Cockpit feels tiny

Try the Zlin…look at the seat below you. Would be small for my 10yrs old kid. The seats usually show me how tiny it is…

I guess thats partly a general VR problem. Given by the limited FOV, you’re looking through a tube and in a real size airplane you’d see only a part of the cockpit. If you want to see more through your tube, you “shrink the world” by showing a larger FOV than your Headsets FOV.

1 Like

Hmm. I’d think this is more an implementation issue. I have that great feeling of a huge aircraft in dcs, heck even in squadrons. Nope, dont think this os related to fov…

Switching camera from „pilot“ to „close“ fixed that for me

Moved me closer to the instruments. Still, the seat and the whole cockpit feels dispoportional. Thanks fot the tip though!!

That is actually false. It’s not the FOV that determines the size, it’s the distance between your eyes. They implemented it wrongly by making the distance between the eyes in-game too large thus making everything feel small.

4 Likes

Please make sure to review the information I’ve posted here:
[FEATURE REQUEST] Cockpit Size and World Scale in VR

I was just reflecting in an email on my first experience last night in MSFS VR and sent this to my son:

The first thing I noticed was how small the cockpit was. I was so used to being in a large room, and looking out at the world through a 14x33 inch monitor… now with VR, you’re inside of a tiny cockpit and looking outside at the whole world. Plus, instead of the world turning in the monitor, the world stays level and the aircraft tilts. Sizewise, I was constantly hitting my head (virtual) on the A-Pillar and Ceiling. You have to reset your position a few times to get it right, but it’s quite small in there. Once I got the right/left and up/down position acceptable, I leaned back and passed right through the seatback. That was a trip. There appears to be no legroom at all in a $27 million jet. While seated in a good position for the dash and windshield, I found that the startup switches in the center console are so far back I had to ask someone in row 6 to flip them for me. :slight_smile: Eventually however, I was able to use this cramped environment to my advantage… I was able to lean clear outside the window at 300+ miles per hour and look back to check for wing icing. :slight_smile:

Just sayin’
Jim-Sim

2 Likes

Samsung Odyssey+ here. I just had my Father in law try this out, he was a pilot for 40+ years and he feels that the cockpits are small as well. “Like a toy version” in his words. He flew the Cessna 208B Super Cargo Caravan for FedEx from 1986 to about 2005.

What is your actual IPD and your father in law IPD? (not the headset, your eyes)

1 Like

Mine is 61.2, not sure what my father in laws is. I had him set it in WMR before loading up the sim. You do know I am on an Odyssey+ and IPD is the distance between your pupils and is set mechanically in the Odyssey right? And all it does is align the lenses with your eyes/pupils so that the image on the screens to your eyes is clear. It does not change the scale whatsoever. Changing the IPD in this headset makes the image clear or blurry. It never changes the image size. This would literally require the lenses to be moved further or closer to your eyes and/or further or closer to the screens in the headset. Test this theory with any magnifying glass. With the Odyssey and most headsets as far as I have seen the distance from lens to eye is relatively static. IPD has nothing to do with scale.

You might want to read my post linked above and maybe search the internet for more information.

Here is something I’ve posted in the aforementioned discussion you can try easily:

It is possible it won’t work for you because your IPD is near the lowest bound, but you might still perceive different sizes from both extremes.

2 Likes

The IPD setting on VR headsets is not just the mechanical lens spacing. Yes, that’s a big part of it, but the headset also ‘knows’ what the mechanical distance is, and provides that to the VR host runtime. The app is then supposed to use that spacing distance to set the offset between the virtual eyepoint cameras in the app, and because of that fact, IPD settings should cause perceived world scale to change slightly too.

Now, whether or not all the major hosts (Oculus, steamVR, WMR) are actually doing the above correctly is another topic, which I don’t have the data to answer. I can say that at least on my Oculus Rift and Quest 2, going from limit-to-limit causes things to look different in size, especially on objects very close to me, in other apps. I haven’t tested it specifically in MSFS, though.

1 Like

Just put a scaler setting in the menu like DCS.

Yep. I can confirm that on a Rift CV1, Quest 2, Pimax and Index.

I re-evaluated the helmet cliffhouse scenario and I’m pretty sure this is happening:
In WMR it does nothing on my Reverb G2. The only thing that actually seems to shift is the lens and the display @CptLucky8 - that’s probably the only reason why the helmet appears to change in size as lens and display slide together. Which while imho the correct implementation of that part I’d say that also the camera angles should change with the IPD which doesn’t seem to happen and is eventually causing all the issues we’re experiencing. It may even be the reason we all think that the focus isn’t 2m, but different. If I think correctly about that: angles not changing = different target focus for the eyes?

I’m not sure if that makes sense at all, but I’m almost certain that the angles change with IPD in the Oculus SDK (think I’ve read that in some open OpenVR issue ticket on GitHub)

I’ve been trying to closely look at this and the angles do change too but it is very subtle (and I didn’t bother comparing with the Index to such level of detail because the Index just works usually).

In order to see the angles changing, you can try using an aircraft with a central stick, bend over to put the eyes as close to the top of the stick (please don’t picture something else here…) and if you’re adjusting the hardware IPD slider and pay attention to the relative position of the upper tip and the lower features on the floor, you can see the angle is changing ever so slightly.

However I believe you’re also raising a good point: if the optics are calibrated for a short accommodation distance (say 1.5m instead of the more VR traditional 2.0-2.5m) and the angles are slightly wrong, it can cause a whole lot additional vergence/accommodation problems with the G2, although the virtual focal point (the angles) should usually be set quite farther away otherwise you’d have a problem adjusting when looking objects up close and objects far away.

Will have to look into this when I get to it. I was pretty sure the angles didn’t change. So either I failed or I’ve got (another?) SW issue that might or might not be related to what I’m experiencing.

However: I do (like massively) have problems focusing on close and distant object. When I’m in a car I can effortlessly switch focus from the side mirror or the dashboard to the objects behind them in an Oculus HMD as well as the Pimax or Index.
I can’t do that with the G2. I end up with eyestrain immediately when I try this.

Please note: it is very subtle an angle change. You have to really find a good position with relatively distant objects either in the close range, or something really elongated (try the cliff house cement floor over the cliff in standing on the grass next to it).

I need an environment that’s accessible to WMR, SteamVR and Oculus so I could compare what either HMD does.

Any suggestions? I don’t necessarily want to run the Oculus through SteamVR though as I don’t trust OpenVR.

Fact for sure is:
Oculus, Index, Pimax - in all three if them I see an obvious change in perceived scale between 58/60mm and 68mm (my IPD is 63mm). I don’t see that in the Reverb G2. The only thing it affects is how bad my eyestrain gets and maybe actually a subtle change in sense if scale. But not enough that I could say for certain.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.