CPU & motherboard upgrade for smoother and clearer VR

My last PC was a 7700k and 1080Ti. At the of last year I bought a new 10850k 3090 system and have been very happy with it.

I think the 10850K is one of the outstanding value CPU’s right now. They are basically 10900k’s that the silicon wasn’t quite as good so underclocked by just 100Mhz. If they were accurately named they are basically 10899K’s. In all other respects its a 10900k.

A 7700k is a 4 core 8 thread chip, the 10850k is a 10 core 20 thread chip, a huge improvement.

You are fine with a 3070. MSFS is the most demanding VR title by far, for everything else a 3070 is fine, and if you’re happy with setting on medium/high then it’s not an issue.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I think I will go ahead and buy the 10850k, I’m sure it will be an improvement over what I currently have as long as I keep my expectations realistic.
I’m sure it will be satisfactory for a couple of years until I can justify the expense of buying a whole new PC.
But I do hope that Asobo will introduce DLSS to MSFS at some point as I’m sure that will definitely help those with mid/lower spec systems. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m running a 3070 with my Ryzen 5800 and am getting great performance of 35-40 fps with OXR set to 80 and in game render scale set to 85 with a mixture of ultra to medium settings so it’s certainly not what I’d call ‘weak’

2 Likes

I am noticing that MSFS is now more about PC hardware, upgrade and tweaking rather than flying :laughing:

There are definitely going to be VR performance and image quality improvements coming now Asobo had a dedicated VR team working on it. That together with this year’s two remaining sim updates, plus DX12, could see the OP get the lift he needs even without new hardware.

The best bang for buck right now would be a Ryzen 5800 or even a 5600X on a modest motherboard, plus overclocking his 3070 and hanging out GPU wise until next year, where if rumours are correct, the 4XXX series cards are set to blow the stupidly overpriced 3090 out of the water. Maybe there will actually be cards available by then at MSRP.

I think waiting to see what happens with software upgrades is really important right now too because you may avoid spending thousands and still end up with substantially better performance by the end of the year. DCS is transitioning to multi core and Vulkan API at some point also. VR is the way forward.

Still going to be interesting to see what performance the Alder Lake series offers after the upgrades though.

HI I had exacly tha same problem I find a solution that may look strange please consider that tha App Open Xr is intended for developer …in all tha cases the Vr works with Open Xr runtime even if you disinstall the App.
My solution has been quite simple I left the App in the default values and playing with the rendering values in the simulator I left the value to 100% obtaining an average of 35…40 …45 fps depending on : KInd of aircraft ,scenario (NY is much busier than the desert) and meteo.Try it and let me know . have an rtx 3070 Intel(R) Core™ i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz … Ram 32 GB. Ciao

What do you mean when you say “may limit performance”?

Quality of PSU matters as much as the wattage. I have a Corsair HX850 watt running a 10850k and a 3090 and it’s completely fine, certainly don’t need 1000 watt for a 3070.

That said I’d rather a 1000 watt PSU in my situation as I’ll likely buy a 4090 next year and that might stretch my 850 watt depending on its power consumption.

However, my 7700k 1080Ti machine previously ran fine on a 500 watt PSU for 4 years, I wouldn’t oversweat the need for high watt capacity PSU’s.

Youtube tech channels are a lot like diet advice channels, they have to give advice and ideas to provide content.

The need for a 1000 watt PSU is a bit like saying quinoa is bad because it contains saponins, or beans and legumes might be bad because they can cause leaky gut syndrome. It’s a 0.5% of the population problem type issue, but it’s content right.

2 Likes

My comments were probably more relevant to a 3090 GPU. A 3090 is rated at 350W while a 3070 is rated at 220W. An i9-10900K CPU is rated at 350W. That’s at least 700W at full demand, then addin say another 120W for everything else. Yes, an 850W power supply is probably adequate for a 3070 but as mentioned here elsewhere, quality of PSU is also relevant. Maximum efficiency for many PSU are at 50-60% of peak power but 80Plus Gold rated PSUs guarantee maintaining maximum efficiency to at least 80%. The advice would suggest having at least 20% ‘headroom’ is the best way to go. Not driving the PSU to full power all the time lowers heat generated (quieter fan) and is likely to extend the life of all its components. A PC using windows 10 is capable of detecting when too much power is being demanded and can result in a unexpected crash and reboot. 99% of the time all is fine and then when a sudden demand for extra power occurs, eg, GPU loading some scenery, an inadequate PSU may not be able to handle the power demand peaks. Running a higher wattage PSU at 60 to 70% doesn’t use more power but gives sufficient ‘headroom’ to meet power peak demands of all components.

1 Like

Ah OK, I see what you mean now. Thanks for clearing that one up. Appreciated

I also have the Corsair HX850 (in white) for my AMD rig with a Radeon 6800XT and it’s way more than enough atm. A very well regarded PSU…quality components are as important if not more so than the rated output. I’ll be upgrading next year to an nVidia 4XXX series card too, but the move to 5mm may mean more efficiency and so a 1Kw PSU may not be needed, at least on a 4080 or 4080ti. A 4090 will most likely be too pricey for me.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.