Can't work Reverb G2, please help

Hi all, first time I’ve posted here, any help greatly appreciated

System = AMD 5700x, RTX 3070, MSI B550i, honeycomb yoke and throttle, Samsung 1440 monitor
MSFS is Windows Store
Latest Nvidia driver installed, openxr dev tool installed
Problem = Purchased new Reverb G2, can’t get it to work
Is there an basic step by step guide to making this work?
What I have tried so far from reading posts
Start computer with headset power off
Launch MSFS and allow to load
Power on Reverb G2 and allow WMR portal to start
I then find that I cannot control anything in the sim
Flight controls do nothing, keyboard and mouse sometimes work and sometimes don’t
I’ve tried windows key + Y
I’ve seen MSFS on headset once for a few seconds
MSFS freezes and becomes unresponsive
Fans on computer go to high
When I close WMR portal via task manager fans slow back down
MSFS remains unresponsive and needs force close via task manager

I have searched and searched forum and YouTube, can’t find anything about basic steps, here comments ‘like you plug it in and it works’

I cannot work out what I am doing wrong

I borrowed an Oculus Quest 2 and was able to get this working after reading posts on forum, I purchased G2 as this comes well recommended.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I have a G2 too, and gnerally have no issues like you’ve described.

I can start the sim before or after the headset - doesn’t seem to matter for me. Once in the sim, I can hit the “switch to VR key” and all seems fine, and I can switch back and forth between 2D and VR.

I have had issues with the mouse becoming unresponsive or disappearing. Usually this happens if (whilst in VR) I take off the headset and alt-tab or switch away from MSFS to use another programme on my other monitor (e.g. Navigraph or Litte Nav Map). Then when I put the headset back on, even if I’ve clicked on the MSFS window (showing the two “lens” views of the headset), sometimes (maybe half the time?) the mouse will not move or won’t appear. I can fix this by toggling out of VR, making sure to click the mouse in the MSFS window/screen, and toggling back into VR.

In terms of your problems, a few questions/things to check:

If your headset is on, I’m assuming you can see the WMR “home” etc normally, and all works OK there?

I’m assuming you’ve set up the “switch to VR” and the “recentre VR camera” keys? If not, you can do that from the VR options screen in the general options.

If you press the switch to VR key, what happens? Does the MSFS window switch to the “two lens” view, or does nothing happen at all?

At the bottom of the main menu, when your headset is on, does it show an option to “switch to VR” and the key you’ve mapped shown next to it?

Have you maybe bound the “switch to VR” key to something on one of your controllers too? Maybe a duplicate binding?

In terms of VR settings, what have you go on OXR and in game? You can max out the setting pretty easily, which might cause issues.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I get to the WMR home.

All keys are bound, could use them in the oculus and still showing as bound.

Actually just managed a 60 sec flight from Gibraltar.

Started on runway, controls working, alt tab into VR, all good then screen freezes and that’s it, had to force shut down.

OXR settings currently 100 and motion reproduction disabled

I’ve just changed VR settings to the low ‘default’ settings and make sure render scale is on 70.

Will see if any better

No idea what’s happening now ‘can’t sink to the cloud’ message, which persists after a restart, internet working and able to play videos.

I managed to fly for several minutes, took off from Gibraltar which is my go-to try something out location.

Set VR to default graphics settings and 70% render scale. OXR 100% render and motion reprojection off

Started MSFS, went to runway on monitor, once confirmed all working I powered up the Reverb G2. Got to home screen in VR, alt+tab, went into VR flight with double vision on monitor. All looked OK and the Bonanza flew fine for several minutes. Unfortunately sim then started going too black screen, losing sound, redisplaying frozen image, flying for a few seconds until I eventually force closed.

This is the best I’ve got so far, where should I go from here?

Really want to get this headset working, the Oculus Quest 2 I tried was frustrating to start with but then simply just worked once I got it running. According to (I think) VR Sim Guy, he says if you’ve got power to run Oculus then Reverb should run better.

Unless that is a typo, that may be your problem. The proper keyboard control to switch to VR is CTRL-TAB. It’s also possible it’s not mapped properly, when I first got mine, no VR commands were properly mapped, which drove me batty until I noticed that problem. The quickest way to find out is to search by name in the “Controls” setup screen, and simply type “VR”.

1 Like

Sorry, typo, control + tab

Quite a few folks are getting a completely black screen after a while in VR with the G2 and the solution has to do (of all things) with too high of an audio volume setting for the G2. Try Googling “audio volume with G2 VR going black”.

Try reducing your OXR to 50 or 60, increase the rendering is MSFS to 80, 90 or even 100. This may help.

Many thanks, I will try this, hasn’t come across this tip when googling

Thanks, I will try the above, and reduce volume, interestingly I am seeing 100 (I think) displayed when black screen appears and sometimes 50. I’m visually impaired so difficult to spot / read everything so not totally sure.
I’ll try reducing the render scaling in OXR also and see if this helps.
I’m hoping to get this sorted.
The Oculus was great but I thought the G2 was the way to go as gets such good reviews / seems to be the preferred VR for MSFS, also advice is gives better quality and easier for computer to run. With Oculus Quest 2 I was able to use some high settings and achieve 30+ FPS so thought G2 should be as good or better
Hoping I’ve not made a mistake, not ready to throw the towel in yet!

Just one thing to add here - I’ve had some problems with my G2 if I start it after MSFS. Shouldn’t make a difference, but now I always start the headset before launching MSFS. Other than that, I’ve not really had any problems with mine.

I have mapped two buttons on my yoke for VR … one to switch between VR and 2D; one to center the display. Much easier than raking around for the keyboard with the headset on :grinning:

Good luck!

2 Likes

There is a new cable that helps in some AMD systems that others no AMD systems not have. HP replace yours after some questions free, reading about that.

When I first got my G2 I experienced a few black-outs, but fixed it by removing the USB cable and pushing it back into the headset. A few days later it wouldn’t start at all so again took out the cable from the headset and reseated it, this time it went in a bit further, and I have had no problems since, so maybe your usb cable isn’t properly seated into the headset. It took more pressure than I was expecting. I’ll send a photo of how it looks as it is seat4d now, when I get back to my desktop computer.

I also found it made a difference as to which usb port I used on the computer, some wouldn’t work at all.

Thanks, I’ll try launching WMR first again, had been laughing once in sim on the advice of another forum post. Worth giving this another shot

1 Like

Thanks, good to know, I can ring HP support of needed. I have AMD processor and Nvidia 3070

This is interesting, I will check cable connection to headset. USB is plugged into a USC C port which worked, type A gen 3.? didn’t work but interestingly a 2.? did but thought best to use the type C

I have a similar problem with my g2.As soon as the wmr starts the cliff house stops working and my computer locks up.After a few minutes the freezing stops and I can use my pc again.I think it improves as the headset warms up and it will keeps going fine untill I turn my computer on the next day.I rang hp tech support and they are sending me a newer version of the cable.If you contact hp make sure you have your serial number for your g2 handy and your mother board make and video card type also cpu .

Yeah, I tried the type C but it didn’t work for me so went back to the blue, USB3 ones and, that worked fine for me. The teal, USB3.1, ones didn’t work either.

I seem to recall that earlier on there were some problems with the G2 and AMD CPUs. But I think that was fixed in the last MSFS update.