Cannot start the sim. Nothing happens after clicking "Launch" button in MS Store

Sadly, your suggestions did not change anything, Game will simply not launch so that I can the large 100+GB data part onto my F: drive

I would completely uninstall your antivirus and try again, though I suspect that with all these changes you’ve tried that you will have to completely uninstall and remove all traces of FS2020 and then reinstall it. I’ve found some of these 3rd party antivirus programs get too enthusiastic about blocking programs from accessing the internet, and so prevent harmless applications from running properly. I suspect that once the program has been blocked it will continue to be blocked without further checks being made.

I’m curious as to why you start the game from MSStore instead of from your windows menu or a shortcut on your desktop.

Im trying to run it from store, because i’ve read somewhere that for some people it helped. Previously i was always starting it from start menu or desktop(always :slight_smile: ).

Nice tip, i can give it a try, but can someone indicate me how to remove all traces of msfs from my PC ? How to verify it?
What i’ve done previously after @GameBlogger3710 suggestion was terminating, repairing, reseting and then uninstalling msfs. After that i’ve made registry fix by CCleaner and made cleaning with auslogics registry cleaner, later i’ve reviewed registry manually for flightsimulator phrase.
Can i do something more? to make sure that my registry is clean ?

I don’t use an antivirus program, only Windows Defender so that is not what’s causing the problem. I have tried launching from the MS Store and from XBox and also from the MSFS app. Use to have use a shortcut to it but not now since game is not fully installed.

I have the same question.

Those are the right steps to take. I had mine installed on a separate drive so I simply formatted the drive again but you might have to delete the directories where FS2020 was installed.

You may also need to remove these folders:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe
C:\ProgramData\Packages\Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Hopefully, once you’ve removed your antivirus, things might start to work again :slight_smile: I’ve found that the Microsoft Security anitivirus programs have been more than adequate for my needs. Another possibility is to check your antivirus settings and see if there is a section about preventing Internet access from unrecognised or altered programs and then disabling that to see if that works (before removing the program!)

I remember one person solved there non-starting problem by re-synchonising their computer time.

Right-click on the time on your tool-bar
Select adjust date/time
Select Sync now

I have had problems joining others in a group when we had slightly different times so this could be worth checking

1 Like

I did it too but this also didn’t help me.

@MichaMMA @PScaber @GameBlogger3710

It seems that my MSFS has started to work! Thanks to @PScaber advice about removing ESET and clearing the registry! (i’ve used external tool for registry clearing).

Yesterday i’ve turned the sim twice in a row without issues via start menu icon.
Today before work it also started without any issues.

Later this day, I will do some tests and if problem is solved i will provide detailed steps :slight_smile:
Thank you guys!

1 Like

MSFS does not make any registry entries.
The only entries may be from X-box or MS Store.

I knew it… this dam.n ESET yeah… therefore I asking about :joy:

Enjoy the Game :slight_smile:

1 Like

Problem solved.
Ok so as i promised. Here is the solution that helped me.

The issue was my ESET antivirus.
Steps below helped me so i believe you should also give them a try.

1. Remove all xbox apps from your pc
  2. Terminate repair reset and uninstall Microsoft Flight Simulator only the app(you don’t need to remove asobo data ~120GB)
  3. Terminate repair and reset gaming services
  4. Terminate repair and reset store
  5. Turn off all windows defender features(firewall, malware protection etc.)
  6. Uninstall your antivirus. In my case it was ESET
  7. Clear/fix registry with CCleaner (free version)
  8. Clear/fix registry with some other registry cleaner (in my case it was Auslogics Registry Cleaner) - it found a lot more issues with registry than CCleaner
  9. So now you don’t have xbox apps, windows defender and antivirus
  10. Enter MS Store
  11. Install MSFS
  12. Run the game - Voila! MSFS starts again :slight_smile:
  13. Enable Windows Defender (in my case after enabling all windows defender stuff it didn’t impact MSFS)
  14. That’s all folks :smiley:

The only thing left is missing ESET, I’m afraid to install it and dunno if i will. At least if something will go wrong again after installation we know the steps to bring it back again :slight_smile:

I hope it will help someone.

1 Like

Window’s defender is quite good, and doesn’t need any other protection.
You don’t need, nor will you miss, ESET.

1 Like

Just wanted to give a thanks, as I was having a similar issue to the OP - no matter what variation I tried, the game wouldn’t launch - this is on a brand new computer, brand new everything, and clean Windows 10 installed, activated and everything. I never even looked at the time and date until reading this thread. Sure enough, it was ahead by 12 hours and in the wrong time zone. The moment I adjusted and re-sync’d the clock, the game instantly launched for me. Thankfully that was all I needed on my issue, but thanks nonetheless!

1 Like

I’ve been running MSFS fine since the update and hotfix. This morning I try to run it and it wont launch…
I get the black screen with white border then it goes away… No idea why all of a sudden…
Only thing I can think of that may cause a problem is a Windows update but it worked after the install. I renamed my community folder and created a new… nothing… disabled Defender, no change… dont run ESET… only addon that updated was PMDG. but it worked after it yesterday… lost… saw the time sync thing…fixed the time sync… no change

Strange solution found… I remembered I tested disabling HT or SMT for AMD users… So I tried resetting it back to enabled and boom the sim starts… this case solved…

1 Like