Cleared to Land RWY 29 Winds 274 at 74 Knots

The wind is crazy strong near Mojave California USA. So I just did a short flight to Tehachapi Municipal Airport in the Cessna 172, because why not? First I had to get high enough to get over the mountains. Then I requested to land at Tehachapi Municipal and was granted clearance!

By the way, I nailed the landing. I couldn’t see the runway through my windshield because of the clouds, but I could see it on the Garmin, so I used that to line up. I broke through the clouds at the last minute and landed. It’s fun to try things you wouldn’t do in real life.

5 Likes

Sure. 74 knots wind !? You are talking 85 miles/hour, while the heaviest storm warning in RL occurs at 67 miles/hour. Airports are required to close at 40-45 miles/hour. I would like to see you navigating in at 85. Your story reminds me of my grandfather catching a 600 lbs tuna fish, but it escaped last minute…

In real life Cessna pilots say their max crosswind is 12-20 knots and the plane will tip over on the ground at 30-35… it has to be secured safely and quickly when that wind occurs after landing. In this game there is a landing challenge for C152 at 20 knots. You are talking near 4x that wind speed.

This is what happens at 21 knots side wind in a real life C172 landing,

At 74 knots… you’ll be blown away. Anywhere.

3 Likes

I hear you. I’m not a real life pilot, but I used to be an aerial photographer using mostly 152s, 172s, or R22 or R44 helicopters depending on the job. That was before the drone erra. I would hire instructor pilots to take me on photo shoots. I have plenty of flying experience from those days.

But I did it in the game. I know it seemed like I wasn’t making much forward progress on final. I wish I was recording my flight.

Maybe I will create the weather again and record the flight as I do it again. Good times :relieved:.

But that video shows the challenges of a 20 knot crosswind. The landing I did wasn’t much of a crosswind, right? It was more of a headwind. Winds 274 landing on 29. I don’t know the exact heading of runway 29 in Tehachapi off hand.

1 Like

can’t be side wind, you’re not able to align to runway… indeed, a playback option is #1 on the wish list, I think that counts for all of us… that landing I did for a challenge in the mountains, with 20 knots wind… would really like to be able to keep it and replay, to see my errors… post it… :slight_smile:

1 Like