Cannot start flights after graphics card upgrade

When I switched from my strix 1080 Ti to the TUF 3080 Ti, I didn’t even ask myself any questions, I did a secure erase under the Bios of my Nvme SSD, and I did a clean install of windows 10 .
So if I had a problem, it could only be material.

The game can start it means that MSFS run fine with your new graphic card. It seems that the sim hangs when starting a new flight. Did you try run sim without any add-ons in Community folder? There are a lot of add-ons cause sim hang when starting a flight, especially sceneries or ai traffic add-ons.

(Edit: sorry, I missed some of your inputs there! I dont think hardware problem. Look like the sim misses or have some important files corrupted! When no more solutions help. I would try test with old graphic card again, or fresh reinstall MsFS!)

Do you have any marketplace purchases, e.g.airports etc? These can cause issues in some circumstances - perhaps yours. These are stored in the official/onestore folder and are not ignored in safe mode and obviously not removed if you empty your community folder.

Ideally uninstall all these from content manager, then try loading a flight at a stock airport in a fairly remote area to reduce risk that this is a problem with scenery. Use a default Asobo plane to do it - the Cessna 152 is ideal.

If that doesn’t work, I’d suggest checking your nVidia control panel settings to make sure MSFS is configured to use the new graphics card and the settings there seem OK.

Also, just as an aside, you seem intent on railing at people trying to help you here. If you don’t want their help, there is no need to give them abuse for trying to give it to you, you’d be better off not coming here and ranting to yourself.

Do you have shares in XP12?

Sorry that didnt work out, I would have to say before you make the switch to that other sim, to wait for the beta to drop so you dont get stuck paying for it twice. The only other possibility that comes to mind is maybe your power supply doesnt have the ■■■■■■■■■■ fortitude to power the card? I know its grasping at straws, but it could be a possibility.

I have a 700w unit here that I just upgraded from a 600w (due to old machine failure). It could be an issue that the card is drawing more power in MSFS then the Power Supply can provide…

I take it the adding the path saved you from a re-install then? :wink:

@BubbaBlitz7348 I can’t thank you enough for your prompt, helpful, and sensible advice.

Unfortunately, it’s not the PSU. My PSU is is a 1000W unit and seems to have no problem powering this rather power hungry card. But the advice is true. When switching to a 30 series nvidia card you do have to make sure your power supply can handle it. As for dropping $60 on X-Plane, I already had the licence, so that is not an issue for me. That’s why I can state with confidence that it’s not the card or the driver. x-plane runs on it like a dream. They will not have anything like the visual feast that MSFS has, even when XP12 comes out. The visuals is the one single advantage that MSFS has. But the X-Plane folks are consistent and passionate, and well known for, making the best SIM. Flight models are better, there are no navigation issues, and systems like AP don’t have weird bugs.

This post is not about XP though. It’s about solving a problem despite Asobo not helping the community in any way.

@gordongreig welcome to the party. Yes. clearing out the community folder was the first thing I tried. My only comment here is that I would rephrase the “community folder problem”. People always say “stuff in the community folder causes problems”. My observation is that yes, you can have problems when you have addons. But the cause and effect is in fact reversed. MSFS breaks third party stuff. Not third party stuff breaks MSFS. It’s just more evidence to how poorly the platform takes care of quality control.

@MATSC133 I think your statement is partially correct. After 3 re-installs, I don’t really see how it can be corrupted files, unless they are corrupted on the cloud. I agree that the fact that the sim launches at all says that the sim is probably OK with the graphics card (although until you actually start the flight it doesn’t really use most of the directx functionality). It would seem that it’s problem is with some library, and most likely having to do with the aircraft compilation phase that it does for every aircraft (including default ones) on first use. But since it offers no logging facilities, we are left guessing.

The community on the forums is incredible. I just wish that Asobo would provide some kind of help. I would even be willing to pay for it, even though it’s paying for their lack of QA. When the game works, it’s mostly very nice (IFR is pretty much useless though even on a good day). But frankly, I am just tired of constantly having to either wait for very long downloads at least once a month or simply having to troubleshoot all the time. Other platforms just don’t give me such a hard time.

I want to fly, not to play a technician role… It now seems impossible to do with this game

You did read that I said Marketplace and not Community folder? There is a big difference.

Also, in common with every single piece of software that allows mods, it is the modders that are responsibele for ensuring that their mods are up to date and work on updated versions of the software. You seem to be holding Asobo to account for this, which is just wrong.

I guarantee you, 100%, that your issue is down to a mod, add-on or marketplace purchase.

Also it seems you actually aren’t that interested in listening to the people who are trying to help you. So having come to the party late, I am now leaving.

@gordongreig I did try it with no marketplace addons too. No dice. Sure, addon developers must do their own QA. That goes without saying. But the platform needs to be stable with major addons that are commonly used. It is not.

But regardless, I cannot find an addon that causes it (community or marketplace), and I keep testing with default aircraft only.

Does your setup uses one or two monitors (Displays)

I have two displays but MSFS is set up to use only one

Well said.

Are you using the latest Nvidia driver? I use driver version 497.29, that’s the most stable one for my 3080 or was and I tend not to keep updating drivers if they work. Give that a try.

@anon69344611 I am using driver version 5165.40 (the latest right now)

Try the older 497.29. The latest isnt always the greatest in my experience. You have nothing to lose by trying it.

I’ll give that a try in the evening. Thanks @anon69344611

1 Like

Hope it works for you.

I have 3 out of 10 times a problem with a none reacting msfs.exe when starting MSFS and using the second screen to e.g. setup a simbrief flight plan or executing some different programs. As long as the focus is still on the first screen (MSFS) everything works as it should be. Starting MSFS in windowed mode seems to solve this issue.

Thanks for the tip @lc4c - but I tried both windowed and not windowed, and I was careful not to change focus to another window in most of my attempts, as I am aware of the bug that causes MSFS to stop responding to mouse and keyboard sometimes when you change focus. Yet another mystery bug. But not the cause here…

Did you try the nekid goat dance, if you havent yet you’ll have to wait till the next full moon to try it.

2 Likes

@BubbaBlitz7348 next full moon is something like July 13th. That’s a long time to wait. Is there a dance that does not require a full moon? I would try that for sure.

1 Like

Out of interest do you have Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling enabled in Windows graphics settings?
Haven’t had it since I upgraded to a 3080ti so far, but before having HAGS on would cause my sim to crash all the time, turning HAGS off would stop it completely.