Caught in update loop

I want to thank everyone who put forth constructive suggestions with intent to help. Unfortunately, none of those suggestions made any difference, but I just wanted to let you guys know it was greatly appreciated nonetheless.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Good to hear you got it sorted …

1 Like

All - Last night, one content folder kept crashing the game, gave up and tried today, all worked fine. When Sim checks for updates, it askes me to choose folder and wants to put something in it, then blows past that event, and finally opens game. Reading the correct version number. The two test flights I did last evening did as expected. Not sure if something amiss or not. Loads faster, and flights seem to also load faster. Fans don’t spin up as high, and I opted for DX12. The settings did get changed so had to reconfigure settings in Bravo and Virpil devices to a degree. Now it’s good, well as of last night it was good. Have not tested today.

Still seems way more work than it should be.

Well my reinstall via file integrity check didn’t work so it looks like it is going to be a full uninstall and reinstall. I’m way to tired to try it now so it will have to wait till sometime over the weekend. …Unless of course they get the problem fixed in the meantime. I won’t hold my breath for that one though. I’m off to get some sleep.

I am going to run SFC /scannow and Checkdisk /F/R on c drive just to make sure everything is good. Then going to try to reopen and see if that error or what is gone. Going to then back up the whole thing to portable drive, so getting whole game again won’t have to happen. It should be self repairing not so much.

That’s just how this game is. Any other game server I can download from up to a GB a minute, except for the just as slow PlayStation Network on the PS4.

A month ago when I bought the game the actual install took around 30 hours…with my GPU at 89C and 100% usage the entire time. My RX 580 hasn’t ran quite right ever since.

It took me 30 hours to install the game…it’s not an option for me either.

3 Likes

Yeah, downloads in MSFS are terrible. And I don’t for a second buy that it’s “heavy loads due to everyone updating”. There’s no difference in download performance whether you update on patch day, or sometime mid-month when there’s little download activity.

I have 1Gbit fibre. It’s blazing fast and rock solid. I rarely see speeds dip below 800 Mbits. Yet with MSFS, I struggle to hit 100 Mbits, regardless of the time of month I download stuff. The core update through Steam at about 900 Mbits and took exactly 8 seconds. Throughout my multiple attempts to update, the best I saw was brief moments where I hit up to 130 Mbits (not terrible, but not great), with most of it being in the 80-90 range.

My cable internet is reliable, nowhere near as fast as yours, but, using megabits, I should be downloading at 226mbps max (~28 MB/s)…Speedtest.net speed…Steam, Battle.net, GOG, Origin, etc DL at 104mbps (13MB/s)…but instead I top out at a blistering fast 13mbps (~1.6MB/s) in MSFS.

I once saw the DL rate get to the whopping fast 13.25mbps in MSFS.

I find it funny that your bad speeds are my good speeds :stuck_out_tongue:

The thing is, in the months after launch, I was downloading my MSFS updates in the sim at 400-500 Mbits. It was blazing fast. The January update is where the downturn came for me. For the next several months, I was lucky to break 20 Mbits. This also coincided with the time frame where I was suffering from the live weather only on first flight bug, which I was 100% convinced was a server side issue.

Once SU4 rolled out, magically, I was able to get over 100 Mbits downloading, and the live weather bug was fixed. I don’t think those 2 were a coincidence.

I see. I saw the premium edition on sale a month ago and pulled the trigger so all of these shenanigans are new to me.

For me, finally after updating the content manager files, the “checking for updates” and asking for a folder location has gone away. My download speeds have consistently been 15MBTS since inception, and speed test says 16.4 at the best, yes got very slllllooowww internet. But now everything works except avionics displays in the F-14, which has a patch out, but it does not work for me. They are going to release new version soon, I will just wait for that, chasing my tail is not fun anymore.

What is the official folder? Where it’s actually installed - or ??

msfs 2020 . is really confusing and unpredictable . Updates 5 and 6 caused me nothing but problems ,
This one went without a hitch. Done it yesterday . Took about 5 hours . But everything seemed to download and install perfectly , and as far as I can tell everything is working nicely . With this thing you never know.

The fact the install is complete is really no consolation so far. 100% CTD rate so far. 6/6 flights resulted in CTD, even in safe mode.

Haven’t had that happen yet .Fingers crossed

All - don’t know if this will help. I made sure content manager parts and pieces are all updated, every single one. Then closed up sim, ran SFC /scannow and then Chkdsk /F/R and that might have fixed any issues from the download. No more errors so far, but usually wait till the lady has gone to bed so I am not interrupted messing around with this thing. If its still losing the settings in sim, will just put it aside and fly FSX, it works fine. I am sure patch/update will be put out to fix whatever is wrong, in few days. Don’t forget, to clean out community folder, and then add back in only those things you have to have, because, SU7 might have broken one of those, and it’s causing issues like CTD’s.

Well I have just completed a full uninstall and reinstall of the steam version and the problem is still evident. I hope Asobo get a handle on this real soon and at least it would be nice if they would actually acknowledge that the problem exists.

Have you tried resetting all your settings? Judging by other threads, some of the settings won’t work right or at all until that’s done and can cause anything from odd or no input to CTDs. To me, it looks like SU7 might have been major enough of an update to warrant this game’s version of a “factory reset”…wipe all settings, cache, saves, etc and start over fresh.

For most people I assume that’s a bad suggestion. All I’ve ever done is set my controls, some discovery flights, some bush flights that never saved correctly, and fun runs; nothing I’m worried about losing, especially since my new VKB Gladiator modules arrived and I have to redo all my controls anyways (got the FSM, THQ, and SEM to compliment my G-NXT stick).

I have tried to install the new update now for a couple of hours, but to no avail unfortunately. The installation keeps on looping, it still has to install 2,41 GB and it has to update 1/31 files, but nothing actually happens.

I have tried to:

Delete FS Base

Opened cmd as administrator, changed it to
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Used a vpn

Updated the xbox app

But it all doesn’t work and I am getting pretty fed up with it…so suggestions are welcome

Have a nice saturday, Marc