Cockpit knobs keep turning

My MSFS install developed this problem so when I click on any rotary knob (ALT, speed, nose Up/DN, FMS, etc.) it sometimes get stuck and the knob keeps turning in the last direction, even if I released the mouse button. Clicking on the same direction arrow mostly does not stop this. I have to move to opposite direction. But in the meantime value changes significantly. Has anyone else encountered this?

Known bug since Patch 2.

Hover over the knob,dial and use center mouse wheel to turn. You may need to enable Tool-Tips so that you know you’re hovering over the right control sensitivity area and which way it’s turning.

2 Likes

One benefit of using the mouse wheel, which is all I’ve used since release, is it doesn’t matter which side of the rotary you mouse over, you can scroll in either direction.

5 Likes

Yup. Use the mouse wheel instead of clicking and you’ll be fine. Honestly, I don’t mean to be a ■■■■, but to anyone clicking dials to rotate them instead of using the wheel, you’re doing it wrong.

1 Like

Unfortunately for many dials using the middle mouse wheel changes the value by 10. While using the click changes it by 1. Kind of important on VATSIM…

3 Likes

That depends on the controller you have plugged in.

1 Like

That problem typically happens when you have something bound to more than 1 thing.

I would recommend either unbinding the keyboard or alternate controllers you have controlling that, or actually using the alternate input instead so you can get things in the unit of choice. It’s a way better option than clicking a knob in a cockpit that’s potentially bouncing around.

1 Like

Let’s take the A32NX as example, do you get a 1 unit increment on the heading knob with mouse wheel?

OK - so if I do not use a mouse wheel and only my touchpad mouse how can I fix it. This is causing me AP anxiety!

1 Like

You can bind the controls to your keyboard if that’s the case. There are likely keys already defined for it.

I don’t fly the A320. Not an airliner guy. But it gives me 1 degree increments on headings on every single plane using my mouse knob. Don’t know why it would be different on that one.

I did have the 10 degree issue before though, and it’s because I had my heading commands also bound to another external controller (I had HDG up / down bound to keys on my old Nostromo n50 pad). Once I unbound, the problem went away and has been gone since.

Nowadays I use the Logitech Multi-Panel, so it’s no longer an issue either way, but I still use the mouse wheel occasionally because it’s quicker sometimes, and never had the 10º issue since.

EDIT

I’m in a long IFR flight in the TBM atm, but I’ll load up the A320 once this is done and test it out to make sure.

I found it’s frame time related. The lower FPS I got, the more often this happened. It almost feels like if your action is quicker than the time to render a frame, then your action may get snapshotted and stuck.

Mouse wheel works fine as it should with the A320. Like I said, if it doesn’t, that typically means you have a conflict in bound controls.

I don’t use the A320Nx mod, but just asked my son who does (and flies the A320Nx pretty much exclusively), and it’s always worked for him without issues as well.

1 Like

Thank you for checking and putting together the video. You went above and beyond. I have heading inc mapped to a panel box similar to the Logitech one. I disconnected that one but no change…So I decided to disconnect my Honeycomb Yoke…Low and behold, it increments and decrements by 1…Obviously, this is not a solution, but there is definitely something strange going on as I do not have anything mapped remotely resembling a heading bug…

Seems to be a know issue…Definitely a sim bug. Happens with any switch that has a constant ON state (starters, light switches, etc…). Just confirmed that by turning all Lights off and unmapping the magnetos and that solves the issue…Non starter…

Use mouse wheel to turn them. And if you click it and you get the continuous turning, just click it again to stop it.

Had I known you had the Honeycomb I would have told you that right away. I’ve read about that bug often. But I was correct. It’s a clash with another mapping that causes the issues.

I believe it’s the switches on the yoke that cause the issue if memory serves me right.

Just a side note: I believe that holding down the “Shift” key while turning a rotary will increase the increment units. Acts as a multiplier.

Unless it’s been changed…

You are indeed correct…Hopefully this issue gets resolved with the latest update. Many use the Honeycomb Yoke and they are listed as a major partner. They also just released their bravo quadrant with additional switches…So you would expect this issue to be addressed soon.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the problem does not seem to be solved yet, as with the Thrustmaster Airbus Throttle Quadrand caused by engine starters 1 and 2 when on, which causes problems in setting the direction and speed of the aircraft when turning the mouse wheel instead of 1 units move by 10 units? … When they are on off everything is fine.

Greetings