Constant CTD’s on Xbox with 3rd Party Scenery & Airports

I’ve done a complete reinstall and added all of the world updates and so far I’ve had no crashes.

Think I’ll leave it as it is. Just hoping I can install Concorde with no issues.

I had the same.

I unistalled everything then just installed MSFS with no add ons. All worked fine. Then I installed all of the world updates. All worked fine.

Then I installed DC Concorde, started MSFS and got as far as sitting on the tarmac at EGBB when it CTD.

So I then uninstalled the Concorde and it has worked perfectly since.

The only developer and airport I’ve found to be stable on #xbox is FSDG Rhodes. I’ve not tried other 3rd party scenery created by them, but every other developer’s scenery crashes out almost all the time.

Indeed, is in fear of these ctds issues that now i play Msfs on Xbox without third parts sceneries, aircraft and whatever else.

1 Like

I only own 1 airport as they are well known to cause crashes on Xbox. EGGW and it has worked so far….

No improvement from the SU10 Beta. Was hopeful given the Xbox Stability testing.

1 Like

I hope they are analyzing the data and will come with some fixes by the time SU10 goes Live.

3 Likes

I am also having no success with add on airports. So frustrating. They look fantastic but I always lose all radios or glass screens go blank when in the airport vicinity. Then complete crash of XBox. It’s a real shame they haven’t addressed this problem as the detailed airports add so much to the experience. Simply unusable and a waste of money.

3 Likes

I can say having moved from xbox to PC that all of the large airports I own that crash on xbox do work on PC but consume huge amounts of VRAM (sometimes 12-14GB+) so I believe this is a memory limitation. I tried my “crash” airports on xbox with SU10 beta and they still crash there so not fixed yet.

The real crime here is that these large airports that crash on xbox are “approved” for Marketplace on xbox and made available when they should be PC-only until they work on xbox (just like other content that doesn’t work on xbox).

12 Likes

Just to confirm… None of the 3rd party airport works on Xbox so far. I bought 5, last one just yesterday and all of them causing CTD. All of them Are bigger hubs need to say. They usualy crash when parking at gate and doing preparations for flight or short after arrival at gate. Funny thing is that unless you try to start aircraft at gate (you are just sitting there cold and dark), you can do anything you want, pan camera around, drone around, but when you switch the plane systems on, count to CTD begins… At it will come, usually sooner, sometimes later, but it will come for sure.

6 Likes

To be safe at the moment on XBOX you either don’t buy any airport and sceneries or just buy smaller ones. I have 4 only and no sceneries. The largest is EGGW which is quite large but it works fine on XBOX S. One thing to say is that if you buy large hubs that crash now hopefully they will work in the future. Not good enough but better than nothing. All I buy so far is planes which I enjoy very much.

2 Likes

Yep, seems that way - i’m running pretty much plain vanilla, just the WU packs installed, no planes or airports purchased at all and i’m 99% ctd free.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: BETA: Constant CTD’s on Xbox with 3rd Party Scenery & Airports

When I am thinking about it, I did some things differently this time. I deleted crashing airports, deleted rolling cashe, increased its size to 32 GB, quit the sim, performed cold restart of Xbox, got back to sim, installed these airports and it just works. Maybe worth the try. Oh and I am running with HDR off

In trying third party developer (TPD) airports, I sorted my content manager to filter by install size. I began installing airports smallest to largest testing them. I began encountering CTD when at airports with a file size between 500mb and 600mb. Anything upwards of >700mb I would begin to get black screen avionics and CTD loading into the airports.

For now, limiting my install of airports to those <550mb.

1 Like

Please keep discussions about the Beta in the Beta forum. This bug topic pertains to SU9 and lower.

Thank you.

I’ve found 3rd party airports(and scenery) with ‘animations’ are causing problems. Most were fine with SU8. It can be just animated people(Princess Juliana) or a moving tram (DCA) and as soon as those animations come in, it either CTD’s or severely lags. Global shipping still does it(not the static ships), the birds(lags when they pop in), etc.

Some third party airports are insanely bloated as well, with mid-sized airports that are 2+GB. Some are just very detailed will cause some loss of performance but no crash, as would be expected, and other large airports that are not that huge a file, like San Diego are pretty vast but smooth as silk, as it’s efficient in size, and that includes city updates. Others just have too much detail that doesn’t drop out, and is still being fully rendered to the last gate while miles away.

There’s a big difference between just rendering too darn much in detail(that the LOD is usually pretty far out on) and crushing the system with some sort of fault, such as tiny little birds. And some have issues when they’re not even within visible/drawn range. The tram does it in DCA, in SU8 it was amazingly smooth for such a detailed airport. Now as soon as the metro pops in, so does the problems. I have their Washington DC which is extravagantly detailed and it causes no issues.

But if there is any sort of animation, big or small, it just causes havoc. You may not even know there’s something animated there.

I uninstalled all and slowly put them back and sure enough, either 200mb or 2gb, if there’s animated scenery, bad lagging and CTD’s come back. Other airports that are detailed like Hollywood FL just take a few FPS away from the detail, but doesn’t crash. Princess Julliana(which has an extensive set of other scenery) runs fine until you get the people on the beach, which have a VERY short LOD so most of the time it holds fast with a bit of stutter, but sit around the end of the runway too long and will crash out. Further away at St Barth(same scenery pack) no issues, grand case(also same pack) has animated passengers in the tiny terminal, lags/stutters. The short LOD of those animations keeps it usable most of the time.

I can definitely tell you with a lot of testing and repeat flights that whatever changed in SU9 regarding any animation that’s not the game standard moving airport ground and road vehicles became a HUGE problem for the sim.

And if you are looking at a mid-size airport that’s a 3gb file size installed, expect performance degradation. It’s just too much in one place. If the developer is not carefully balancing LOD and other detail issues, especially with xbox(versus the PC world where game developers just throw unoptimized massive amounts of details and simply tell you to ‘upgrade’ to run it) there will be issues. Plenty of large airports under 1GB that run fine, they just won’t have vending machines rendered inside the buildings. But be very weary of anything at any file size that has an element of ‘movement’ as part of the description, until they fix it.

Optimization is one of the primary benefits of canned hardware in a console, look where XBOX One started and ended in the quality of the games. But the crossover PC ports will be problematic for the 'box, where a PC owner just adds another stick of RAM to deal with bloated software. Some 3rd party stuff just will never be great on xbox(or even low-mid PC’s that can’t power through it by sheer HP). They really need to break the ratings out between the platforms.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this detailed investigation! What you described can really cause even more crashes. But surely there’s something else not working properly because there are CTDs on Xbox even when not using any third-party content.

Zurich (LSZH) is a great example. It will always crash no matter what we do. Even when nothing else is installed, even Premium Deluxe content. Also, there are still muted ATC sometimes and/or black screens here and there.

I’m starting to believe Xbox isn’t really capable/supported with its current hardware and Asobo/Microsoft are just ignoring this.

Actually, fooling us.

1 Like

Really depends on if it was a problem before SU9 when all my once-working 3rd party stuff started crashing.

Hi again!

By the way, even on Xbox Cloud Gaming, that uses an improved and a bit superior Xbox Series X hardware, as stated by Microsoft, it constantly crashes at the very same situations we already know. So this is another good reason to believe the problem is way more serious than what we can even speculate.

Cheers from Rio de Janeiro!

2 Likes