Can't decide: Milviz 310R *or* the Kodiak

I think they are both fantstic planes.
I only own the Kodiak of these two so can only comment accurately on that one. Mind you i do use it exclusively with the free Nxi mod.
Pros:
Lots of variants and skins
Very good flightmodel that will have you actively use the rudder, specially on takeoff. Forget to trim for takeoff or too much aft CG and you will end up upside down next to the runway.
With Nxi a very strong and modern avionics suite and IFR capabilities. It can do full aproaches even on visual only runways.
Good system depth, even cabin temps are simulated. More failiures are to come as well.
General characteristics, it is a STOL plane with massive utility for the size. It can neraly haul its own weight in payload.
Massive range
Good sounds.
It is a powerhouse
Visually fantastic.
A lot of purpose. Realy easy to use in stuff like Neofly. It’s a workhorse that can give meaning.
Vistual cargo and passenders in 2 of 4 interior types.

Cons:
Cruise sound - Realy not the fault of the module, but the sound in cruise is mindnumbingly boring compared to a piston.
Slow - Chunky wing and beefy gear with big tires creates a lot of drag. Don’t expect to go faster then 175is GS
No inflight beta range, so no steep decents like the PC-6 and C208 though with flaps out she will drop quite fast if needed.
G1000 only - this is realistic and a mater of taste and is as much of a con as a pro.
Not a great handflier - While okey when you are in mountains etc. Otherwise any stretch, whe really is an AP designed plane. She is pretty twitch and the trim isn’t that great for fine adjustment.
Too good/capable? - More of a personal thing. But unless you really go sub 1000ft strips it really is so capable that it gets a little dull.
Sterile feeling - The biggest downfall of the plane is for me that while i have flow in it lot is that it feels Extremely sterile. It’s a brand new model with virtually no history, it even looks brand spanking new. While it is a workhorse, it feels more like a rich boy toy, if that makes sense.

It is amazing, as you can see by the top 5 list, but imo, with what the 310 seems to offer also in the extras and being a plane with a lot of soul, history, Piston sound unless you really want the STOL and brand new workhorse feel the 310 may interest you for longer.

3 Likes

Hi!
The C310R is perfect apart from the fact that the aircraft itself has no visibility around. Check some video before. The aircraft is working in all of its aspects.

1 Like

As far as I understand, anything being removed will speed up loading time, but I will say that I haven’t had much of a problem with keeping nearly all of my third-party aircraft installed. I use MSFS Addons Linker with all addons that let you choose an addon folder, then I just disable the ones I’m not using before flight to save loading time. That said, sadly most developers are moving away from letting you choose the install path.

I would say Kodiak cause even though the flying modeling is great on the C310…it’s too simple of an aircraft for me to enjoy. I don’t care about random failures and all, it’s still a basic aircraft in my opinion. Plus I hate the landings. Don’t get me wrong I can land it perfectly fine, I even gave tips to land it smoothly on another thread. But it just doesn’t feel right and I’m not enjoying it at all. So I’m back with the 414, Kodiak and obviously the 146 and 737. (the Fenix A320 will also be amazing)

Been looking at the 310 for a bit, but sofar i haven’t seen a single YT video where it gets landed remotely smooth. Tbh that is kinda worrysome. I understand some planes drop quite fast, but there should really be at least SOME flare/ground effect i gues?

Tbh, i would argue the Kodiak as a turboprop is more simple. No mixtures to worrry about and very capable avionics. Whole plane feels sterile and Airbus boring unless you really start to hand fly it out of tiny strips.
The 310 is more complex with having to more manage engines with cooling and mixtures and mishandling a lot of the systems will result in a failiure unlike the Kodiak (for now).

I actually asked for a refund for the C310. It wasnt for me, how much I hoped for it. The Kodiak i probably more something Im looking for. But generellay (coudl be cause of me) I dont really feel “THAT” when flying in FS2020. Not sure whats lacking, Im getting new aircraft, but…I guess you finally get tired of CTDs, stutter etc. It just takes away the realism from this sim. For now I will play around with the other aircraft I own, and maybe - maybe get the Kodiak. Depends what the next hotfix or update will do with the sim. =) also, for enjoying this sim fully, you might need better gear; ive just got an joystick (with throttle on bottom, and twitch-rudder). Thats not really very realistic eiter, Im afraid.

Another overlooked thing to consider is the amazing NXI. This piece of software (in my opinion) can run circles around the FREE version of the GTN750. Not sure if you can care about avionics at all but i would really take that into consideration.

Flight Model wise, i prefer the 310…

The 310 has more “character” because of the steam gauges. Just feels more like a plane.
Kodiak is also cool, but most glass cockpit planes tend to feel similar after some time.

