linked to your head movement (in this case TrackIR)
I heard it was possible in MSFS to have this fixed to the 3D cockpit instead. I don’t see a setting which looks like this though. Yeah it would really help operating those tiny knobs and dial.

Looks like that does something different. I meant that the mouse cursor doesn’t move with your head tracking.

It is a big problem for trackir users. Pausing trackir is one way but still very annoying because you only pause after many attempts manipulating especially rotary knobs. Should be possible to make the cursor “lock” when you are triggering the click spots.

Try to interact as much as possible with the virtual cockpit as this enhances the sensation of flying this plane for me, rather than buttons and switches in front of me.

A good tip is to map a modifier for the scroll wheel zoom so you don’t accidentally do it while turning a knob.

That would be the natural way to do it. IRL in an aircraft dialing in a frequency your finger is fixed to the knob (or switch or …) and does not move according to yor head movement.

So, yes, this would be a nice feature.

Perhaps this is more of an idea/ideal rather than a concept because when we understand concepts they are not that simple though rather complex. Like the PC that we may come to use rather simply everyday begins to appear as simple until we build a new one or replace parts or take all the parts apart and think a little. :grin: :sweat_smile: :wink:

I have been playing flight sims since FS9 launched and when I started using track IR never has this been the case. I have never not once had my mouse cursor follow my head movement when using Track IR. Now, perhaps this would be the case if you’re referring to the Hat Switch camera movement which could be interpreted as head movement per se that is if you’re not using Track IR or have it paused. I have seen this happen in FS9 and FS10 where if I moved the hat switch the mouse would come up and then I could move the mouse cursor by moving the hat switch but technically the mouse cursor would stay centered and not move at all.

One suggestion I may give is look into mouse movement software, often they provide a means to pause mouse movement though at the same time may keep your mouse alive to allow you to scroll dials. Not sure it would work this way because I have never tried this, but it may be worth a shot for you to check into it. :v:

But if you’re playing MSFS that’s how it works. So “never”? I’m pretty sure FSX worked the same way.
What I’m talking about is this; hover your cursor over a dial, move your head, the cursor will move with it.

Did you activate the TrackIR support in the MSFS views menu that opens during the flight via the menu bar?

Okay I am following now I think :laughing: Okay so when you say hover the mouse cursor over a button, you’re talking about not touching the mouse with your hand all, right? Just using your head? Okay so yes I see now, I remember now during FSX and FS9 having to move my mouse cursor down into the lower corner to prevent it but now in MSFS the mouse cursor goes away after not touching the mouse for a short period. Hmmm I mean, maybe a mouse movement software would help you achieve what you’re trying to achieve, it may keep the mouse active and centered in your view so you could use your head to touch things :laughing: This is probably not what you’re looking for but you may enjoy it and other may find it useful.

Maybe also dig around at Flightsim.to or even put in the request section there and perhaps a creative developer might be able to make a way for this to happen!

Cheers!