Control Sensitivity

I agree that the sensitivity is off the charts and I’m sorry but I want a linear curve so that my control inputs has the same authority over the a/c flight controls, not exponential at the extremes.

My fear is that the sensitivity issue rests further than just how the a/c is configured and will require a tweak at the core simulation level. As it stands, at least for me, there is barely any precision in the controls for landing and I can barely notice any difference in flight control effectiveness with speed (because its already superiorly effective at low speed).

1 Like

Type the word control in the windows search field on the taskbar. Click the control app icon. Find Printers and Devices and click it. Find your controller, right click it and go to properties. There should be a settings tab at the top. There should be a calibrate button at the bottom. Follow the instructions.

Don’t understand. What’s a linear curve? Wouldn’t this be a straight line? Sensitvity 0%?

Well yes, but the sensitivity of the actual flight controls are too high when the joystick sensitivity is set to 0%.

That’s why you need a curve if the stick/yoke and hence its travel is less than the real one.
You can’t have realistic linear controls with unrealistic equipment.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. Linear curve = straight line = same sensitivity across the entire yoke range, if that makes sense. note that reducing the sensitivity to flatten that curve will inevitably result in a massive exponential increase once the stick or yoke reaches a certain point. the problem is that in the real cessna you can pull the yoke out quite a bit while the saitek one gives you like 3 cm from zero to full with no force feedback. bad combination. so we need the possibility to reduce the overall sensitivity, i don’t want a cessna that behaves like an RC Extra. i therefore manipulated the flight model cfg file and lowered the values for the elevator and aileron which is, however, no proper solution because now you have very limited sensitivy when your plane is moving slowly, i.e. on take-off. in a way i am alright with it though as i am now able to properly work on that yoke instead of treating it like a princess and barely touching it at all.

I don’t see the problem with signficant curves.
Usually you need only very small stick/yoke deflections. That’s where the low sensitivity provides the necessary precision.
Once you need to maneuver aggressively where you need the full roll/pitch authority and little, if any, precision, you get the full flight control power at max stick deflection.

1 Like

That sounds good in theory and I’ve used it as well. Until I was on short final after a nice flight, gliding over the threshold, pulling carefully on the yoke to get a nice flare until it reached that point and the plane suddenly went vertical (as if made of paper), stalled and crashed. It’s highly unrealistic only having to move a yoke 10 millimeters to get such output in the sim in general. There’s no weight to that plane. That’s why for now, I can’t get around tweaking the flight model config file, and it needed quite substantial adjustments

elevator_effectiveness = 0.2 (from 1)
elevator_maxangle_scalar = 0.8 (from 1)
aileron_effectiveness = 0.7 (from 1.25)

I just don’t wanna get used to hardly touching that yoke at all.

Thanks. That’s the calibration as I was looking for. I forgot how to find it. Calibration using this first THEN MSFS made a huge difference. Sensitivity is a lot better now. I’m not sure everyone is aware of this setting in Windows. I should have remembered this as I have been flight simming for 10 years and have used XPlane, FSX, Steam FSX and was currently using Prepare3D. Maybe MSFS 2020 should put up some kind of instruction to calibrate this way first then adjust MSFS 2020 settings.

I don’t understand. If you were in trim during the approach, how did enter the joystick range with low sensitivity.
Which aircraft?. E.g. the DR400 and the C152 are very easy to land super smooth. Never had a pitch problem with a 50% curve.

Yeah, maybe the plane wasn’t perfectly trimmed so I had to pull the yoke a bit further than usual but imho many people will do exactly that, so we can’t expect all players to fiddle around with a perfect trim at all times only to avoid that “zone of death” on the sensitivity curve. And when the yoke travel is only like a mere 30 mm, you won’t always be able to avoid that… If that makes sense… it’s not just that though, there’s issues in the flight model as well, at least that’s how I’m experiencing it. I doubt a C172 going at 65 kts will go vertical instantly when you pull the yoke back. That’s why we still need to be able to set that maximum of the sensitivity curve to a lower value without having to mess around in some cfg files. I’m currently only flying the good old 172 around my local area, so I can really focus on that.

Anyway I’m going to activate the original cfg file again and try to adjust the sensitivity in the sim, I’d like to see how a massively altered curve will affect the flight model and if I’ll be able to avoid that “zone of death”.

If you fly the approach IRL out of trim, you will need considerable force to pull the yoke further aft.
Not much left for a smooth gradual flare in that case :wink:

Yeah, exactly, but the “sim” apparently has enough left to make my cessna go vertical on the flare, even though I’m already pulling just to keep the sink rate low. That tells me that both flight model as well as control sensitivity (curves) are very stiff, dull and “unintelligent”, or - to put it briefly - not properly simulated after all then …

It does not work for the xcub. Which folder is the right one?

Good to hear it helped some. Nice you let us know.

Perhaps a stupid question, but how do i change to historic?

In flight mode choose Legacy which is FSX flight mode.

I tried setting this up. It worked for setting up curves for roll but not for pitch.

For roll it showed the virtual device lagging behind the physical device. For pitch, they were the same.

It went from 50% to 100% immediately.

Any suggestions?

I am now trying Joystick Gremlin.

It does not work for me. I don’t notice Andy difference

That is what my initial tests are showing.