Constant CTDs after flying a bit

I still think it could be the same thing or if not, at least very similar. Only two ways describing what is happening.

Couldn’t agree more with you. This kind of issue truly is a sad one based on how it to a large degree takes away the fun using the product.

I really hope 2023 will be a year when Asobo spend enough time to get to the bottom with these CTD issues.

Just for the record, I too have the audio stutter just before the CTD. I am using the system default device for sound. I fly mainly WWII warbirds, P-38, Hellcat and Spitfire,The FA-18, The DC3. I like the older classic planes. CTDs for me have mostly been since SU10 and SU11. I generally conplete 2 or 3 out of 5 flights. CTD usually after about 1hr to 2Hr flight time. Usually just before arrival at destination, but sometimes anywhere in the flight. Sometimes I may go a week without a CTD and I gererally fly every nite. I like to get credit for my flight time, landings and takeoffs but none of this is recorded if there is a CTD. I have been flying Microsoft Flight Simulators since almost the beginning and P3D for 5 or 6 years, CTDs were never a problem until MSFS20.

That sounds exactly like the CTDs I’m seeing here.

What I’m trying now and so far completed 1 successful flight is to remove MSI Afterburner out of the mix. What I’m thinking is I will try one single tip one by one. It’s always tempting to try every tip you find. Hoping to get rid of the issue ASAP. However, in this case I really like to know what is actually causing it.

So…will carry on like this and I’m prepared it might take a very long time with lots of annoying CTDs along the way. But hopefully I’ll find the actual culprit in the end. If I do, rest assured I’ll let you know.

I just uninstall then reinstall the game. That fixed my ctd’s for now.

Just tried a flight from ESKN to EFHK (both 3rd party airports) with live traffic and live weather, on Xbox Series X. Everything was fine until half way into the flight when the FPS suddenly started to degrade. Over a few minutes it got worse and worse. I knew this would result in a CTD sooner or later so I decided to quit to main menu and restart the game and the Xbox. Sad.
I really hope the the AAU1 update will improve the game stability.

How long did that reinstall take?

Reinstall takes a bit of time because after the game is installed you have to add all of your addons back in the community folder. but its worth it. I say a couple hours at least.

Can you keep the control settings when doing such a complete reinstall?
Are the control settings stored in the “reserved space” file or in that other tiny save file?

Might be a bit too early to say for sure but looks like I might have managed to get rid of my CTDs which have been haunting me for the last week or so by doing 2 things:

• got rid of FSLTL
  • rolled back Nvidia from 528.02 → 527.56

Again, I need to do more testing but figured I would post this in here anyway. Look at this as one more thing to try if you already tried everything else to no avail and if you’re using FSLTL and/or the latest Nvidia driver (528.02).

Right now, I’m on my arrival after 02:37 in the air. Before this, I rarely was able to fly for more than 1 hour or so and sometimes not even 15 minutes before I had a CTD.

This was the exact CTD I got over and over again:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.29.30.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.29.30.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001543e15
Faulting process id: 0x0x3550
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D92115355F2194
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.29.30.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.29.30.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 19a8e690-ca8d-4f69-87a1-1e8dfa2c2d90
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.29.30.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

1 Like

Stored on the cloud and also

c:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData\wgs\random_numbers

I’m on Xbox Series X though, so I have no folder structure like that :wink:

…and yet another CTD when I thought maybe I found what was causing it…

Left MSFS running for a couple of hours when I was out doing some other stuff and when I got back home, I found myself on the Windows desktop.

These CTDs are really starting to ■■■■ me off to be honest. I’ve seen them off and on since MSFS was first released. I really hope Asobo eventually will be able to deep dive into these CTDs and find a permanent solution.

Until then, surely there must be some tool or whatever that could give you some more information and help you understand what the actual culprit is. The way it is now where most of us have x number of addons etc, it’s really hard to know in what direction to look. Talking to Asobo and being adviced to remove everything in your Community folder, reinstall MSFS and/or Windows isn’t really helpful.

