Constant CTD’s on Xbox with 3rd Party Scenery & Airports

No fluke, tried the 787 from CYUL to CYYZ, a short hop, and no CTDs. So I guess until someone fixes the problem with the third party airports then they will just have to sit. And I am not buying ANY airports in the meantime. Yes, there are plenty on the Marketplace that look intriguing, but NO WAY will they get a shiny penny form this cowboy! Not until someone acknowledges and FIXES the problem.

Good Air to all.

1 Like

I’m getting CTDs on normal world update airports now. 4 CTDs in a row attempting to get out of Asobo’s own enhanced version of EDPL. Completely unusable, I gave up. This is also after the Canada world update.

2 Likes

Same thing has been going on forever for me. KATL and KDFW produce a CTD almost every single time. I don’t fly much around Europe but I bet if I did there would be tons of other airports that do the same.

1 Like

There’s been many problems across all platforms since the Canada update. Just read them. May be it’s us Canucks???

Basically, I don’t even know where to start, but no add-on airports for me. I learned today that rolling cache may be an issue on Xbox, but don’t even want to try monkeying with it. There are so many issues.

2 Likes

Tried a short hop EGPF to EGGD, just over a 1 hour flight. To my surprise i was able to set up the aircraft at the gate only to land in bristol to be greeted with another CTD.

Anyone at Asobo care to comment on whats gone wrong since the beta as the silence is deafening. I’ve got the absolute fear with SU11 just over a month away and what it will do to the sim on xbox. No way will it be ready to launch with the state of the sim at the moment.

1 Like

I think is not 3rd party airports the cause of CTD. I have only one 3rd party airport (LPPT Lisbon), and I’m experiencing many CTD when taxi at airports. Update 10 has solved the stuttering problem (I have photogrammetry OFF), but now we have another one. We have a nice flight, but, many times we simply can’t complete the flight at airports (connection to gateway), because abruptly we get a CTD. And as you know, when the flight is not finished means that doesn’t count to our fly time in the profile. Many CTD = frustration. Keep an eye on that Asobo.
Xbox Series X, flying with Airbus A319 by Latin VFR

2 Likes

I agree, and all our setups are unique. Then I had a flight from CYYZ to CYOW and nothing but after installing the third party Ottawa airport and flying out I had a CTD before even leaving the gates. Coincidence or not, I uninstalled it and went flying.

More and more complaints about these CTDS. Xbox and Asobo are you listening, b/c apparently these complaints are falling on “deaf ears?”

1 Like

3rd party airports are not THE reason for CTD’s ( I indeed got some at stock ones), but at least they are for 90% responsible for them, depending on which 3rd party airport you use. Some of them work, a lot of them are CTD magnets.

I don’t see any action from Asobo in this matter, because they will point their fingers to the 3rd party developers in question.

4 Likes

I’m purposely trying to replicate the issues posted here and I’m not succeeding.

What am I doing differently?

I flew the 787 with the Aeromexico livery (3rd party) from KLAX (1st party) to MMMX (3rd party) with AREX North America region vehicles (3rd party), Enhanced Airport Graphics (3rd party) and I’ve got a bunch of A320neo, 747 and 787 3rd party liveries installed, too. (Not to mention all the other 3rd party content installed that probably wouldn’t have any affect on this flight).

My flight had zero issues. MMMX was crowded with real-time-online traffic. The whole experience was smooth and with zero audio crackles, etc.

I don’t understand.

1 Like

Try some different 3rd party airports. I knew you posted about MMMX before, it works for you.

Try 3rd party London Gatwick, or Athens for example. And make sure you start cold&dark, insert your flight plan in the MCU, use different camera settings etc. I’m sure you have no problems replicate the issue.

Same CTDS here too on XBX at several Marketplace add-on airports. I have noticed and tested if the airport is under 1GB in size it doesn’t CTD. I remember in a recent past Dev Q&A when asked about this issue they said the 3rd party airports shouldn’t be so large in size and over 1gig etc. for example CYVR Vancouver 195.37MIB and MMMX Mexico City 392.16MIB only and never CTD on me, but the likes of YBBN Brisbane 1.40 GIB, RJAA Narita 2.05 GIB and others that are well over 1GB even 2-3GB in size CTD on me all the time. Sydney YSSY is now 995.45 MIB, and works wonders now, before it was much larger and CTDs galore. hope this helps somewhat. they need to optimize/downsize these files

3 Likes

People here are saying that any airport doesn’t work for them, including default:

I’m sure there are other posts like this here.

I don’t have any of the airports you mentioned, so I can’t test those. I just don’t see the correlation of “any” airport and CTDs.

Short of buying more airports (which I’m not going to do), I’m not sure how to figure out what is going on here.

2 Likes

Yes, Vancouver never CTD for me. I think you are absolutely right about the file sizes. I have a couple of airports from Beautiful models of the World developer, all well under 1Gb, and those never cause any issues.