3 Likes

Be aware that some people with low to mid (Honeycomb level) gear have found the Kodiak twitchy.

Personally I found the Kodiak fine, it behaves like you would expect a light weight aircraft with a 750 HP PT6 crammed in to behave. However I am using a Fulcrum yoke with a full 8" of pitch travel not a notchy combat joystick.

In particular it can be a real handful on take-off - with a tendency, if your unprepared for it, to rotate early then nose up far too much and then drop a wing and fall out of the sky. The solution is be aware, trim well, and be very gentle on the controls, just ease it off the runway, keeping pitch below about 8 degrees after rotate seems to work for me - problem is “gentle on the controls” can be hard to do using a short notchy combat style stick.

1 Like

X55 user here and i can confirm that the Kodiak is by far the most twitchy in pitch plane that i own. Tbh i think it is overly agressive. Watch a lot of the video of Rian and his takeoffs are a lott less dramatic and “on the toes” then what you have to be in the sim. In the sim even with the right elevator and rudder trip you have to be ultra carefull or you end up p side down next to the runway.

1 Like

As previously suggested I also happen to agree that if flying with a joystick without an extension the controls can appear twitchy. I also have a Fulcrum One and before I owned it I used to fly with what’s considered a good quality stick in the TM warthog. The difference between the two is night and day. So much so that I will sell the TM because I just don’t like it after experiencing how smooth and precise the Fulcrum yoke is. No problems with the Kodiak whatsoever.

The gimbal in TM Warthog is if anything, poorly regarded for it’s price. That’s the thing in the base of the stick the joystick rotates around. It’s actually little if at all better than that of the cheaper T16000/Airbus sticks, just with heavier springs. And it’s (rather weak) plastic, which has prompted people to observe that TM Warthog is a stick with metal everywhere except where it matters. Some actually prefer the T16000 as pitch/roll controller over Warthog due to lighter spring.

I don’t think throw/range of travel is necessarily decisive either. VKB Gladiator is a stick with rather short throw, but it uses completely different gimbal design than the TM sticks. The divided springs give lot better feel for differentiating between roll and pitch input (so you can for example accurately reduce pitch without bleeding too much input on roll axis), and I also like the feel of resistance more. And the most recent versions come with VKB’s signature dry clutch with adjustable damping effect, which further helps with precision. This is not to say throw and range of movement are not important, but the general mechanical design of two controllers can place them on completely different footing before that.

1 Like

…which could be used with the Kodiak? I am already kind of familiar w ith that’s so… Might be a plus! :slightly_smiling_face:

Any more info regarding interior of different aircraft models? I like the “diamonds”. There is something about getting it right which seem hard. Not talking about patterns and textures… More like it still very 2D. Which it is. :wink:Could also be that I need to use VR or any tracker…

I can’t really feel the spark in playing any longer… I might need a break from fs2020. Maybe it’s just that and has nothing to do with third party addons.

Cheers and have a great weekend!

1 Like

Sure. That’s exactly why I’m getting rid of it. You can mod them a little which may help somewhat but after having something much better I can’t use it anymore. You are right they spent the money on the grip and used a ■■■■■■ plastic gimbal. I might go Virpil or VKB when I decide to pick up another stick. The point is a good controller can make quite a difference to how one perceives an aircraft handles.

Sorry…Im not following… You got rid of… ? =)

Yes you can use it with the Kodiak. It replaces the G-1000. You can download it from the marketplace.

Interior wise, I like both cockpits. Totally different cockpits. One 70’s analog and another is glass. I see more mods on flighsimto for the 310 interior, not sure if that tells anything.

Sound wise (wwise technology), I also like both.

It’s completely understandable you’re getting bored of MSFS. I think the weather around this time of year can trigger many emotions, so don’t dismiss that out of the equation.

Have a great weekend as well!

1 Like

Buy the Islander, great fun to fly and to hop around the Caribbean, and she makes lots of engine noise, peeps know you’re coming. I would buy the Trislander but I’m on Xbox and currently it is not on the marketplace, hopefully that changes soon.

1 Like

Lol yep the Islander is a lot of (slow) fun :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The 310 has split flaps and an airfoil that isn’t conducive to floating. Light twins are not Cessna Skyhawks. Generally speaking, you do not expect (or try) to grease them on and the Cessna 310 is worse than most. I don’t have 310 time, but the Seneca I that I used to fly was a pig to land and it quit flying when you pulled the power—which was hopefully a second before it ran out of elevator authority. The fact that so many sim pilots are concerned by the landing behavior tells me that Milviz got it EXACTLY right. It feels just like a twin to me.

5 Likes

I have and love both. They are, with the JF Piper, my favorite planes in the sim. They serve different purposes, so depending on my mood for the evening, it’s usually the Kodiak or 310 for me recently.