Constant CTD every flight now (ntdll.dll)

Agreed, And you confirm my points: that the user-facing report should not read, “your bandwidth” (It’s the word “your” that is the problem.) And that error capture requires very careful thinking in order to accurately pinpoint any issue.

two longish flights today (LGW-SPU-LGW) without crashes, live traffic off

l thought there is a su10 beta forum for avoid mixing report from both side CTDs - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Hello @NiKoTin3420,
Normally this is true where we like to keep feedback separate between a beta and a public build.

In this case, we want to keep it combined as it is the same issue with both builds.

6 Likes

Stuttgart-Catania, 1h40 mins, all good. Live traffic off, Bing maps on. Location: Germany.

I didn’t use FBW’s remote MCDU, which also helped in my last crash-less flight. Causality or coincidence, I don’t know.

Good luck to the developers!

After many CTD on Friday and Saturday I switched OFF on Sunday all online functionalities. 4 flights: no CTD.
Today I switched OFF only Live Weather and Multiplayer. One flight from EIDW to LGAV (CJ4): No CTD
But at the destination with payware airport (MS-Store, Flytampa) there are no buildings and no real Runways. Empty airport.
This is not acceptable

2 Likes

I haven’t suffered many CTDs, but I also have hardly flown since this started and I had my first CTD in months. Last night I opened the sim up and found it working noticably slower than in the recent past. I didn’t fly, but just tested things while sitting in the Fenix on the runway at KLAX. That had me looking at memory usage and I found that the sim was using more memory than it had in the past.

I have 64GB of memory and I was dipping below 30 GB free just after loading into the plane on the runway. This is about 15GB more memory usage than I recall before. Also, I was seeing a lot of page faults, something I hadn’t noticed before, but I also hadn’t looked before. Nothing has changed in my system to cause the page faults.

Finally, MS Defender does seem to eat a lot of resources and the game operates better with it turned off. It does seem like a bad idea to turn off all the virus and threat protections, but I do it only when I open MSFS.

3 Likes

Just a theory, as I don’t know how everything is implemented…

Sometimes I had crashes when moving the camera, especially after spawning at the gate. It feels like… uh, scenery is not in the memory (RAM or VRAM), so it has to be loaded from disk (or even worse: online), something like that.

Maybe there is some code waiting for the data, but if the data is not available fast enough, it crashes the Sim (not handled, race condition, null pointer, whatever…)

So, maybe we currently have more spikes in the latency of some online services (or they are just unavailable or do not respond) which randomly leads to exactly the same behavior.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it right now to check if the error codes are the same and as stated above, just a theory I got reading comments about scenery not loading properly, stuttering Sim shortly before the crash, own observations… I mean… I did the (more or less) same flight twice… Crashed the first time shortly before reaching cruise altitude, set up everything again and completed the flight successfully. Same route from Simbrief, same plane, same Sim config and online services… I know, it’s never exactly the same, but as equal as it can be.

What I want to say… Maybe the devs have to look for an issue that existed long before, but might be ocurring way more frequently due to some environmental changes.

I had crashes even if not-moving

If that’s actually true then thats not so great, if it receives corrupted data then it needs to be able to deal with it and not just CTD.

Internet being a never guaranteed platform for traffic routing, guarantees, a need to verify what’s being pushed to the client surely? but hey, I don’t know, could just be another bug, this is very complex no doubt.

I don’t know if there is a connection, but I was able to do 2 flights today LFPO LFKC LFPO without CTDs.
I turned multiplayer ON to choose a server in South Asia… So far it’s working.
Real-time traffic OFF real-time weather ON Bing map ON
I try a slightly longer flight this time LFPO GMAD 3h flight.
It’s already better than this weekend when it was impossible to land.

1 Like

MS / Asobo xbox booth at Gamescon … I wonder if they have a special setup to avoid CTD, dedicated server, different version… will be interesting to see if anyone reports about it.

2 Likes

Succesful full flight with addons Embraer 190, payware airports, AIG etc. Bing on Live weather on mutiplayer and live AI off. Same settings as I had on all CTD:S friday to monday.

1 Like

Looking reasonably promising then from these reports, I will try my flight again tonight and report back later.

I think the only explanation is server issues. I’ve been trying to reinstall MSFS over the past few days, and the server download connectivity for the game itself, and the world updates, is all over the place. I try to do it very early in the morning before people in NA wake up, and it jumps from 400 Mbps down to 3 Mbps, and never consistent. I’m on 1 Gbps fiber, which is always working well for everything else.

I am so glad I read this thread.

I started getting CDTs on Saturday but managed to finish my flight in the Fenix A320. On Sunday, flying LEMD to EDDF, I got a CDT on take off. I spawned in at EDDF to fly the return leg but after setting the flight up, I got a CTD on push back. There seemed to be a pattern emerging as the CTD all occurred about 30 minutes after spawning into the airport. No error messages just straight back to desk top.

On Sunday, I decided to go back to basics. Nothing in the Community folder, starting in Safe Mode flying only default C172 from default airports along the North French coast. Same thing, after about 30 to 40 minutes flying, a CDT with no error message. I tried a number of times to finish a flight, each time, restarting my computer, choosing safe mode and turning off my Rolling Cache just in case it was harbouring any corrupted code. Each time I got a CDT after about 30 to 40 minutes, I even tried without real weather but got the same result.

I ran the App “repair” function this morning and started a short flight after starting in safe mode with nothing in the Community folder. That worked so loaded some commercial scenery into the community folder and tried another flight in the C172 without real weather about 30 minutes long which again worked. I loaded some more scenery and set up a longer flight in the C172 about an hour long. It worked faultlessly again.

The interesting thing is, that when I’ve had CTDs before this, my flight history log showed the finishing flight as “vicinity”. None of the CTD flights over the passed 3 days were logged in any form. All today’s flight were properly listed.

I don’t know whether things are back to normal or I was lucky. This is one of my pet peeves about MSFS2020. I would have thought a warning could have been posted in the News forum to alert players to the alleged server issues. Had my flights not gone as they did today, I would have started the laborious and time consuming process of uninstalling and reinstalling my MSFS setup.

Surely it doesn’t take much for MS/Asobo to give us a “heads up” when these things happen which would prevent played taking drastic and unnecessary action in the hope of resolving problems.

12th Gen I9 Processor
Win 11
128 GB RAM
2 TB SSD
Nvida Geforce RTX 3090 24 GB GDDR6X
MSFS Server - Northern Europe

4 Likes

Just completed two flights (not in a row, restarted pc in-between) with no CTD, with everything in the data settings on and no changes, exactly as I had it before. A good sign that for me at least it’s hopefully fixed but will test again tonight.

A question: if this was server related is there a chance it’s fixed itself without anyone doing anything, or does that kind of thing just not happen? I’m no expert!

2 Likes

4 hours flight completed without a crash. it looks like there is progress

4 Likes

Successful flight from KSAN to KDEN in PMDG BBJ
2hrs 5 minutes flight time ,both payware airports and flying on USA east coast server ……with AIG
Phew ……

1 Like

Seems to be working here okay for now as well. Just had a ctd after a two hour flight on the way back to the main menu, but turned off PG ran a 20 min then turned it back on no ctd and fps stayed peg’d at 18 which is a little low, but not as bad as it usually is this time of day.

You know it was reported that the sun was having unusual strong activity and we were due to be hit by the magnetic storm as a result, and that was for Sat. And Sunday…coincidence???

3 Likes