CPU overclocking issue: the airport loads, but it gets stuck in external view?

I’ve tried other CPU intensive games and programs, and it has been working well in everything else. I have an Asus P8P67 motherboard and i5-2500 (which I overclocked from 3.3GHz to 4.2GHz).

But, with MSFS, the level loads, but as soon as I click the yellow “Fly” button, the image stops updating and it gets stuck in the external view (and the screen starts getting painted brown). If I throttle up, I hear the engine responding, until I crash (but all I see is a still image).

Does anyone have any idea why MSFS has trouble when I overclock the CPU?

Did you try without the overclock? Since it’s the graphics that’s not updating, I think it’s more likely that your GPU isn’t keeping up with your CPU overclock (or even just can’t handle MSFS), but you don’t say what your GPU is.

My GPU is a Geforce GTX 1060 with 6GB RAM. The sim works when I have default CPU settings in the BIOS, but the CPU is a bottleneck. Other sims and action games tend to benefit a lot from my overclocking. I avoided changing the base clock fequency, and changed the multiplier to 42 (to make the CPU max out at 4.2GHz).

[Edit]
I tried using the BIOS’ built-in High Performance mode (to see if one of my settings were causing an issue), and the same thing happened.

MSFS puts a lot more load on your PC than lots of games, and I read that o/c is one of the things that people have problems with on it. I o/c mine quite a bit (i7-7700K @4.8) and don’t have any problems, but lots do.

Might be power supply not being able to keep everything fed with the overclock and load? IDK?

I see a weird brown mark on that screenshot. The only place where I have seen this before is people who had FacetrackNoIr installed.
Uninstalling that fixed this issue for all those people. Apparently FacetrackNoIr makes a certain DLL file load on windows startup that causes all sorts of issues with MSFS.

3 Likes

Wow! Having Facetracknoir installed was the issue, even when I wasn’t running it. Weird thing, it only caused an issue when my CPU was overclocked. After uninstaling it, I can run the sim with an overclocked CPU.

1 Like

Glad it got fixed, enjoy flying!

Yay! \o/ :small_airplane: :smile_cat: