CPU Bug "Limited by Main Thread" is causing the bad FPS

Could your discussion not better be handled via PM?

I mean I am for open discussion, but I do not see what would be the benefit for the general public (imo).

1 Like

portions of it are in PM

Imo the moderation team here is extremely lenient when it comes to locking threads. Which I highly commend as we have many important things to discuss.

In most other forums such a lengthy battle between 2 users would have been locked, because it is a personal matter.

Better just agree to disagree and let it slip. Probably both of you have points that various people agree with.

CPU limitation is not new to flight simmers (because of the need to process huge amounts of geodata), so there can be no clear winner here. You need a fast CPU and RAM and generally a lot of bandwidth, while the GPU is there to render high resolutions and high quality shaders.

Just my 2c

2 Likes

Please discuss topics, not people.

And please be respectful to each-other.

Really, it’s not that hard.

17 Likes

I have run and rerun the virtual cores on and off… I get much better results with them on. CPU not maxed out, all cores about even. 20+ gain in FPS.

I7 6700K @ 4.5

@AGuther, have you tried this fix regarding cockpit instrument tuning? I notice your earlier comments regarding better performance outside of the aircraft but not so much from inside.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/highonsnow-js-fix-15-19-fps-improvement-on-airliners-targeting-specific-instruments/252551

Yes, traffic is another CPU performance killer,

However I have not done specific benchmarks in release version, only alpha.

Lets not add wood to the fire and keep this thread civilized, it was very interesting and relevant fore new users experiencing issues up until a moment ago.

1 Like

That’s really cool - how much for the rig? Looks really life-life :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes I use it and it works very well in my case - as the other fix inside the cockpit.

Everyone who has this issue, please check that you don’t have any swap files on HDDs should those be in your system. If you do have them on any of the HDDs, switch them off for such disks and move to SSD(s).

Similarly, if (like me) you have previously taken advantage of the Xbox Game Bar’s ability to capture “instant replay” clips in other games, be sure to disable that and/or at least check what disk it’s using to cache recordings.

In my case, I discovered today that not only had I forgotten to disable that feature, the system was writing the recording cache to my HDD media drive. When I disabled that, my lower-end system gained 10+ fps.(*).

2 Likes

rig specs: i7-7700k OC’d to 4.8, gskill cl16 3200mhz 32gb (2X16), asus apex IX z-270 MOB, EVGA sc black 1080ti, 2Xsamsung evo 850 ssd 500gb each, 2TB WD black caviar HDD, Air cooled cpu, corsair airflow 740 case, Acer Predator XB271HU bmiprz 27" WQHD 1440p g-sync monitor.

Basically, the rig is 3+ years old besides the recently replaced ram, but… it cost me back then from top to bottom around 3000$.

so, understanding the different items in the FPS display would help you…

-rdrthread is GPU/CPU interaction
-GPU is obviously the GPUs response to drawing it’s part of the FPS
-MainThread is the CPU itself and the world thread which itself is limited by the rdrthread/manipulators/coherentgtdraw/gpu items below
-Manipulators and CoherentGTDraw have to do with the virtual cockpit gauges and displays. You are FPS limited by the cockpit, I’m guessing in this screenshot, you’re flying an A320 or B747 or B787 as those are known to have an issue with the complex displays creating low FPS.

There’s a patch made by the community that addresses this issue by lower the rendering calls of the gauges by skipping frames allowing the game to render more often than the gauges.

No. Same FPS un external views.

Thank you for the insight and the link. Using the “ultimate” power plan and disabling threaded optimization made a positive impact overall to me, going from “limited by main thread” mostly, to “limited by GPU”

i actually had threaded optimization turned on myself, i turned it off and got an even smoother rendering, lol. i thought i had that turned off, IDK why it was on.

Same for me, I thought it was off but it wasn’t :crazy_face:

This is true or else 144hz monitors wouldn’t sell. That is also why VR mandatory is 90FPS to avoid getting motion sickness. Anything less that 60FPS in TrackIR feel unnatural.

2 Likes

We sould be able to upvote this threat, im sure asobo is aware of this but it couldnt hurt