CPU Bug "Limited by Main Thread" is causing the bad FPS

No. Same FPS un external views.

Thank you for the insight and the link. Using the “ultimate” power plan and disabling threaded optimization made a positive impact overall to me, going from “limited by main thread” mostly, to “limited by GPU”

i actually had threaded optimization turned on myself, i turned it off and got an even smoother rendering, lol. i thought i had that turned off, IDK why it was on.

Same for me, I thought it was off but it wasn’t :crazy_face:

This is true or else 144hz monitors wouldn’t sell. That is also why VR mandatory is 90FPS to avoid getting motion sickness. Anything less that 60FPS in TrackIR feel unnatural.

2 Likes

We sould be able to upvote this threat, im sure asobo is aware of this but it couldnt hurt

I wish there was some Official Asobo documentation on their Frame rate display.

I have a mid range gaming Laptop… Nitro 5. Only update was to up the Ram from 8G to 32B

I do not seem to be running out of CPU ram or CPU ram.
My frame rate is acceptable to me … typically min 30 fps - and at FL200, looking in the cockpit, more than sufficient. ( Its not a 1st Person Shooter , where microseconds of response time matter !!)

The main item that seems to be limiting is the “Main Thread”, in that it indicates at times it is taking too long to complete ?

So
(a) what can I do to improve that
(b) What could Asobo do to improve that – like maybe more some items to a separate thread ?? or whatever it takes.

Its a development tool. We’re lucky to even have access to it. This is one of those times that giving customers more information is a bad idea.

There has to be a Niche market here for someone that really knows what they are doing, to offer a Remote In Service, to optimize MSFS user’s Settings …

I couldn’t read every reply here but did anyone notice that his RAM is capping out at around 30GB (95%)? What else are you running that’s using that much ram? I can’t get MS2020 to use any more than 18GB with various addons…

Limited by Main thread ???

So why not split up that Main thread into smaller ones, and spread them over the cores.

Be careful what you wish for —You think there are problems now ?

• Increased Complexity − Multithreaded processes are quite complicated. Coding for these can only be handled by expert programmers.

• Complications due to Concurrency − It is difficult to handle concurrency in multithreaded processes. This may lead to complications and future problems.

• Difficult to Identify Errors − Identification and correction of errors is much more difficult in multithreaded processes as compared to single threaded processes.

• Testing Complications − Testing is a complicated process in multithreaded programs as compared to single threaded programs. This is because defects can be timing related and not easy to identify.

• Unpredictable results − Multithreaded programs can sometimes lead to unpredictable results as they are essentially multiple parts of a program that are running at the same time.

• Complications for Porting Existing Code − A lot of testing is required for porting existing code in multithreading. Static variables need to be removed and any code or function calls that are not thread safe need to be replaced.

Unless you have very experienced and well trained Cooks, it fast becomes a case of

“Too many cooks, spoil the broth”

mine uses about 12-14 GB , but a new issue has popped up in the form of a leak that drains almost ALL of my 64GB RAM, last iteration of the issue, it topped out at 51.6 GB total usage and the sim CTD’ed with a matching event viewer log indicating resources alerts.

Hello,
my “Limited by mean thread” problem was solved by changing the frequency of RAM in BIOS.
I have 2x16 Mb DDR4 @ 3600Mhz and the motherboard auto mode was using 1054Mhz frequency …
Conclusion: now I hit the GPU limit and have an extra 15 fps.
Hope this can help you.

1 Like

It might be worth looking for a BIOS upgrade, as that may be a bug they have resolved.

Wait, are you suggesting that anything less than 90 fps will render VR useless? That may be an issue, because I don’t think even the most stout CPU money can buy combined with the most stout GPU money can buy will give you a steady 90 fps in this app…

And there’s a LOT of people (myself included) who are waiting for and looking forward to VR, in my case on a brand new Reverb G2 that should be here sometime in December.

My rig is an i5-10600K with a mild OC, and a 2070 Super with a huge OC, and it’s driving the sim just fine, even with complex payware aircraft at super dense handcrafted airports. In those circumstances it very occasionally will dip below 30fps, but if I don’t have a framerate counter staring me in the face, I can’t even tell when that happens.

The goal is get as much data onto the GPU as possible. With 2048 cores or more it will render the screen very fast.

A lot will depend on your motherboard speed, Intel chipsets tend to be the most reliable.

Multi threading the CPU is difficult. You can’t magically switch it on. It needs new code and may take months to develop.

DX11 is limited to 4 CPU cores I think. That might be the bottleneck.

@ KSIElevenBravo id love to see some research data on this… ive never heard of such a verified claim that VR MANDATES 90 FPS

I see the claim here: https://help.irisvr.com/hc/en-us/articles/215884547-The-Importance-of-Frame-Rates#:~:text=Studies%20have%20shown%20that%20in,all%20times%20in%20their%20software.

but, i see no cited resources to validate said claim. the very first sentence: “Studies have shown that in practice”

so, if studies have been done, where are the cited references?

VR?

Jet IFRules require you to fly by instruments and fly at night, in cloud, in fog.

If you can’t see runway lights you do a CAT III autoland or divert.

Horses for courses. I think VR is overated, however Augmented Reality would be ideal with a home cockpit.

Not sure if the person who replied has a VR HMD or actually uses one. Simply put, if the framerate isn’t high and especially if it isn’t stable, you can get motion sickness. The more your perspective jumps and jitters around in ways that aren’t within your control, the worse it gets. Some people are more susceptible to this than others, but it’s very much in your best interests to hedge your bets and aim for stability and performance over eye candy.

There’s a loss of immersion, and an increased chance of VR sickness as refresh rates drop below 90fps. If you go down to 60fps, you have a really good chance of getting sick, and the view looks really unnatural.

Oculus, HTC, and other manufacturers have said this. Oculus Rift won’t even allow software in the Oculus store unless it can hit 90FPS. see below:

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/common-oculus-store-review-submission-issues/?locale=zh_CN

" Failure to meet required frame rate*
Rift apps should always retain 90fps, while mobile apps should retain 60fps. We provide tools to help you test app performance to hit this target."

1 Like

ive had plenty of VR Time with computers not hitting 90 but maintaining a steady and solid FPS and not gotten disoriented…so

and none of that info links to the studies. i want to see the scientifically validated data on those studies.