Confirmed improvements of airflow/propellers coming

I reckon this is such a big and important thing that it deserves it’s own thread. In today’s Q&A, Seb explained the work they are doing with airflow and propellers in preparation for the helicopters and how it will also improve lot of stuff for planes.

It’s a great presentation that visually shows different things like prop wash, wake turbulence, feathering etc. They are basically doing a ton in this area that will be shipped out in the coming sim updates!

If you have any doubt about MS/Asobo being serious about these kind of improvements, then please look at the presentation [OFFICIAL] Live Dev Q&A - Twitch (starting about 28:38)

Really looking forward to this and thought it was a great that they took the time to go into the details!

23 Likes

The most interesting Q+A presentation I’ve seen for this. They really went in depth with it.

11 Likes

And with a new Feature Discovery Series covering aerodynamics currently scheduled for 17 Feb, I’m hoping to get even more into this subject and how they’re going to implement the new capabilities into the sim down the road.

2 Likes

Will be cool to use that airflow visualisation also to test the airflow. Looks like they have higher res on the airflow too since before release. I would like to see the whole spectrum of airflow. Hope that will be possible in the future too. Like to see the air moving between buildings and such things. I also wonder if this new updated airflow also will be used to create updrafts from hot air moving upwards?

1 Like

This looked very nice in the Q&A. I would have liked to see what happens when slipping instead of rolling. Also the rudder pedals seemed neutral with the slip indicator roughly centered, this can’t be the case with one engine out.

Only thing which is completely wrong (could be the engine model) is the Kingair starting up with the props unfeathered and Seb unfeathering the prop in-flight by moving the prop lever forward without oil pressure (engine is shutdown). The PT-6 is a free turbine engine, anytime the engine is off, either intentional or unintentional the props feather and you can’t unfeather them without oil pressure (starting up the engine). Some multi-engine aircraft have an unfeathering accumulator or electrical unfeathering pump, but this is not the case on the Kingair.

10 Likes

Hope it’s only a test build.

1 Like

They said that the modified airflow could/would be used to affect scenery objects, but did they cover whether it might be used to affect the flight of other aircraft?

For example, if you take off in a C172, directly behind an AI/player 747, would your day be completely messed up or not? :slight_smile:

1 Like

EXCITING improvement !!

Looks like an exciting addition … but with all things added, there is a risk for breaking other things. So how Compatible will existing planes we with SU8.

there was a brief mention of needing to change Flight Modeling !

I’m curious about this too. Maybe they can even make it a toggle in the settings so if people don’t want it they can turn it off. I’d love to see the effect in the Sim for AI/multiplayer.

2 Likes

They did say that this modeling would add a more realistic wake turbulence modeling :+1:

4 Likes

Yes but they also said it was one easy change. I’m not a dev though. I didn’t exactly know what he meant. I think it was some parameters to change that tells the form of the propellers.

Seems so, upon closer look both condition levers are cut-off in the video.

1 Like

Maybe they updating more things on that plane. Only testing that specific feature. Was fun to see some aerodynamic things. Was long time since we seen improvements on that :slight_smile: I really hope that means they now can create low airflow that creates gusts without manually adding them by naturally formed friction like you asked for :slight_smile: Because on the video i can see the ground affecting the windflow. Before the airflow was not in contact with the ground at all to create friction.

Maybe he was just demonstrating the prop changes and the rest of it was a test set up

3 Likes

I really hope this is a test built because upon closer look it doesn’t look good at all:

• The Kingair should start-up with props feathered no matter the prop lever position.
  • With one prop feathered there is no asymmetric thrust visible (rudder pedals neutral, no slip).
  • You can’t unfeather the prop without oil pressure, engine needs to be running.
  • Upon feathering the right engine, the propeller stops and remains in fine pitch.
4 Likes

It’s also a default aircraft. What to expect. I would like it to be propperly simulated though.

Maybe send a zendesk now to have it fixed at release of su8? :rofl:

1 Like

Ok, let’s assume positive intent and focus on the improved airflow - if I was testing the airpflow, I;d want it all set up so I didn’t have to worry about any of that stuff

3 Likes

Yeah hopefully that is the case. Its looking really good, I didn’t check-in from the start so I’m watching the airflow segment of the Q&A as we speak.

2 Likes

But going forward they should take into account that real world pilots are also watching who will immediately catch those details :joy:

3 Likes

Didn’t understand the part where the air flows forward in different directions from the propellers?