Cessna 208B Mod (Power/Torque Behavior)

I made a simple mod for the Cessna 208B.
Link: https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/428https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/431

Increased Power and adjusted drag/lift to better match the real power of this aircraft.
I also changed the torque behavior vs. altitude, so that torque slowly decreases and not increases.
I adjusted torque effect on ground roll too.

Now you can perform short field take-offs nearly as you should be.

But I am only limited in what i can do, because I am not a pro and SDK documentary is very limited. I still havent figured out how to changed increasing fuel consumption to a decreasing fuel consumption with increasing altitude. But I capped fuel consumption on a lower value, to compensate a bit.

Also made a cockpit livery variation black/beige.
Link: https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/428

Also made a Quick Reference Chart.
Link: JDQRC Cessna C208B Grand Caravan EX QuickReferenceChart Multi.pdf (78.7 KB)

3 Likes

I think you meant

:wink:

Have I made a mistake with the links? For me they work.

This project have not been updated for a couple of weeks, but I have this mod and I like it. Would be great if you could pull your efforts together and merge the two projects into one:

I will check today :slight_smile:

I had searched for e C208B mod. If had known it exist, I probably would not have startet my mod. I will try this one out.

For the flaps, the actual aircraft the sim aircraft is modeled from (208B EX) really only does have two notches of flaps, not three. In the other 208 mod thread, someone posted a link to download the POH for this actual aircraft that also lists the correct HP and max torque limit. If you are using the widely available 208B POH (not ex) that is the for the less powerful engine and three notches of flaps, so it is not accurate for the aircraft in the sim.

Oh. Thanks, I will look if i find this POH.

I changed the flaps back.

Didn’t someone take over development of this mod?

@Exp232 (from the top of my head, maybe I got it wrong then ignore this)?

Edit: yes it is you! At that what I see on GitHub! Are you still working on it? Maybe you guys can team up!

Ah, now I found the note about this! Sorry, my bad

I really hope someone can merge these mods. The other one had a great addition for reverse thrust and lighting.

If not, I wonder if they can both be used simultaneously without issue?

Ps. Thanks for the QR card… very helpful.

1 Like

No, you won’t be able to use both together. They modify the same configs.

This is the best Grand Caravan EX AFM we have, which is still from 2012 and has a different propeller than the aircraft in the sim.

This is the only info I could find about the (I believe)correct propeller, which is about 15lbs lighter than stock and provides about 10% improved climb performance as per some articles.

Drosophila(retired) and Exp232 have made some great changes to the 208B, I’m currently running Exp232’s developer version with a few custom tweaks(yaw damper re-enabled, flap settings adjusted, steering angle increased) and having a lot of fun with it but of course it needs more tweaking with proper documentation and SDK knowledge!

1 Like

It would be great if you guys could merge and work together of course. I fly the Caravan exclusively doing sight seeing and bush jobs and the more realistic the better. :wink:

1 Like

@FrettFS thanks for the @!

I’ll definitely look at merging what I can use assuming @JayDee6281 is willing to share :slight_smile:

Anyone can use anything that my mod is providing and is of use for them. I´am not very skilled at making mods and my mod was only intented to be a interim solution for myself until someday there is a better mod. In the txt config files, everything I touched is clearly marked with a note.

What flap changes did you make? I’ve also increased the steering angle, just for personal preference to make taxiing easier.

Out of curiousity, have you tried changing the propeller to those settings? I took a look at what you posted, and changed the prop size down to 8.5 feet (which is what shows as max diameter) and it really seemed to make the plane much faster. Just going by feel there, no actual data comparisions. Curious if you tried it and what you think if you did.

The prop diameter on the EX model is 106 inches

There’s several propeller types, we’re not 100% sure which one is modeled. A Caravan driver commented on the ‘Caravan Issues’ about it. Hartzell has a 106" 3-blade, McCauley has a 102" 4-blade.

@Bahnzo3217
flight_model.cfg
[CONTACT_POINTS]
point.0 = 1, -2.3, 0, -4.18, 750, 0, 0.5, 51.5, 0.21, 3, 0.5, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

[FLAPS.0]
flaps-position.0 = 0, -1, 0
flaps-position.1 = 20, 150, 0.5
flaps-position.2 = 30, 125, 1

systems.cfg
[AUTOPILOT]
yaw_damper_gain = 1

I thought the model in the game was the 867HP EX version which only lists the 106 in the POH. The lower HP version POH lists both the 106 and the 102. Visually the prop is a 3 blade in the game. That all said, I can’t say with any confidence exactly what Asobo modeled in the cfg files as I have no inside info.