Complete reinstall?

Had no luck updating to 1.5.7. Would totally hang up at “CHECKING FOR UPDATES” even after deleting Community folder.
Now after updating to 1.5.8, still the same problem, so it looks like I’ll have to do a complete uninstall and reinstall.
Does anyone know whether this would install to the latest full version or would I still have to do all the updates separately?

No. It installs the current version without having to deal with updates from very begining. I just did so yesterday. It was about 2Gb of MsStore + 167.5 Gb in game download. Some people say I woulndnt need to download all the vame again but after uninstalling from “Windows Setting App List” it was the case for me.

Kind regards.

1 Like

The “Complete reinstall” is only 1Gb+ , “The core”-The loader".

Whatever content you have in Ofiical folder , you copy/put away to an auxiliary drive, deleting the contents of the real one.

You first update “The loader” ( 1Gb+ ) in Win Store

You fire up the sim , the new version will be there and will begin “Update” , yo let it start with a few file , you pause it and quit the Sim.

You replace the now "empty oficial folder " ( almost ) with your previous content yo have put away before.

Start up sim again and it will recalculate what is still to be updated… wil be a subset of the whole

Has worked for me… but be aware it will still be in de 10 Gb+ range ( depending of the update ocassion.

Greetings

If you are MS Store:

Go to Settings, Apps
Under FS2020 APP, click “Uninstall”
Then,
Go to MS Store
Click “Install”
It will download the initial 1.96 GB and install it.
It will then ask you where to install FS2020.
Default is C:\ (the boot drive)
Tell it where you put in the previous install.
If you don’t know, let it default.

If the additional 170 GB is present and intact and the download sees it,
it will not download it again.

Intact meaning hasn’t been modified via the protected files.

If the additional 170 GB is present and intact and the download sees it,
it will not download it again.

How can we do this ? Can we take a backup of base/core files to use future reinstalls ?

I would be so happy to do so because 170 GB redownload from scratch is taking quite a bit time :slight_smile:

Kind regards.

I did a total reinstallation and it is taking a long time. After that, no real changes, still poor graphics performance (RTX 3090). we must add the many other bugs in the game … I don’t really want to play it anymore …

I wonder what resolution and render scale you run the MSFS with RTX 3090 and what kind of perf. you pull from it ? I’m on RTX 3070 now and looking for future update to RTX 3090. But even with RTX 3090 I don’t know if I would be able to get constant 35 40 @ultra with on add on fields ?

Kind regards.

4K render scale 100 , other options 200 … Before I have between 35-45 (NY LA Tokyo …) but I was not able to constant 45 FPS or 40 fps, but always over 30 fps … I believe that ly CPU (bottleneck) Now, I have 23 and drops to 17 FPS …
Confige
i9 7900x 4,5 (oc)
64go ram (quad channel) 2400
SSD MVM
3090 TUF

1 Like

At least constant 30 with real 4K and ultra is fine. Thanks for the info.

It may be beneficial for you to upgrade your CPU ant it will release a bit more FPS for you I guess.

Kind regards.

1 Like

After uninstall, the reinstalation option is not starting…
When go to MS Store MSFS…-Deluxe aperas as “Manage”… Go in and install…
Nothing happens…
Can any one help??

This is hard to explain.
For MS Store purchased only.

I had FS2020 installed on my D:\ drive.
And the D:\ drive has nothing else on it but FS2020.

• C:\ has Win 10 plus Office 365 plus FS2020 (the initial 1.06 GB)
  • D:\ has FS2020 (the additional 170 GB) (D:\FS2020\ subdirectory)
  • Note: initially, the DL program would let you install in a subdirectory.
  • Now, it does not. Only to a Drive, I am told via other posts.

Note: C: and D: and 2 Partitions of a 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD

• C: as 100 GB
  • D: has 400 B

I use Acronis True Image to backup my PC. So, The D:\ drive is backed up.
With the other drives: C:, D:, F:, G: and H:

Doing 4 reinstalls of FS2020, I have not had to re-download the additional 170 GB.

Also, because my 170 GB is installed in the D:\FS2020 subdirectory, I only need to restore that subdirectory if needed.
And, I can put other software on this drive (in other subdirectories) and not affect FS2020.

It is important to note:
My C:\ drive has the initial 1.06 GB.
My D:\ drive has 2 subdirectories of FS2020.

• D:\FS2020
  • D:\WpSystem
  • Both were installed by the download program.
  • I must be sure to backup these 2 subdirectories.

But, there is no guarantee that the 170 GB will not need to be re-downloaded.
That is up to ASOBO.

• As long as their update does no affect the 170 GB
  • As long as their download software can modify/change data in the 170GB

As far as how do you do it, you don’t need to do anything.

The download program will not download the additional 170 GB if it can see it already on your PC and intact (just like it left it from the previous install)

The important point is that you do not modify the “Protected Files” unless you really know what you are doing).

You can use any of the options under the Win 10 “Settings, Apps” to
Uninstall, Move, Restart and Reset FS2020.