Carenado Updates are available via Content Manager

Make sure to remove all 3rd party liveries if you have them installed

I get virtually all of my mods from flightsim.to, and unless a mod has the green “Known To Work In SU5” banner, or whatever wording it is they’re using, it’s not going into my Community folder. Or more to the point, I’m not putting a link in my Community folder as I use Addons Linker, which I recommend especially for purposes like this, as it makes turning mods on and off easy. Just click a box.

As far as Carenado and their patches go, until the release notes say “Fixed VR Issues”, I’m not interested in them, or their planes. Their tech support has been telling me for months that it’s being worked on and is almost done, meanwhile they continue releasing planes that do not work properly. Somehow they got the Seminole right, but nothing before, and nothing since. It’s like they’re not even trying, which is probably the truth. I can only wager they got the Seminole right by pure blind luck, because if it was on purpose, they would have done it for all their planes.

Kev

1 Like

You can’t be serious with that being your solution. That plane is broken as sold. If it requires menu interaction to shift fuel and shortcuts because the cockpit has non-functional elements, it is simply broken. According to your argument you might just as well leave out the flight model because you can slew around.

4 Likes

When you boot MSFS, it reads the whole file system and builds the Virtual File system right at the start. So, if you’re updating from the Content Manager, the whole VFS already exists.

Most likely, this bug is due to a conflict between gauges. This is a complete guess, but, it sounds like BBS rewrote some default gauges but didn’t change the path, or something along those lines? So, when the installer tries to load the code for the same gauges from the Carenado models (Carenado mostly uses default gauges), it can’t and crashes. Something along those lines.

The flexibility the VFS gives developers to replace files on the fly at loading is also a curse and depends on everyone playing nicely together. Asobo assumes all developers know the details of developing in an environment like this. The VFS allows developers to replace files with new versions (with more functionality). The problem is, people copy items, or use default paths that are the same and have filenames of the same name, for files that are completely different (the modellib.bgl issue that causes crashes because developers don’t bother to change the name of their library is an example, their library overwrites somebody elses of the same name on the same path, so when the first scenery calls out for an object in the library they thought was there, and, when it reads some gobbleygook from the second file that replace it, CTD) and this causes major CTD issues. As I said, I could be totally wrong, and it could be a completely different situation, but, the cause and result is likely similar.

And, yes, ultimately, this is Asobo’s issue. They should be dismounting the VFS, installing the files, then rebuilding the VFS after the files have been installed. Then at least the files get installed without interference. Sure, the gauge might get replaced by a BBS gauge when the VFS gets re-read, but, at least the package gets installed. I don’t know if this is being done at install at all or is necessarily the problem (maybe what I’m describing isn’t even the problem…? It is a problem, just maybe not the problem.)

1 Like

I payed for a functional aircraft. I buy it at the same day as su5 is coming up. I can´t make one "normal flight. Time for update is ok. But not 1 month or more. They know it is broken but they sell sell sell. Dollar Dollar Dollar. If they know it is broken they have to stop selling. So, sorry, it is fraud.

2 Likes

What makes you think Carenado are at fault here?

Carenado says at facebook they work on the mooney update. So I think they are not ready with it.

you might need to take a Snickers

I didnt say that I agree for the fact that the plane is bugged.
Just said that calling FRAUD might be overblown here.

The plane is still usable (albeit its a PITA) and not causing CTD

1 Like

Ah so that explains why my MSFS is now taking north of 8 minutes to load. I have over 100GB of add-ons :wink:

1 Like

Snicker is a good idea. With the money that I spent for the mooney I can buy a lot of snickers. lol

And now I go flying with my absolut great and well updated JF Turboarrow.

2 Likes

a bit OT, but how’s the turboarrow compared to the Mooney quality wise (dont count the current mooney bugs)

Much better. While the Mooney would be ok the realism in the JF Arrow is much higher. It has working circuit breakers for example. Engine failure and other features. It’s the best GA atm if one can live with that 70s style interior.

The Mooney is one of Carenados better planes but the JF Arrow is on another level.

3 Likes

Has anyone had an issue with the 182 in VR since the Carenado update a couple of days ago? I tried to fly it into Hurricane Ida but when I switched to VR it had my flying position on the floor. I had a straight on view of the foot pedals. Pressing the reset seating position kept putting it there. I ended up putting my headset on the floor when I reset the seating position which got my view close but not where I like it. I haven’t seen this issue on any other planes and it only showed up after I updated it in the content manager. I haven’t tried flying it since si I don’t know if it were a glitch or broken update. I’ve flown other planes since though and they are good.

Edit: I tried the 182 again yesterday. It was my first flight after turning on my PC. Same thing happened in VR. My viewpoint was looking straight into the rudder pedals. After setting my view by holding my G2 below my desk and backing to the right slightly I got it to reset to a close position. It took a lot of attempts before I got my viewpoint acceptable. About 30 minutes into my flight I got a CTD. I restarted the flight plan using the Mooney. No issues with the VR viewpoint on it. Clearly the update to the 182 through content manager broke it.

1 Like

The mooney is as all Carenado aircraft eyecandy. But realism is at the JF much closer to real life. I never fly a mooney in real life but the cherokee. The JF Arrow III feels very close. I think the Turbo Arrow is close too.

3 Likes

So an other week without an update on the Mooney…

3 Likes

Oh please! Where is the Carenado Seminole update. Shouldn’t these aircraft be labelled as ! BROKEN in the Markertplace?

Only 6 more nights for the next luck of the draw.

1 Like

Exactly what I am getting with the 182 in VR since update. By Carenado`s standards we should have it sorted by 2023. I own all their planes in msfs2020 and would have expected better from them. Do none of their testers own a VR set. If so, how did they let this big bug pass?

Marketplace update, no Mooney update. Sorry Carenado, past nearly 40 years of flightsimming and spent hundrets of dollars to your company I have to say… Never again. Not one Cent. You are on the wrong way. And to sell the broken mooney at marketplace after more then 5 weeks since SU5 is fraud!!!

2 Likes

They didn’t sell it broken, it became broken as the sim was updated. It is up to them to update their product so that it works with the new sim, though.

To give them the benefit of the doubt, its possible they have submitted a fixed model, but it hasn’t been approved. Wouldn’t the relay that via Twitter though?

Have you opened a ticket with the Carenado helpdesk to ask them about this? I would be interested to know their response.