Does anyone know of some good tool that can help you diagnose Event ID 1000 issues? I would be happy to spend money on a good tool that could help me understand what is going on.

If one is found you need to turn Asobo on to it. I had a 48 minute flight in the DC3 last night with no problems after deleting the Rolling Cache and the Scenery Index data. I need to go for a 2 hour filght and see how that goes. A complete reinstall would be too much work for now.

All of the controls are not lost after reinstall. The only thing lost will be your addons from the community folder.

Well, I went for the 2 hour flight but only made 1 hr 14 minutes then the CTD. My CTDs are the stutter then crash type. I don’t get the memory fault message type like some other posts mention. So clearing out the Rolling Cache and scenery index only worked for one short flight. I also had not started Little NavMap and did not use the autopilot, two items that I though may be culprits. The mystery goes on.

I’ve run the CTD gauntlet with many of the same issues as described above. After reinstalling and running with vanilla community folder, I still experienced CTDs. For me, CTDs occurred 40mins to 1 hour range, no matter where on the planet I was. I run with Reverb G2 VR exclusively and Windows XMR render set no higher than 100 with DLSS in the sim settings. Making that small change seemed to help. I still get CTDs but far less frequently. I really don’t fly longer than 2 hours in VR. I have an RTX 3090/i10900 set at 4.6Ghz/128GB of DDR RAM–so I don’t set virtual memory. I’ve done the nvidia driver clean uninstall/reinstall and rollback.

At times, if any live settings like wx or AIG traffic, etc were set, I would get far more CTDs, leading me to believe it might be a bandwidth issue. I don’t know if Asobo has server issues on their end either that might cause CTDs. I seem to get far more “disconnect” warnings even though I’m running on a direct LAN connection to my computer and not wifi. I have a super fast/reliable home internet service and other devices don’t “disconnect.” So, there may be a server volume/bandwidth issue at certain times in the day/night. Further, I’m not sure if Xbox and PC users are competing for the same resources–or does that even matter?

Reverse engineering this issue, has anyone NOT experienced CTDs, or very rare, like once every 3 months or so? Perhaps we could glean something from their setup and what if any tweaks they make. If there was one thing I wish Asobo would do and that is prioritize reliability and stability into their SUs. I recall installing up to SU5 with absolutely no CTDs. Since then, perhaps because of coding issues, the sim is far more finnicky and unstable.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed 2023 will bring not just additional content but also stability to the platform.

I would also like to see more robust error handling where there’s a way to have some clue what is actually causing these endless CTDs for many of us.

One thing I’m thinking, with MSFS being a MS title, surely there must be both the knowledge and tools available to debug these kind of CTDs at MS?

Based on the assumption such tools exist, wouldn’t it be possible for Asobo to get some help from MS and provide those users with constant CTDs a small debugger to install on their systems? Which would collect more detailed information about the user’s system and what exactly happens right before the CTD.

This way, Asobo wouldn’t have to spend time on building a debugging feature into MSFS, they would hopefully get rid of all these CTD reports haunting them since the day MSFS was released. Not to mention how happy they would make lots of users who currently can’t enjoy MSFS.

Good ideas here. To get people who don’t have many CTDs to respond a new topic would have to be started. They’re not going to be looking at this one. Up until SU 10 I was not having many CTDs. Now they are about 2 out of 5 flights.

My CTDs started in late 2022 and had subsequently tried installing the avionics upgrade beta - same results. I just reinstalled the whole sim with zero mods in community folder. I then tried my 1st flight with PMDG and sure enough, CTD (it isn’t PMDG because my CTDs happened with the A310, C414, C310 etc). No indications in event viewer. Tried different nvidea drivers, lowering graphic settings and am considering sacrificing my first-born…

In desperation, I opened a zendesk ticket only to be pointed towards the forum CTD guides, but this is totally frustrating. It seems that Asobo has no idea what causes CTDs so they let the user try hours and hours of troubleshooting on their own which will hopefully free up the Asobo support staff.

I’m at a loss as to where to go from here.

3 Likes