Changing Bing Maps!

You do also get popping issue with the new Bing map as it’s different than the base (old bing map) and you can see it forming in blocks at a distance …

2 Likes

But we must be careful otherwise the mods will simply merge this bug with this one Aerial ground tiles changing/popping in, and I believe they are not the same thing. (Although I suspect closely related). To me here we are reporting the fact the base images change randomly on different days of the week AS WELL as popping in and out.

4 Likes

I don’t know if it’s the same problem because it’s not changing from day to day. But sure enough, there are new Bing maps that look horrible…and they weren’t there a few months ago. These new maps are plaguing all around the world.
They have shadow and clouds printed in the ground and awful “AI-masking” the big clouds. I have seen the IA generated meadows in desertic zone…
I will post pics later.

It is really destroying the beauty of the sim.

1 Like

Same on Xbox. South Florida is totally devastated.

2 Likes

Around EBLG.

Capture d'écran 2024-04-28 6

i think most of these are the cloud removal mfs does on the base data from bing

I believe it too…But it wasn’t like that before…
And there are all those brown shadows along houses, on the roads…
And it’s getting worse…

1 Like

Is this fixed? It is starting to get worse around OTHH

If it is getting worse, it is probably not fixed…

1 Like

Can I ask, does anyone else notice that the scenery tiles from a low angle/altitude look blurry due to them not “popping in” in as a full res tile?

Is this issue new or old? I don’t think this is related to new or old Bing maps. There are lots of places that Bing maps don’t have detailed ground texture for and therefore MSFS renders a texture in low quality to blend in with the adjacent areas. This is an issue throughout the world in Sim but it’s not related to new or old Bing Maps. In the past few weeks (at least three), I haven’t noticed new Bing map loading up in the Sim and all has been the Old one we are all used to. This issue may be non-related.

The issue described by the pics is new in the way that it was not present months ago.

1 Like

EBLG is in Belgium. This was not an area of low res Bing maps.
I flew there a lot in the beginning of msfs 2020 and these horrors were not present.
I fly GA so I have a good look at the ground…

1 Like

My first fly in msfs 2020 was EBLG-EBTX. And I was amazed that I could follow the roads I know IRL. I have flown in EBTX IRL and skydived IRL in EBSP, so I flew these areas in msfs…and I can say that what I see today was not what I saw months ago.

2 Likes

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes, earlier in the year they updated to newer satellite imagery and it was great, so I updated my scenery to align. Then it reverted to the old and all my scenery now doesn’t line up but worse the satellite imagery is very old and out of date.

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

Yes, Bing maps went back to an older set a couple of months ago, after earlier in the year moving to a newer and much more accurate set (as currently shown at Bing Maps website). It seemed spotty at the beginning of the year as it it arrived, then disappeared, then came back and stayed for a month or so before disappearing again a few months ago leaving us with the old sat imagery.

Location & Time of Occurrence:

Australia, probably all of it, but of note I make scenery for YMES, YWLM, YAMB, YPEA, YPTN, YPDN, and other Australian military fields.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

hey bro… guess what
i have a feeling that they “fixed” the infamous tile popping issue by simply disregarding the new ground tiles… and defaulting to old dated tiles everywhere…

3 Likes

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

since recently, ground tiles are old, dated, and low res… a few weeks ago they were newer (taken at a later date) and better res

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Hhhhm… Not sure. The tile issue seems to be 95% ngone, except the odd mismatched line of map data here and there. But in most places ive flown since the sim came back to me, it seems vibrant and detailed terrain.

I’ll screen grab some areas tonight, cus you’ve made me curious now.

something is definitely up with the bing data, at least on my sim, now i’m getting the streets highlighted as if browsing bing maps… im pretty sure that wasn’t there before

That’s actually a shader they use to add some effects to roads/streets. Most of the time you won’t notice, but on certain conditions it can look ugly.