Co-Piloting

Sometimes I like to have the he co-pilot fly for me so I can enjoy the scenery. However, a lot of times the co-pilot over shoots the runway or misses the landing altogether. Or at times ATC does not work when in the co-pilot mode. In other words, co-piloting is hit and miss as to operating properly. Is this just me or is it something that Microsoft has not perfected yet?

1 Like

I have the same problem

I don’t use ATC, but I have discovered a copilot behavior that may be relevant to this discussion.

Options > Assistance Options > Piloting > AI Radio Communications (ATC) does more than just radio functions.

AI ATC exerts autopilot-type control over route waypoints, even when I am not using any other ATC functions and have not engaged the autopilot.

When it is set “on” my visual waypoint markers disappear far too early and next-waypoint markers appear too soon. If I am near a destination airport then AI ATC displays the Pattern Entry marker and all remaining waypoints disappear. So, I have AI ATC set “off”.

But here’s the gotcha: Copilot automatically turns AI ATC to “on”.

If AI ATC was “off” before engaging the copilot, then AI ATC will be turned “off” when I disengage the copilot.

However, if I engage the copilot only for a few seconds, and a Pattern Entry marker is turned on during those few seconds, then when I disengage the copilot then AI ATC will be turned “off” but it will be too late. My remaining waypoints have disappeared and the Pattern Entry marker continues to be displayed until the end of the flight.