Cessna 172 floatplane is completely worthless

I am surprised nobody has talked about how broken the 172 on floats is. The water physics are of course non-existent, but how about the constant warnings? Gears up for water landing, don’t sink and gears down for runway landing. They never stop sounding, and even if you ignore them you’re treated to having to take off at 40kts if you don’t want to be on an invisible roller coaster. Has anyone at Asobo seen a real float plane, even on a youtube video? I fail to understand the point of this plane if it’s going to be this broken.

I will admit, however, that it is indeed hilarious how bad it is; so that made it entertaining.

I am surprised too. The fact that Asobo have been trumpeting !WATER and informing us of great improvements to water handling is in fact laughable. I’m surprised that they are not embarrassed by their feeble efforts on this. Some cool dude has posted a fix for this. For me the Cub fix works better than the C172 fix. GBTAW post 10 August… Is it normal that the Cub Crafter X Cub - Floats can’t steer on ground? - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums After using this great mod I was able to shoot this video. Weekend Off in Ketchikan - YouTube

1 Like

Yep, same experience here. I haven’t flown the non-float version in a long time because I really want to live the “float plane life” :wink: It also seems ridiculous that I can hold the nose gear off of the runway, on landing, down to near-zero knots airspeed. Then again, Asobo insists on giving me 10 degrees of flaps, even when I’m starting out on a 10,000 foot asphalt runway, so what should we expect?

1 Like