Cloud textures pixelated and grainy

Having done a bit of 3D modelling, I see it’s normal. Volumetric clouds / fog are the most ressource hungry things to render, and having them in realtime in MSFS is a feat of engineering.

The volume of clouds is a set of voxels (volumetric cells) in cubic shape. The level of detail just uses bigger cubes and a low number in low settings, and the opposite at ultra.

i made mine 80% better buy going into cfg file and set post processing to ‘0’ and ncp set image sharpening to ‘off’ makes it a little softer but hardly any gainy or pixelated clouds.

BUMP

@FutureFlyer828 Thank you for sharing this picture, it shows the problem really clearly.

Are you by any chance using Ambient Occlusion HIGH or ULTRA? What about OFF?

What fixed it for me, was to edit the UserCfg.opt file. I set Sharpen to 0 and FilmGrain to 0. Be sure to do it in the normal Graphics section, not in GraphicsVR. Result: Silky smooth clouds.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying that, but the file “resets” when starting the sim, also tried editing after start, pre/post-load, same thing.
Did you set it to “read-only” or anything else?

Nope, no read only needed for me. It just works. I have the Steam version of FS.

Hi Grinde81,
Is your MSFS installed from MS Store in the default location?

Here’s what I’ve noticed. When installed in the default, those file sync on launch. On my other PC, not in default, no sync… syncs when saving and exiting.

1 Like

I will check in sim. I am going to try this User.cfg fix. That picture I posted doesn’t do it justice… it looked worse in the game.

Tomorrow i will show my screens of the clouds since this last patchs.

Very grany and pixelated

Is it some kind of conspiracy that MS/Asobo had sold thousands of copies of MSFS 2020 showing things like wonderful clouds, terrain and reflection and then they started degrading them one by one in following patches which are forcefully applied without the customer having a choice ? I doubt if it is to create room for third party developers for creating and selling things like ‘cloud force’ , ‘rain force’ etc.Just my thought: I wish I am wrong though.

4 Likes

I did reinstall it twice (for different reasons) and it did not help.

Hello everyone, I’m sharing with you my issues with the clouds as well recently…

I play on Ultra, 1440p
RTX 3070
32 gb RAM
Ryzen 2700x
SSD… and 60mbps internet. I should basically get trailer quality plain and simple… And yet, here is what I get now :

Pixelated clouds borders

badclouds2

And this extremely ugly “grainy” cloud artifact. This looks to appear in darker cloud areas tho… dunno why :

badclouds4

Looks like there is no workaround… or is there one ? (oh wait… there is one for sure, dear Asobo : Revert the clouds, since nobody asked for a downgrade… :unamused: )

5 Likes

I too thought the clouds were better in alpha.

2 Likes

dear Asobo : Revert the clouds, since nobody asked for a downgrade… :unamused: )

Amen to that brother.

1 Like

Clouds were much more better in alpha…
PLEASE ALL TO REPORT PROBLEMS WITH CLOUDS TO ZENDESK-
thank you.

1 Like

yep, FSX active sky looked better!! NO grainy textures there haha

After last actualization 3/12/2020, the problem of Clouds pixeled keep going. When this old problem is going to be resolve?

2 Likes

No ,it’s your computer problem, or geforce configuration or graphics problem.
(irony mode activated)

here everyone says the same,

me too,

1 Like

This is a limitation of the technique Asobo uses for rendering the clouds. It’s either this, or absolutely horrible framerate. They mentioned something about grainy stuff possibly being fixed when DX12 comes out.

The enhanced cloudscapes plugin for X-Plane also suffers from this issue, so it’s probably not something very easy to fix.