Cannot download mandatory update

On PC xbox installation didn’t work for me. Installation is still blocked at the decompressing Asobo-flight-tutorials-newlandings-0.1.15 fspackage (no activity after several hours on HD or network). even after a full desinstallation and leaving more than 175Go on my C: SSD (after failing repeatdly to reinstall on D: HD)

All versions - Packages installation and decompressing issues - The download seems stuck on “big files” – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

All versions - Packages installation and decompressing issues - The download is stuck on small files/packages – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

It should not be considered to be normal to have to call up the Command Prompt and enter strange lines of text to get a small hotfix to work once it stalls.

Sorry but this operation was already performed in my case without any results:
A) Disable Window Auto-tuning

• In the Windows search bar, type Command and look for ‘Command Prompt
  • In the menu select “Run as administrator
  • Enter: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
  • Press enter
  • Reboot your computer

Problem is the same and it is really unacceptable to have a game/sim where one cannot play anymore, cannot go back to the previous version that was working and skip updates. It is the first time in close to 30 years that something like that happened to me…

Problem is still: On PC xbox app installation didn’t work for me. Enter: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled didn’t work for me. As were Mandatory updates, ReInstallation is still blocked at the “decompressing assobo-flight-tutorials-newlandings-0.1.15 fspackage” with no activity after several hours on HD or network with task manager and still at0% of installation after more than 3 to 4 hours, and I cannot simply block a computer for what weeks? in the hope that something that was working well before is working again after a mandatory update?
Even after a full uninstallation and leaving more than 175Go on my C: SSD (after failing repeatedly to reinstall on D: drive) it is not working…

For testing purpose uninstall AV software.

I had the same problem - simulator would not start, directed me to update in store, no update. Tried other things from this thread, installed xbox somethingorother, installed digitalthingy, rebooted many times, clicked random buttons and rebooted again and again. Simulator finally started and is now doing some massive overnight download. Microsoft/Asobo, wow, just wow. You have one massive pile of hacked up garbage on your hands. Good Luck.

I did that and it still doesn’t work for me.

I had this issue a while back and could not get anything to work and ended up re-installing the sim.

This time around, I did manage to get it working by doing the following.

1. Go to the Microsoft store and search for “xbox app”
  2. There are 2000 search results. I clicked the first one simply called “Xbox”
  3. Click install, after installation I was magically logged in already when the Xbox app started.
  4. On the left hand side, I only had one game, which is MSFS2020, clicked that and then
    clicked Play.
  5. The sim started, gave me the same “there’s a mandatory update, go to the the microsoft store yada yada” message. Clicked it and the Microsoft store opened.
  6. Click the three dots next the the play button. This time, while having the Xbox app open at the same time, there was an “update” option which didn’t appear before.
  7. Click Update, and it will look like nothing happened. But in the Xbox app the green play button will become a progress bar for a smaller download.
  8. Once the download in the xbox app has completed, it becomes a play button.
  9. Click the play button to start the sim. This time, the download manager kicked in and I
    was able to download the update.

I can’t for the life of me understand why all of these steps, and with no indications of what to do, would be needed to update a game? But this is what in the end worked for me.

1 Like

I do confirm … Had to download XBox App, after installing had to relaunch Microsoft Store, click on “GET UPDATES” and update has jumped up…

I tried everything discussed here but still no updates . Never had any problems with updates before. Is Microsoft working on something to fix this problem?

me too. Thanks for the tip!

Hi guys! Just downloaded the xbox app and it is downloading 600mb update for FS2020 now!

Thanks!

Tanx! First step worked for me. Resetting the store cache (execute WSReset.exe on the command line)
But incredible that a company like MS lets this situation go on for weeks!!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

one thing finally helped me - complete reinstall of the MS FS.

I spent 205 and bought 2 of them. Normally when I start the game it has updates pop up and I just have to find a place to put them. This getting updates from the MS is different .I’ll solve it tomorrow because of all your help. Thank you. Happy flights. I can’t wait. Sincerely, Barrett.

@LivingBird26348 thank you , i spent several hours working on this and your procedure worked. thanks again.

Option, search for MFS in store and click play. Got the auto install from there.

I have run into a simmiler issue, my game loads to a black screen for a few seconds then crashes with no explanation I have tried repair reset and even uninstalling it and redowniloading it (but download was only 1 gig?) I am very confused can some one help, maybe these issues are related to this topic

Dedicated folders were all excluded from MS Defender analysis so this point was already checked
In fact my problems is more with stuck decompressing

Dear.
I’m on Windows 11, I removed all the extra programs (rex weather), the community folder is empty, the Xbox app is installed and running, the store is up to date, deleted the store cache, and I still can see the mandatory update.
I’m a little tired of the constant CTD (my machine have enough hardware to run this game) and this issue of not ben able to find the update shortcut is really annoying.

Can anyone give me a hand?