Carenado Waco WYMF5 available now

Yeah. me too. And I love it - except the ground handling on takeoff. As soon as the tail lifts up the plane steers hard to the right.

2 Likes

It does seem to veer a bit, but many of my tail draggers need a lot of rudder on and right after take off. One odd thing I noticed was that I tipped it over when I first landed it (my poor skills), but it didn’t indicate a crash. It just sat there flipped over, with the engine still running. I have crash detection enabled, so not sure why this one acted that way. maybe there is a setting in the ‘ipad control panel’ these carenado airplanes display on startup that I need to check.
Lots of fun to fly around, I love the view out the cockpit.
Mark

1 Like

True that thing tips over like nothing. I tought I wasn’t rolling any more and put in the parking brake - face down… No crash detection enabled tho.

Does you compass work?

Yeah, it wants to run me off the runway, though it’s fine once airborne. Love the sound and the looks!

1 Like

The sound is really awesome specially from external view. And the copckpit looks more detailed than the other carenado planes. Must be the vintage style.

3 Likes

Shes a handful! Especially on the ground… that takeoff is wild… Not sure what I need to do to get it under control. Landing was ok, although it quickly runs out of elevator authority. Oil temp does not work, EGT and CHT does nothing… documentation lacks… she flies nice when in the air… need to step on the ball and coordinate turns… trims up straight and level really easy.

2 Likes

Bought it just now. Happy to see a more economical price than the other Carenado offerings. I would not have bought it at their higher prices, because I did not think I would like it.

Well I was wrong. What a character-filled aircraft. Take off was a disaster and I needed full aft trim to maintain a climb. But when airborne it is very nice.

Might need to adjust my controls to give more range as I could not loop it. If I do, I will make a note of current settings first.

Not sure why it has a manifold pressure gauge when only a throttle and no prop lever. I flew a Piper in real life with Constant speed prop, and it needed both levers. Any ideas on that?

I did land with no problem. But I was very gentle on my toe brakes. This thread alerted me to this before purchase. So I flew it accordingly and it came to a stop just fine.

Only tried one livery so far. I like it.

Gonna fly the heck out of it from both seats. Yes, you can move forward to fly from there, and the instruments work in the front.

No regrets buying it. Now please Asobo don’t break it with a future update…

3 Likes

Once I got in the air with it, I love it. On the ground, I struggle a LOT. Keep in mind, I don’t have a proper rudder yet, so I have to twist the joystick, and the way this handles requires you to twist it all the way. It’s tough because it seems to happen all at once. I have yet to take off without running off the runway.

3 Likes

I’ve experienced exactly the same. The second problem with a setup like this is the landing. You can only press a button to break so it’s 100% or nothing. Really hard to not kiss the ground here…

There is also an issue with the CG loading being forward, which may be exacerbating the takeoff issue.

But the mirrors are functional. No fake mirrors here. That really surprised me.

No icing or rain effects on the wings tho. Rain falls “through” the cockpit.

1 Like

was nice in FSX but is sublime in MSFS

3 Likes

Well I tried buying it in the marketplace in game and nothing happens, just says purchase pending. Typical Microsoft, they couldn’t run a booze up in a brewery.

If you have the steam version and it is hanging there it is because the steam overlay is not coming up. You need to figure out why that is. There are other threads here about this.

Yeah, thanks. I just checked that and it was enabled in global steam in-game settings, but was not enabled in MSFS for some reason. I may have turned it off to improve frame rates, but don’t remember doing so.

Anyway, plane downloading now.

well if it’s any consolation i couldn’t buy it right away either…seems that when you ‘run as administrator’ in MSFS you disable the Marketplace…
makes perfect sense

1 Like

It makes even more sense that I run as admin and I still have the marketplace…

1 Like

my left eye is twitching now…thanks

Bit the bullet and decided to buy this.

Fantastic plane.

I wish there was ability to “close” cockpit, as in not have it open to elements, kinda like canopy. I am not sure if those planes had that but would be cool.

It has tendency to dance on the runway, be careful when you take off.

1 Like

Here is my review of the Waco YMF5 Carenado Waco YMF5 Review - FS2020 - YouTube

3 Likes