Cannot get my new RTX 4070 TI to work

So i currently have a RTX 3060 (low end of the 30 series) and wanted to upgrade to the RTX 4070 TI since I am struggling with the 3060 and wanted to take advantage for FR Generation etc.etc. and to other goodies that goes along with the 70 series.

I have a MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Edge M/B (PCIe 4.0) however when I installed the 4070 Ti its doesn’t boot the monitor up, At first, I thought it was a DOA card but I returned it to the local store and got another brand new card and the same issue, can’t be 2 bad cards in a row🙂.I know it’s compatible with my MB. When I boot up my PC the GPU power “red” light goes and stays on, I am using the power auxiliary cables that were provided so power connections are all good on that end, I think. I have an 800 W 80+ Gold Certified so power requirements is good.

I am currently using my RTX 3060 so just doing a plain swap out of cards so no internal graphics (MB) being detected.

Did anyone on this forum have this issue or happen to know what may be the issue? I am just about to return the card for a refund, and a little disappointed since I was looking forward to the upgrade.

Thanks.

Your CPU and GPU can draw as much as 300watts each and that’s monitored levels, that’s not clamping meters. Gamers Nexus has shown actual use spikes even during post can escape monitoring software and exceed what is reported. (above maximum spec)

Long story short without including your motherboard, fans, lights, drives you’ve got 100watts of headroom.

If you do shop for a power supply go for a known top brand rather than watts per dollar/pound./euro/sheckle/ect

1 Like

Hello there,

Your topic has been moved to the Tech Talk category. The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside our other sub-categories.

Please check out these other categories for your future posts:

• Aircraft
    is where you discuss current or future planes coming to MSFS as well as assistance with liveries.
  • World
    is where you discuss scenery, airports, and weather.
  • Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
    is where you ask for help with flying.
  • Tech Talk
    is where you discuss installation, graphics, drivers, performance, CTDs, peripherals, and hardware.
  • Menus & Activities
    is where you discuss activities (landing challenges, bush trips, etc), plus anything accessed by the menus including the Marketplace, settings, logbook, cameras, etc.

Could be a power supply. But, more likely some BIOS setting or a problem with the power connection to the card from the power supply. I’d make sure you are using the correct cable type and connection(s) on the supply.

While 800W might ultimately not be enough, the card and CPU don’t draw peak power loads at boot up. Normally, when you are short on power the machine freezes or reboots when you have some load on it after the boot.

Another idea… I had an ASUS Z490 motherboard and there was a component on the MB that was blocking my card – a 3080ti from seating properly in the slot. I needed to remove of piece of plastic trim from the card for it to go all the way in the slot. Not very likely but make sure.

Thanks for your response. Yeah I have got the Corsiar GS 800 89 Plus Certified PS, so that should be good enough as least to power up. The 4070TI is not known to be power hungry either, so should be enough given that I have seen folks use the same PU (sometimes less though not recommended) with no problems.

I will look into the cable splitters (adaptors) set up.

Thanks again.

My 4070ti plugged in and worked. 800w PS

My Rig
Z390-P BiosVer 30043
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32768.0 GB DDR4 2666MHz
Resize Bar enabled

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
SanDisk SSD G5

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎8/07/‎2023
OS build 22621.2262
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070ti with 12g memory
Driver 545.37/536.40
DisplayPort
G Sync Monitor: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2721DGF
HP Reverb G2
Re-size bar - enabled

Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo
Thrustmaster TPR Pedals

Internet Speed
230.9 Mbps download
32.5 Mbps upload

Maxes out at 180watt power draw from searching duckduckgo

This may be dumb, but are you sure your graphics card is plugged in correctly, i.e. correct port,etc?

1 Like

Not sure what you are trying to say here?

It’s just that your CPU has a lower peak power wattage draw than his 11th or 12th gen, you have more headroom.

Oh and no two brands of 800watt power supplies are alike.

There’s top standard like EVGA, Corsair, Super Flower (yeah I have one), SilverStone that cant compare to some of the rip off bargain big numbers and pretty cables that lurk about.

Oh and I post this having the 850watt version of this new in box … I have been stung myself with substandard PSUs

My motherboard required a BIOS update. Solved the problem.

2 Likes

I still say you need more power!

:wink:

1 Like

Thanks for your input, it’s greatly appreciated. I will take a closer look at the adaptor cable set up to figure out the connections.

My PSU has a splitter GPU connector 8 pin and 6 pin. With my current 3060 it only has an 8 pin connector so I just connect the 8 pin and the 6 pin sits on the side. Everything works no problem.

The 4070 Ti has a 12 pin connector and they supplied a splitter adaptor 8 pin and 8 pin. I need to see if I can get a 6 pin (my end) to 8 pin connector so I can connect 8 to 8 on the 4070 TI connector. My direct 6 to 8 didn’t work.

So yes, need to do some work on that end to see if that works.

In terms of the plastic trim etc, all is confirmed on that end so that’s not the issue.

Thanks again.

Good. Hopefully, the power cable solves the problem. Definitely do a BIOS upgrade if you have not already done so as well.

HI Meh1951;

Thanks for your response, funny that’s the same Processor I have not that it matters :slightly_smiling_face:.

My question is did you get a splitter cable with your card and if so, did you have to use it? It seems that not all 4070 series cards were shipped with exactly the same connectors.

Thanks.

Yeah, I always want to stay away from BIOS updates if I have to.

Cheers

I am typically an early adopter and get motherboards and video cards when they first come out. Those first couple of BIOS updates are usually needed to fix the mess they rush out the door when they first ship. I find if I backup my settings, the BIOS updates fix more than they break.

Unlike FS updates!

:+1:

Cheers

no I did not. And no I don’t need it.

Sounds a bit like what I’ve had while building my new rig.
Question: did you try to plug a HDMI cable to your onboard graphicscard and looked at the device manager to see if your new card is recognized?
In my case it was soon clear that I first had to install the drivers.
Difference with your setup is that yo already had a 3060 installed and in use.

Asus TUG Gaming Z790 plus WiFi
Intel i5 1360k
MSI RTX 4070 ti 12 GB OC Ventus3x
Corsair vengeance 32GB/5500
Win11
1000W platinum PSU