Carenado PC-12

Glad there was some improvement for you. Sorry about the FPS issue. I personally haven’t had any FPS issues, but that may just be my setup.

I actually am running MSFS on a well spec’ed Intel Processor iMac. I bootcamp into Windows 10 and run the sim from there. As I have an AMD graphics built in and limit my frame rate to 30FPS anyway, I don’t seem to suffer frame rate issues. Not sure if I am just lucky or if some of the reported FPS issues are mainly experienced on NVIDIA hardware. Who knows.

Anyway, thanks again for your input on this journey and all the best. Cheers.

1 Like

Is anyone else having issues with this aircraft ground handling? I’m having to put almost full rudder deflection sometimes to keep the aircraft straight during taxi, which seems absurd. And on takeoff roll sometimes I’ll need nearly full left rudder to keep it straight and other times nearly full right rudder. So it’s not a torque thing.

5 Likes

Sorry about the FPS issue. I personally haven’t had any FPS issues, but that may just be my setup.

I actually am running MSFS on a well spec’ed Intel Processor iMac. I bootcamp into Windows 10 and run the sim from there. As I have an AMD graphics built in and limit my frame rate to 30FPS anyway, I don’t seem to suffer frame rate issues. Not sure if I am just lucky or if some of the reported FPS issues are mainly experienced on NVIDIA hardware. Who knows.

And like you, I so much want to love this model. I have other Carenado models that I like, such as the C337 and the Mooney. The Seneca is OK and inoffensive in terms of flyability. And lately I have really enjoyed flying the V35B Bonanza (the Dr Killer). For the price is is a good basic model and fun to fly.

Unfortunately things like their C182 were not their finest offering and looks like the PC12 is also rushed to market and substandard.

Let’s hope yours doesn’t have to stay in the hangar for too long before a patch or two turn up. Cheers.

2 Likes

The issue appears to be related to taxi speed. Nosewheel steering drops off dramatically as the speed goes up. You can use differential braking to assist in directional stability. Also to reduce taxi speed without constantly riding the brakes, you can periodically use Beta Pitch to slow things down. If you have a throttle quadrant and are not sure how to set up for Beta Pitch, there are some good YouTube videos on the topic. SimHangar’s setup tutorials are particularly good.

2 Likes

where’d you get the old FSX/P3D info display?
would kill to be able to see sim rate when testing :stuck_out_tongue:

Shift-Z Stats:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/shift-z-stats/409877

ace! thx… this really should be in the game by default…

along with No Handlebar Tool. total lifesaver.

Have a question regarding interior cockpit dome and panel lights.
There are turn knobs above the light switches to adjust the brightness and they seem to be active (mousing above them brings up round arrow) but the intensity does not change. Is that simply a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I really miss the Dreamfleet A36 and the RealAir Turbine Duke!

2 Likes

So, found a couple work arounds that have massively helped in the few test flights so far !

Voltage Drop/Bus error:
Basically just flick the standby bus on after take off, and AMPs should drop from 60ish to 50, and the battery doesnt drain, stays locked at 24.4 and no essential bus errors!! (thanks @MT655AUS )

FPS degrade over time:
After start up just turn off the Avidyne screen and leave it off !!

Ive tested this a few places i was getting single digit FPS after a short time, as well as a 2hr flight finishing in Newyork (KTEB) and seems to hold out. Should help till we get the patch anyway!!

1 Like

I am glad the fps drop fix works for you but for me it does not work.

No other plane does this. I have repeated a 1 hour flight and after 45 minutes the fps drop is crazy. Same start and destination, only plane that does this is PC12, Avidyne turned off makes no difference.

1 Like

Yes, ground handling is awful. Like you I go from full left rudder and brake to full right rudder and brake, back to the left just trying to keep it near the center line. It acts like the nose wheel is floating just over the ground with no friction at all and the plane is trying to ground loop .

1 Like

Glad you’ve had some success. All the best.

I’m in the same boat with the FPS issues. Not many areas I can tweak from the hardware side - I’m already running a watercooled 3090Ti, 5800x3d and 64GB fast RAM. I was really looking forward to this - especially when I found someone had already created a SoundsAir livery. Loaded in cold and dark at Wellington for a trip to Takaka and got the usual ~60fps. By the time I was on approach the frames started to drop dramatically. It would have been manageable if it had just dropped to a constant, but lower, frame rate but what I was experiencing was a kind of mad oscillating between 15 and 30 which meant that if felt like the plane was holding back and then lurching forward every couple of seconds. Completely unflyable. Definitely not fit for release and just feels like it’s been rushed out there for a cash grab before SWS drop theirs. What’s worse is that this happens with impunity because there’s no way to get your money back from MS. Still, hopefully enough people will make enough noise that either Carenado will sort it or people will realise not to waste their money on Carenado products. I’m definitely in the ‘once burned’ group now.

I hope they don’t take their usual months to patch this thing.

If you scroll up a bit in this thread you’ll see how excited I was for this plane.

Now it’s out and I’ve got it and it’s just such a let down in its current state. Very disappointing.

I don’t mind stuff not being there or being omitted compared to the real thing, I wasn’t expecting “study level”.

But I do mind it when the things that are there are just plain bugged or not working correctly, or this silly FPS degradation thing.

I haven’t been this disappointed with a plane since Aerosofts Twin Otter (the sounds!!), and for me it’s definitely Carenados worst offering to date (I don’t have all their planes, mind).

Let’s hope they’re quicker with fixing this than Aerosofts lacklustre efforts with the Twotter so far!

1 Like

Like Ninjacanopnr (a few posts above), I am experiencing the “oscillation” phenomena in fps. It begins happening in as little as 20 minutes into a flight. Turning off the Avidyne for the entire flight does not help. Upon landing at a destination and coming to full cold and dark stop the oscillation continues. But here’s the kicker. It only happens when inside the cockpit. If I switch to the exterior cameras there is no oscillation. I fly VR only, and have things capped at 30 fps. When inside the cockpit the oscillation occurs approximately every 3 seconds. The FPS plummet between 6 and 10 FPS and then recovers back to 30 like clockwork. Each oscillation causes several quick stutters which makes approach, landing, and taxiing a huge headache. I’ve done several flights now and it’s always the same upon landing. Oscillations in the cockpit only. It’s as if something continues to polling or gathering data on a 3 second loop. If I start a new flight in the exact same parking spot at my “oscillating” destination it’s a solid 30 fps. So it’s not the scenery, it’s the plane.

I can live with the workarounds for voltage and such, but this has got to be fixed or this acceptably serviceable and beautiful aircraft is in the hanger for good.

i9-10900kf
RTX3090
Nvidia 516.94
64 GB Ram
SU10 Beta Current Build

So you’re saying I should use differential braking on my takeoff roll??? If an aircraft handled like this IRL there’s no way in hell I’d be flying it

1 Like

Sounds like BS to me lol

I recommended differential braking in addition to the use of beta thrust as a way of controlling the nose wheel during taxiing - given that was what I thought you were asking about.

Clearly you wouldn’t use braking during a takeoff roll, you would use rudder input only to counteract torque. Sorry I tried to help. Good luck.

1 Like

That almost identical set up to me, i also earlier on, turned off HAGS and Game mode, which i felt helped too, but avidyne off stopped the drop (so far)