Cannot start flights after graphics card upgrade

@Asobo … I can answer that one for you … no not really. ;p There are a couple that monitor the lag threads but you dont see them alot, and they probably would not address this problem other then pointing you to zendesk.

Did you search the forums for your problem?

I’ve searched the forums as well as Google. Encountered many referenced to CTD on game startup after graphics card upgrade but not to this problem. The problem with searching can also be a keyword problem because when you search for “start a flight” or similar terms you get may results for starting the game itself.

LOL I did the search as well for ya and it was inconclusive (though I only check these forums). Like I said previously tell the launcher where the .exe file is installed when it ask, then see if it wont load a flight.

I think my next step would have to be aggressive.

• Follow advice from @Sonny3621 to use DDU to completely reinstall drivers (just to be on the safe side and give Asobo no excuses)
  • Completely uninstall MSFS - as in uninstall and wipe out any trace of it from disk
  • Reinstall it from scratch (that takes something like 12 hours for the out-of-the-box install, and if it actually happens to work after that, then a few more hours of setting up all my control mappings, addons etc. - in short a huge pain where the sun doesn’t shine)

Maybe that way I can get out of the massive gusswork. Based on experience with other bugs they have (like the completely broken Ap and ILS issues), there’s a very real chance that it would still not work. In that case, then it would be the end of my sad journey with this incredibly buggy software and I will just switch permanently to X-Plane…

1 Like

Well I’d try the quicker method first just to see. I thought you already ddu’d your drivers.

@BubbaBlitz7348 I installed the latest driver. But I did not do the DDU, which i don’t think would do anything. As I mentioned, everything else doesn’t have a problem. I have no reason to believe that the driver install is bad. But I’ll do the DDU anyway as part of a complete reinstall.

That will have to wait for the evening. As opposed to the Asobo team I have a job keeping my software quality up to snuff.

1 Like

Well good luck, I wouldnt do a game resinstall until I try the ddu stuff. If that doesnt work the yes re install the sim, but after uninstalling it make sure to find all the msfs stuff and delete them before start a fresh install. If I remember correctly in the appdata/local folder there will be on or two directories that need to be removed, and then remove the one in appdata/roaming, pretty sure there was nothing in appdata/locallow.

After you do that make sure to check windows add/remove apps and make sure its still not installed there as well and if it is uninstall it …

Or you could just reinstall windows from scratch Bwhahahahaha! that always fixes everything ;p

Well - did DDU. Reinstalled the sim. Went through all this pain - same result. It gets stuck in the same place. Cannot start a flight. Cannot use the game.

The only difference now is that it gets stuck with low CPU utilization instead of 1 core fully pegged. No practical difference.

How do they say? “game over. You lose”.

I would suggest to try to look at your problem from the point of view
that there are millions of other users, using this “incredibly buggy software”, that do not have a problem like yours.

2 Likes

I would suggest that you look at this problem from the point of view that there are tens of thousands of users of this incredibly buggy product that keep having problems reported on these very forums. And that Asobo and Microsoft are ignoring. You may also take the point of view that most major third party developers have gone on record complaining about Asobo’s opaqueness and the fact that they keep breaking their products and do not participate third party developers in pre-release testing. I would also point out the many youtube channels that politely point out the numerous problem and sometiems sheepishly retract their statement, no doubt after some threat.

I would also point out that I am no naiive user with 30 years of professional software development and management experience and with over 20 years of using flight simulation products. So taking a condedcending tone with me does not impress me whatsoever.

This software is super-buggy. They break it all the time. There is no end to the problems and the frequency is just growing. You cannot stick to a stable version because of mandatory “upgrades” that I don’t need once I finish getting over the problems that the previous “update” caused.

You can defend these guys all you want - but it is abundantly clear that they don’t care about their users or their third party developer community - commercial or free.

At this point it’s not even a choice for me. The game simply cannot work at all any more so I’m off to use a much more stable platform like X-Plane.

In fact, it is too simple to judge whether it is a new graphics card problem or a game problem. If the old graphics card is normal, it is a new graphics card installation problem. If it is not normal, it is a game problem.

Plus - let’s be clear. It’s not “my problem” . “My problem” is easily solved by walking away from this platform. It’s the whole community’s problem. They are stuck with this constantly breaking toy whether or not I use it.

@CDG0261 sorry to say, but you’re wrong. The graphics card is just fine. The directX test tool passes all tests. All games and software other than MSFS work flawlessly. It’s way too easy for anyone to just blame the user. Blame the hardware. Blame anything but the vendor. But this is not the first problem nor the last. Everything else works just fine. It’s super-clear that it’s MSFS.

