Can’t install new update

Hi I can’t install the update I open MSFS2020 only its telling me to go to the Microsoft store and update MSFS I logged in and no update is avaible so I can’t play msfs2020 what is going on folks ASOBO quit making this so difficult

XBox or PC?

Please be more specific. If its Xbox you need to download the Xbox app.

Go to the Store and install the free Xbox App. Launch the app and sign in (if it doesn’t do that automatically) with the same credentials you use for the sim. Launch the sim from within the Xbox app. The sim should launch, and then redirect you to the store. With the Xbox app installed, the update should run.

1 Like

This is for my PC not Xbox

Thank you so much, i just had the same problem but following your guide i managed to solve it ! :grinning:

1 Like

I’m on PC too, but following the instructions of @tclayton2k I was able to start the update

Yep, because tied MSFS-2020 to x-box, now the driver for that devce and code for it needs to be installed on PC, even though not using it. Leave it installed and future updates should work fine.

Personally, I don’t think in the long run this is going to work as good as hoped. First X-Box is dedicated gaming console, software to run it is wayyyy different than PC. Believe in long run, they are going to have to break this in two, so PC users (normally very high powered machines-assumed-laptop of mine was at time of build withing 5% of top of line gaming machine), and an x-box version, why, you cannot as I understand it upgrade the X-box like a PC (desktop). So they are coding this game to work within the parameters of the console, shorting PC users in high end graphics and other features that could run on PC but not capable on X-box. I expect MS/Asobo to eventually figure this out, and then make the decision if they are going to support two different platforms or split it up. If they would just get core game stable, then I would be happy. X-box just further confused the whole platform and it’s development cycle. Console users are not going to want to update them annually, PC users are more agressive on upgrades or buying new PC’s I think, but could be wrong.

Didn’t work for me. I downloaded the Xbox app, started it from Xbox app, still get the mandatory update message, then the game closes, and the MS Store opens up. I’d be nice if instead of doing that, they instead took you directly to what you needed in the MS store app. Geez why hasn’t MS hired me already.

I found an old post that helped. Just click on the 3 dots on the top right. Select the first option, “Downloads and updates.” Then click Microsoft Flight Simulator. That should take you to the page. Then at the top after a second or two it will say update started, or something along those lines.

Also, you don’t need the Xbox App. At least the way I described it above.

For the vast majority of Store users, going to the Updates and Downloads section of the Store refused to work until the Xbox App was installed.

1 Like

Eureka ! Thank God it worked…I was getting very worried there :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Me too. Thanks for the help tclayton2k. Why do they make this so complicated!!!

Having the same problem. X-box will not upgrade and I can’t even run the sim. Is there a fix for this.

You can try this, no guarantees. At admin command prompt run this command.

DISM.exe_/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth

This might fix it. it is a supported MS command. If not, someone else may have answer. Tying X-Box to PC folks dummies down the whole reason for buying high end PC. Actually, instead of a simulator, it nothing more than a game. I mostly don’t play games.

I’m guessing it’s kinda hard to run a Command Prompt on a console…

I thought he meant the X-Box Game site. As now, to get the updates you need to get them through the Xbox gaming site. I’bad.