Configured for landing at what point?

On an approach, when should you be fully configured for landing, is there a set point?

On an ILS for instance is it before course-fix or final approach fix etc

Still learning :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good question and I think you’ll find that it’s different not only between different aircraft, but also between different pilots.

I’ll give you some examples from general aviation as that is where all of my real-world experience is.

A general rule of thumb that my CFII taught me was that you should be configured for approach by the time you’re about 1 mile before the final approach fix (FAF). We were flying a Cessna 172 at the time, so definitely not a fast mover. Because of this, we would only use one notch of flaps until we were basically crossing the fence, then put the rest in and land. We held off on flaps to keep speed up on the approach since it was a rather busy airport, and there’s no real benefit to being extra slow and dragging it in with full flaps.

When I did my multi-engine training in a Beech Baron E55, I was taught to leave the airplane clean until glide slope intercept, then as the glide slope is just about to be captured, drop the flaps to approach and drop the gear. Then fly it all the way down at around 120 knots until you’re certain of the landing before putting in landing flaps.

Overall, a good rule for light GA seems to be keep approach configuration until you’re certain of the landing, and then get fully configured for landing. For faster aircraft like jets, it definitely needs to be done further in advance.

4 Likes

Assuming we’re talking about airliners:

I turn on the landing lights below 10000 ft. I slow the plane down to 200 kts at the DECEL waypoint (or in the case of the A320neo, the autopilot does it itself). From then on, I gradually slow down by however I feel fit, reaching the landing speed at about the point of catching the glideslope. I also open flaps gradually as I slow down. Finally, I lower the landing gear either ~10 NM from the airport or at the beginning of the glideslope.

I don’t know whether these practices are “correct” or not, but I’ve seen these from various simmers on YouTube. Do as you feel comfortable and after a while you’ll develop a routine for the different aircraft. Also, every approach is different, so what you do when may also differ. As long as you enjoy the sim and walk away from landings it’s all good. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m GA at present but thanks for the info :wink:

Well then, since they’re usually light and slow I land them completely randomly. :sweat_smile: They’re very easy to land so I usually don’t pay much attention. I probably don’t configure much until the glideslope.

3 Likes

Airliners usually have to be fully configured for landing and not deviating from the glide slope or localizer at 1000 ft, or have to go around.

A typical flap setting for the a320neo would be flaps 1 and set speed to 180 kt before turning to intercept the localizer, set flaps 2 and speed 160 kts at 2500 ft, then full flaps, gear down and set the autothrottle to managed speed (or the apporach speed you want) high enough so that youre established and configured by 1000 ft.

In addition to the above, check your plane’s documentation if available. Some have a max IAS for each flap setting, while others just have a single max speed for flaps, regardless of whether it’s one notch or full. For instance in the Kodiak (if you know me, stop rolling your eyes), you can slow down fairly easy once you get to that first speed. Bringing the engine to near idle will let the plane slow, then once the speed drops to the first notch’s max, bring that in. Your speed will start dropping faster, so notches two and three will come fairly quick after the first. Once you hit that last notch, start bringing in more throttle or you’ll drop right out of the sky. Keep your airspeed in the mid 90’s until you’re over the threshold at most airports. Once you cross the fence, you can start pulling the throttle back and let the plane settle. If you fly the Caravan, it should be similar.

1 Like

I’m guessing its a difference between a piston and turboprop engine but are the turboprops generally harder to slow down?

Coming up from the 152 and 172 with a little break in the DA62, i’m finding decelerating a whole lot different in the C208B

Almost all of us are still learning, and your question is a good one. I was thinking about this as well so thank you for asking it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

IRL turboprops can slow down quite fast because of the massive prop. When at idle, the blades flatten out and act like big speed brakes. Some aircraft like the Pilatus PC-6 Porter are capable of using what’s known as the beta range to flatten the blades even more and slow down even more in flight. This allows for extremely steep approaches and I think the Milviz PC-6 offers this functionality.

In the sim, however, prop drag is not really simulated very well by default. This leaves a lot of aircraft way more slippery than they really have any right to be. To combat this, simply plan it a little further in advance.

2 Likes

Thanks, maybe i’m just not reducing throttle as hard as i should be yet, i’ll do some more practice :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are not thinking the throttle is controlling speed?

Think pitch = speed
Throttle = altitude.

I was taught set up by the time you reach the FAF.

I appreciate that is a good rule of thumb to remember but keep in mind that when trying to fly an instrument approach and you need to slow down, pitching up isn’t gonna do you much good. You need to reduce power and adjust pitch up slightly to stay on glideslope while re-trimming to reduce the control pressure. In other words, you need to adjust pitch AND power at the same time.

You certainly know this if you are currently in instrument training, so I don’t mean to be condescending. But it can confuse new pilots to say “pitch for airspeed, power for altitude” when in reality you’re always doing both, for both.

Yes, it needs both on approach, I was thinking more of the way altitude/speed seems more directly connected in a piston plane than it does in a turboprop. Probably just my perception so far, maybe more connected with the constant speed/variable pitch prop over a variable speed/fixed pitch one as well.

I’ll keep practicing, i did do some fun tests to find a rough setting for a 3deg approach yesterday, it was something like 1050rpm, prop full, flaps full, 85kias - this is one great thing with the sim, answering ‘what if’ questions.

1 Like

My bad wording, i should have said “maybe i’m not reducing throttle and adjusting pitch as hard as i should yet” My reading gave me PAT - power, attitude, trim for changes and once trimmed for 3deg adjusting power will stretch or shorten the slope, I think thats right?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.