3 Likes

Try KATL or KDFW, starting at the gate with a third party aircraft or third party A320/787 liveries.

If you still don’t experience CTDs, I’d appreciate it if you could list all of the content you have installed to see if I don’t CTD under the exact same conditions.

1 Like

Okay. KATL to KSFO with the 787 and Delta 3rd party livery I had no issues. I started C&D and went through the pre-flight procedures, taxied, took off and flew until I reached cruise at FL400. I ended the flight shortly after.

KDWF is a different matter. I selected the A320neo with 3rd party United livery and made a FP to KSFO. The sim CTD before I even saw the end of the loading screens before the “Ready to Fly” screens. I rebooted the sim and tried again. It made it past the loading screens, but CTD before the “Ready to Fly” button appeared. Something is absolutely wack with KDFW.

EDIT: I just tried again with the default livery of the A320neo and it still crashes before I see the Ready to Fly screens.

EDIT2: This morning, I just tried KDFW again with the Cessna 152. It still CTDs before I ever see the “Ready to Fly” screens. At this point, I’m not sure what goes on. I could try to remove all my liveries, as I’m wondering if they are being used on static aircraft and that is an issue. I could also remove the AREX regional vehicles and the enhanced airport graphics. If none of that solves it, then maybe some third party airplanes are being loaded as static aircraft? I have none of the 3rd party airliners. I’m wondering if I should remove WU10 and/or WU2, since both made changes to KDFW.

EDIT4: Okay I uninstalled all of my 4Simmers and Dreamscenery A320neo liveries and the CTDs stopped. I did not uninstall my 787 or 747 liveries. This issue seems to be tied to one, or all, of these livery packs. To reiterate, what is interesting is having those liveries installed is causing the CTDs even when I don’t use the A320neo as the aircraft I want to fly with. It would seem that one or more of the liveries are being loaded for static aircraft and that is causing the crash. The performance is still poor, however, I’m in the Cessna 152 at a gate and when I switch to external view and pan, I get stumbles and hear audio crackles. Asobo’s KDFW must have issues.

EDIT5: Apologies for the book, here, but I’m just trying to work the problem (I wonder if anyone from MS or Asobo will even read this, sigh.). After a complete reboot of the Xbox and the sim, I reloaded into KDFW, this time in the A320neo with the default livery. Now, the performance is back to excellent. Again, I have all my 4Simmers A320neo liveries uninstalled, but everything else I purchased still installed. I wonder if I should have rebooted the sim after I uninstalled the liveries before I tested in my last edit. Anyhow, I’m going to see about installing these livery packs one-by-one and see if I can isolate what goes on when they are installed. It’s interesting, there are an awful lot of static A320neo all around me within eyeshot. This would seem to give my theory some credence about the 3rd party liveries and static A320neo aircraft causing the CTDs.

2 Likes

I’m continuing my testing here and I’ve installed a few more A320neo liveries, but I’m starting to see other issues.

The problem with testing this sim is that no scenario will ever be the same here. Between the time of day changing, live weather moving along as it does and the sim randomly populating the airport how it does with workers, vehicles and static & real-time online aircraft, it’s always going to be a moving target. Yes, I could turn off a number of features or slide all the traffic sliders to zero, but that isn’t how most of us use the sim and the CTDs are occurring with how I’ve got the sim setup, so charging that just adds another set of variables and breaks the testing regimen.

I say all of this, because every time I’ve loaded into KDFW, and switched to external view, I see different numbers of static planes parked at different places. All of that will impact performance.

This last time I loaded in, there was a significant graphical “pillar/spike” that, probably, was a photogrammetry glitch. It was in the midst of the airport buildings that gate C22 faces (EDIT: it was the latticework radio tower that was rendered as a solid spike). As I was looking it over and slowly panning the camera pondering taking a screenshot of it, the sim CTD. Now, did it CTD, because I installed a 5th A320neo livery pack or did it crash because there was an issue loading photogrammetry or did it crash because of a combination of these things —such as low memory due to liveries then causing issues loading photogrammetry? Then again, I thought KDFW was hand crafted, so why the weird graphical spike?

After installing a 6th A320 livery pack, the sim CTD when I clicked “Ready to Fly”.

What I find particularly strange about this livery situation is I don’t see a whole bunch of different liveries being used on the static aircraft all at once. I’ve been doing this last round of tests with the A320neo in default livery as my aircraft of choice. Most of the static A320neo at the airport load with the default livery matching my choice. I’ve only seen, thus far, one 3rd party livery used on static airplanes at a time, so why should having a bunch of livery packs loaded do anything if the sim is basically using only one of the liveries? Does it still have to load all of the liveries regardless if the static aircraft utilize them? Without understanding how the sim is coded, it’s a total guess here.

