Constant CTD every flight now (ntdll.dll)

So here we are again with more CTD issues on MSFS 2020.

Not using the beta using latest stable version and it is CTD every time now. checked event viewer and it shows the following:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.26.5.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000021422a3
Faulting process ID: 0x1ee8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b42b0d6424a9
Faulting application path: F:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: F:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: 93a25910-08fe-44b8-9306-8e720e56ced5
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

anyone able to work out what the issue is.

thansk in advance.

3 Likes

Iā€™m having the same today. Also crashing on ntdll.dll sometimes (again).

Try running command prompt as administrator and paste:

SFC /scannow

Also worth running a chkdsk after that. Paste:

chkdsk /f

Having said that it may be total coincidence that this seems to work. It did for me but I just got another crash now and switched it off to go to bed and deal with it tomorrow - too frustrating!!

5 Likes

yeah thanks Baracus250 have ran those commands already

Topic moved into Community Support

surprise surprise restart the sim and a new error appears

cant even load a flight now

2 Likes

And it randomly coses again

1 Like

Iā€™m dreading starting up the game today. Always feel heart in mouth ā€œwill it let me play todayā€. Even once loaded Iā€™m not sure now. Got 5 or more CTD just during flight yesterday in some new planes I bought that I wanted to check out as well as some of this startup nonsense.

Gave up last night. Donā€™t know why your post got hidden.

If only the error messages meant something more precise weā€™d know where to investigate.

Desperately needs a logger to see if itā€™s a specific mod causing the crashes.

7 Likes

Exactly the same errors. Tried to start with- and without a flightplan, doesnā€™t make any difference. Also the music ā€˜hangsā€™ and after that itā€™s overā€¦
Iā€™ll try the DDU-way, as I think itā€™s (probably) the newest displaydriver with a flawā€¦ (516.94 WHQL)

Maybeā€¦ what version would you put on instead?

Iā€™m starting to think itā€™s traffic related. The new thing I put on was the new Simple GA mod which requires AI Offline traffic and Ultra for model variety.

Before that I was running with no traffic for a few days and still got a CTD on my last session but they are more often now. Total mystery. Booting up now so letā€™s see what occurs today!

EDIT: ā€¦aaaand CTD on starting flight. 0xc00005 job

have you already tried to disable xmp mode in bios ?

PS: may be intressting for you might be these topic MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read

I had a surprise night off from work last night, and I sat in front of my computer with the insatiable urge to flyā€¦but I havenā€™t flown in months because of the constant fear of CTDs. That fear turns my excitement into dread. I canā€™t enjoy my time flying when every stutter might be a CTD. I ultimately decided to do something else. I miss flying so incredibly much, but MSFS is unusable for me until I know for sure Iā€™m not wasting my time prepping for a flight that Iā€™ll never get to finish. MSFS is the only game or program I have problems with. Iā€™ve run stress tests with no issuesā€¦ Iā€™ll try again with the next update, but itā€™s been several updates since I flew without fear.

10 Likes

Same here. Iā€™ve never had a problem with CTDs before (like most people Iā€™ve had the odd one now and then), but a restart has always fixed them. But in the last 24 hours Iā€™ve attempted 4 flights with different aircraft, and somewhere between 20 mins and an hour into the flight, theyā€™ve all resulted in a CTD. Iā€™m not using the SU10 beta, so despite not having had any recent major updates, something seems to have changed in the last day or so. Hope SU10 improves things when it arrives.

6 Likes

The recent spike in CTD, also discussed at length in MSFS Application Error - memory could not be read btw, might be linked to the availability for download of the latest beta software, which is likely to have caused a bit of spike in demand on the MSFS servers.

How and why this seems to be the case is one for the devs, who to be fair, are apparently looking into the issue.

I have also had two CTDs yesterday, one halfway through a flight and one while loading. I do use the FBW and a couple of liveries, but I have had them for ages with hardly any crashes.

In a community we had yesterday three crashes and today multiple ones, all from people who had a stable MSFS so far.
I today had the first CTD for aboud half a yearā€¦
We are all on current release, not SU10 beta.
Some people get crash events in eventviewer, some donā€™t. Some get popups upon crash, some donā€™t.
My crash today was with nt.dll and had a different code (34 I think).

Something is going on and since we couldnā€™t find a common factor (installed software etc.), itā€™s hard to tell what it is.
Maybe some update of gaming services or windows that got rolled out? But I always install them manually hence did not update for some time nowā€¦

4 Likes

these one: ntdll.dll / 0xc0000374 ? ā€¦

Where I assume that have nothing to do with the ā€œmemory could not readā€ issue.

Iā€™am since three hours in the air and no issue so far.

1 Like

Yep, I think that was it, here my exact position:

I will try another flight later on the same route to see if that was just a one-off.

There is definitely a spike in CTDs in the last few days, but canā€™t tell if they have a common source.

I must say that I have a lot of scenery, the Fenix, AxisAndOhs, GSX, Volanta etc. running. But apart from GSX nothing changed compared to the last weeks and months of flying with no issuesā€¦
Others experiencing CTDs in the last few days have a much more ā€œvanillaā€ MSFS setup and still have the crashes.

2 Likes

that would be nice. I mentioned here that I knew these kind of CTD from a map issue and if you get same CTD at same location we can be sure :slight_smile: But may be there are other reasons. At least @Kassadgla now know, that he is not alone.

1 Like

I had no issues since I bought the game but since August 16, I am experiencing CTDā€™s all the time. I first repaired, then reset, then uninstall and re-install, to no avail. I have only the PMDG in the Community folder and always a CTD a few minutes later during setup. About to give up and hope SU10 miraculously solves the issue. It does noy make sense on why all of a sudden, the sim has become so unstable.

@chrisross106677 Try
Rename exe.xml to exe.xml_copy
Delete file named content.xml

Rename community folder to community_copy
Create an empty community folder.

Launch msfs.

edit
Also delete and turn off rolling cache.