CAT3B ILS - Dual AP?

That’s impressive! Can you confirm that the automatic thrust reduction to idle occurs and the AP doesn’t disengage on touchdown?

AP does disengage on touchdown however unless landing with less than 75m RVR and average visibility - I would typically disengage autopilot around minimums or sooner (1000ft RA) and fly the last part of final manually anyway.

What I can confirm is that you still need to RETARD just before touch down, moving thrust lever to idle, to avoid automatic TOGA and Go-Around, but that should be the official behavior in the real plane too.
Just set thrust to idle and plane will land, I do not disengage anything by clicking buttons, it does disengage automatically when you RETARD, that is as it should be, IMHO.
Cheers

1 Like

On the real A320 thrust reduction to idle happens automatically and varies with speed, v/s etc.
The retard reminder callout comes on at 10ft during an autoland. (20ft during a normal landing).

1 Like

Thanks for pointing it out: I’m not 100% sure if it happens because I always move manually to idle just before land, as a precaution, however I’ll check if it goes to idle automatically as well, it could be after all. It’s that it always seems to me that it is going long :slight_smile:

You didn’t do anything wrong, is a Arcade game right now. Maybe in the next two years…

As with everything give it time and it will be great.

I’d be interested to know how this works in a Boeing. I’ve only ever flown as a bus driver.

By the way - the answer to my original question. FlyByWire Sim added CAT 3 DUAL with both AP1 and AP2 in Operational Failure yesterday.

Confirmed working PLUS a full load of new features, such as interactive checklist on ECAM, FLARE and ROLLOUT annunciations and WHEEL ECAM. If you haven’t tried a32nx I’d say its currently the best addon you can get.

3 Likes

I assume you mean fail operational AP, not Operational Failure :wink:

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but if the AP disengages at touchdown, why is there a ROLLOUT mode?

1 Like

You’re absolutely right. That’s what no sleep will get you.

The rollout mode annunciates regardless of AP, so long as the FD is on.

In a very low vis landing the plane will rollout by itself and level out wing tips.

1 Like

Hey guys - I’ve been trying my darndest to get Cat 3 Dual ILS (ie. Autoland) working with the A320nx (v4.0 with MSFS v.1.9.5.0) but I just cannot - it worked for me once by engaging both AP’s on final with APPR mode etc but since then if it just switches from one AP to the other and stays in single.

Can anyone see from the screenshot at a glance where I might not be configured right or give me any other tips ? I am doing the right thing having APPR selected and trying to press both AP’s right ?

Galeo-Antonio is only CAT II ILS. You’ll need at least CAT III to land in fail operational.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.