It would really be helpful to be able to have a two-way dialog with someone in development to help channel our testing and to understand back-end behavior of the sim. I want to help, but I don’t want to waste my time screwing around without understanding how things work here. Why can’t there be a pool of us designated as outside testers who work more closely with development to isolate issues and test in the real world? With a product as complex as this, why doesn’t this already exist?

EDIT: This really is an impossible situation. I can load into KDFW back-to-back and I can, literally, see when the sim is going to crash. I uninstalled all but one of my A320neo livery packs, because I was suspecting its 8K liveries might be causing the CTDs and wanted to test with just it installed. I just loaded the FP and when I saw the “Click to Fly” screen I could see the sim drawing all the objects in the background really, really, slowly and they popped in very obviously. This continued after I clicked Click to Fly. Shortly after the sim CTD. I then reloaded the sim, reloaded the same FP and changed nothing else and all the artwork and objects were loaded as they should be when the Click to Fly screen appeared. After clicking Click to Fly, the sim was smooth and performing as it should do.

If this is how the sim is going to behave when nothing was done differently between two separate loads from a quit sim (so fresh startups from the Xbox OS each time), then we are totally and utterly screwed here. This is an impossible situation.

EDIT2: I removed every single livery pack for 747, 787 and A320neo and the sim still will CTD when I try to load into KDFW. Then, as mentioned before, the very next load of the sim with all the same parameters, it loads into the cockpit fine. There is more going on here than liveries and 3rd party content.

4 Likes

I have also done extensive testing as I’ve been experiencing near constant CTDs for months, and I arrived at the same conclusion: different attempts under the same conditions may produce different outcomes. As you mentioned, it is hard to control for all factors when testing since live traffic and weather are not constant, but disabling renders the test useless since many if us would like to use live weather/traffic. That being said, I was never able to identify any time/weather/traffic conditions that were more likely to produce CTDs. They occurred with the same seemingly arbitrary frequency whether it was in the rain, at night, or during peak traffic hours. Again, it’s hard to control for these things, so I’m not 100% sure.

I think you already disproved your own hypothesis regarding static aircraft using third party liveries, but I’ll add to the discussion anyway. I use LVFR’s Static Aircraft with my static traffic slider set to zero. Therefore, I don’t have any static traffic pulling from livery packs that I have installed. None of my static traffic is placed by the sim, rather, they are objects placed by the mod. HOWEVER, live traffic sometimes uses an A320 model and pulls from installed liveries. I doubt that this is an issue, but it’s a possibility. I’d bet that it’s more likely that LVFR’s static traffic contributes to the CTDs, since it adds more objects to be rendered to a large airport.

I appreciate your efforts. I’d be interested to know if you make any other observations regarding the CTDs. Likewise, if you have any questions about observations that I’ve made over the months, let me know. I think it would be beneficial to float ideas back and forth. I encourage anybody else experiencing these CTDs to involve yourself in the discussion as well.

1 Like

Yes. This is true. In my tests, however, I was doing them back-to-back at the same location, so very little changes would occur between tries. I’d say that as near to controlled as possible with everything set to “live”.

I wondered if this were the case. I’ve never seen it. I’ve always found it odd that live traffic appears as generic models most of the time without liveries. I should look out for actual A320neo live traffic flown by a carrier that I have a livery for and see if I can see this in action in the sim.

I completely agree here. Again, I hope that Asobo is actually reading this. It’s continues to be very frustrating to be in this “one-way mirror” type of communication with the developers. My development experience has shown that being involved more deeply with solving issues leads to real solutions.

2 Likes

No need. The sim doesn’t match the livery to the carrier, so as long as the aircraft is an A20N it should just smack a random A320 livery on it.

1 Like

Finally, some good news regarding this issue. It appears that the SU11 beta has mostly resolved this CTD. After installing I tested using the following addons concurrently:

Enhanced Airport Graphics
LVFR’s Static Traffic
4Simmers’ A320neo liveries

Using those addons, I was unable to produce a CTD at all of the airports that had been giving me issues previously:

KATL, KDFW (Asobo)
KBUF (IniScene)
KLAS (FlyTampa)

That’s great news. It seems like the issue has mostly been resolved. I say mostly because one condition still produced a CTD. Using LVFR’s A321neo produced a crash every single time out of about five times that I tested it at each of the aforementioned airports. I would launch a flight from the gate, and within about three minutes the sim would CTD without fail. Maybe an addon like the A321neo coupled with the other addons and detailed airports is still putting the sim under too much load for it to handle.

From the SU11 release notes:

• Fixed an issue where having multiple active Bing Map graphics could cause a CTD while getting elevation data under high load

I suspect this is what resolved the CTDs, since nothing else in the release notes seems like it would have any impact. Either that, or they simply improved performance, thereby increasing the amount of load the sim can handle before it CTDs.

5 Likes