I am a professional. I solve software problems for a living. I can tell quite clearly, despite the vendor providing zero support, zero debugging tools, and zero logging and troubleshooting tools - that the problem is this particular software and absolutely nothing else.

2 Likes

When I switched from my strix 1080 Ti to the TUF 3080 Ti, I didn’t even ask myself any questions, I did a secure erase under the Bios of my Nvme SSD, and I did a clean install of windows 10 .
So if I had a problem, it could only be material.

The game can start it means that MSFS run fine with your new graphic card. It seems that the sim hangs when starting a new flight. Did you try run sim without any add-ons in Community folder? There are a lot of add-ons cause sim hang when starting a flight, especially sceneries or ai traffic add-ons.

(Edit: sorry, I missed some of your inputs there! I dont think hardware problem. Look like the sim misses or have some important files corrupted! When no more solutions help. I would try test with old graphic card again, or fresh reinstall MsFS!)

Do you have any marketplace purchases, e.g.airports etc? These can cause issues in some circumstances - perhaps yours. These are stored in the official/onestore folder and are not ignored in safe mode and obviously not removed if you empty your community folder.

Ideally uninstall all these from content manager, then try loading a flight at a stock airport in a fairly remote area to reduce risk that this is a problem with scenery. Use a default Asobo plane to do it - the Cessna 152 is ideal.

If that doesn’t work, I’d suggest checking your nVidia control panel settings to make sure MSFS is configured to use the new graphics card and the settings there seem OK.

Also, just as an aside, you seem intent on railing at people trying to help you here. If you don’t want their help, there is no need to give them abuse for trying to give it to you, you’d be better off not coming here and ranting to yourself.

Do you have shares in XP12?

Sorry that didnt work out, I would have to say before you make the switch to that other sim, to wait for the beta to drop so you dont get stuck paying for it twice. The only other possibility that comes to mind is maybe your power supply doesnt have the ■■■■■■■■■■ fortitude to power the card? I know its grasping at straws, but it could be a possibility.

I have a 700w unit here that I just upgraded from a 600w (due to old machine failure). It could be an issue that the card is drawing more power in MSFS then the Power Supply can provide…

I take it the adding the path saved you from a re-install then? :wink:

@BubbaBlitz7348 I can’t thank you enough for your prompt, helpful, and sensible advice.

Unfortunately, it’s not the PSU. My PSU is is a 1000W unit and seems to have no problem powering this rather power hungry card. But the advice is true. When switching to a 30 series nvidia card you do have to make sure your power supply can handle it. As for dropping $60 on X-Plane, I already had the licence, so that is not an issue for me. That’s why I can state with confidence that it’s not the card or the driver. x-plane runs on it like a dream. They will not have anything like the visual feast that MSFS has, even when XP12 comes out. The visuals is the one single advantage that MSFS has. But the X-Plane folks are consistent and passionate, and well known for, making the best SIM. Flight models are better, there are no navigation issues, and systems like AP don’t have weird bugs.

This post is not about XP though. It’s about solving a problem despite Asobo not helping the community in any way.

@gordongreig welcome to the party. Yes. clearing out the community folder was the first thing I tried. My only comment here is that I would rephrase the “community folder problem”. People always say “stuff in the community folder causes problems”. My observation is that yes, you can have problems when you have addons. But the cause and effect is in fact reversed. MSFS breaks third party stuff. Not third party stuff breaks MSFS. It’s just more evidence to how poorly the platform takes care of quality control.

@MATSC133 I think your statement is partially correct. After 3 re-installs, I don’t really see how it can be corrupted files, unless they are corrupted on the cloud. I agree that the fact that the sim launches at all says that the sim is probably OK with the graphics card (although until you actually start the flight it doesn’t really use most of the directx functionality). It would seem that it’s problem is with some library, and most likely having to do with the aircraft compilation phase that it does for every aircraft (including default ones) on first use. But since it offers no logging facilities, we are left guessing.

The community on the forums is incredible. I just wish that Asobo would provide some kind of help. I would even be willing to pay for it, even though it’s paying for their lack of QA. When the game works, it’s mostly very nice (IFR is pretty much useless though even on a good day). But frankly, I am just tired of constantly having to either wait for very long downloads at least once a month or simply having to troubleshoot all the time. Other platforms just don’t give me such a hard time.

I want to fly, not to play a technician role… It now seems impossible to do with this game

You did read that I said Marketplace and not Community folder? There is a big difference.

Also, in common with every single piece of software that allows mods, it is the modders that are responsibele for ensuring that their mods are up to date and work on updated versions of the software. You seem to be holding Asobo to account for this, which is just wrong.

I guarantee you, 100%, that your issue is down to a mod, add-on or marketplace purchase.

Also it seems you actually aren’t that interested in listening to the people who are trying to help you. So having come to the party late, I am now leaving.