Crash to desktop without error message

What add ons are you using? Navigraph/LNM,etc?

Hi
I’m having CTD all the time.
Every flight i do no matter where it is or with any airplane.
I run MSFS without mods or addons.
I only use a payware weather engine and a payware navigation tool FSTramp.
I tryed run MSFS without the payware addons and i’m havinf same issues CTD.
I reinstall MSFS after delete all the lefts folder and reboot pc . All windows updates done.
I’m having CTD for the last 3 weeks.
I can fly more than 52 minutes.
My good lord!!!
Any sugestion please ?

Exactly the same here. Already reinstalled, no mods, nothing. Managed to start it once after the reinstall, on the second try a window popped up (synchronization), and sim crashes again on the loading screen. I suspect corrupted cloud data, but there is nothing I as a user can do about this…

@Anthony964112 @Bellini1202 @Crocodoc84
The possible causes are numerous. Please take a moment to read the following. Once you have, come back here and we will try to get you up and running.

Thanks a lot.

Situation:
All was working fine. Flew on Sunday. Played some other stuff on Monday. Came back to FS on Tuesday, from then on the sim crashed about 5 seconds into the US loading screen. The sounds cracks, the little wheel stops turning, and I’m back to the desktop.
What I saw was windows update downloaded a .net update on Monday, nothing else was visibly changed (by me or windows update).

I performed all steps suggested here and elsewhere, including:
-Repair the app.
-Reset the app.
-Update graphics drivers.
-Update all other drivers.
-Sign out and back in of Xbox and store.
Performed windows update several times (win20h2 then installed).
-performed system file scan

Lastly, I completely reinstalled the app, but yet again I crash at the same point.

I then found a post who suggested the following: unplug the internet connection about 1 minute into the loading screen, and plug it back in approx 7 seconds later.
Result for me: A window appears, stating “please wait, we are synchronizing your data” (or similar, it’s German).
Option A: Let it run. Result: CTD
Option B: Choose abort. Result: Sim performs the installation process. If you choose the path where it’s already installed, the sim then starts properly with an empty profile (all settings are reset to standard values). You can fly and do whatever you like, it’s rock stable.

The solution giver suggests that once you accumulated a flight in the logbook, you may close and restart the sim, where you now would be asked if you would like to use the cloud profile or the local one. Choosing cloud would again result in CTD, local would overwrite the cloud data with the local (working) profile and you’re good to go.
And here it doesn’t work for me. I am not asked–it just displays “please wait while we sync your data” and boom: CTD.

Conclusion: The sim itself is able to run without any issue. It’s the logon/cloud sync that causes the crash, and I have no means to correct it.

Have you checked your firewall settings?

I use Kaspersky.
I never had to use any special firewall exemptions for the sim, it always worked. I now added them nonetheless and also tried with firewall turned off, but the issue persists.

Ok, thanks. I did try it, and on the first flight I flew for probably 8 hours without a CTD. So, I was optimistic. But on the second flight, CTD after 45 minutes or so. Glad it’s working for you. For me, the only way to reduce CTDs to occasional is to turn off all AI traffic.

Can someone please help identify why I keep CTD’ing without an error message? I’ve tried all the things mentioned above but no luck, just crashed 1hr into a flight from KATL to EGLL. After a lot of realistic prep to the flight too, which is rather annoying.

This has started happening since the VR update, it didn’t happen before.

Please see the fault below from Windows Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000004c20bc
Faulting process ID: 0x24d8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6ea9ff1ca8b73
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: e02f11e6-b5ec-40a6-8cd9-d1112dd4f6a7
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Surely this is a development problem if it didn’t happen before the VR update? Why should I have to change any of my PC settings?

I don’t want a workaround, I want a permanent fix.

I’ve had nothing but problems with this game since it’s release, it is very frustrating.

PC specs below:

• CPU = i7-6700K (was overclocked but I have reduced it to standard)
  • GPU = Nvidia 980 ti
  • PSU = Some Corsair 700w, solid as a rock
  • MB = Gigabyte G1 Sniper (Z170)
  • Memory (including configuration) = 32GB 3000MHz RAM
  • Sound (on board or stand alone) = onboard through case/motherboard, using headset
  • Monitor(s) = Dell P2213
  • Display resolution = 1680x1050

Error Code 0xc0000005 could be caused by several reasons in a Windows PC like damaged or low RAM, malware infection, corrupt registry files, wrong hardware configuration, etc. It’s one of the most commonly seen error that pops up in a Windows system.

The error occurs when a program in Windows attempts to access a location or data from a location that is not assigned to it. This can occur with any Windows application due to registry issue, faulty RAM, corrupt drivers, virus infection, or incorrect security update, etc.

The error pops up when you launch a program installed on your Windows PC. Mostly, re-installation doesn’t help in fixing the issue as it’s caused by some invalid, unsigned, or incomplete DLL files that helps software to run on Windows platform.

Recent research has shown a number of cases where users have run CHKDSk on their SSD. If done with the /f switch (fix errors) CHKDSK has been found to cause corrupt sectors.

Turn off the system and replace the RAM with other RAM if available. Sometimes just removing the sticks and replacing them may solve a bad connection. You may also swap RAM slots and then boot the system. Check if the error still persists. Swapping of RAM is required when there is a physical damage to RAM connectors or hardware.

Also, run a memory diagnostic test on your RAM using mdsched.exe to fix the issue.

Corrupt registry files lead to serious issues in the system including this error code. If you have a backup of your registry files, you can restore your system’s registry and fix the problem. However, modifying registry files is a bit complex and can be dangerous for the system. Any invalid or improper alteration can lead to serious system consequences. Therefore, backup your current registry files before making any change. To fix registry, perform the following steps:

• Press ‘Windows + R’, type regedit, and hit ‘Enter’
  • Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
  • Double click LoadAppInit_DLLs and modify the value from 1 to 0. If already 0 just cancel.
  • Click ‘OK’ to confirm the changes
  • Close the Registry Editor Window and restart the system

The more I work on this issue. The more I believe this has nothing to do with MSFS other than the number of resources that are being utilized. I believe we will find a common denominator eventually. Simply 90% (a guess) are system related.

Thank you for the response.

I know it’s not the RAM as I actually upgraded both my DIMM’s last week from 16GB to 32GB… as I thought RAM might have been the problem.

£100 later and the problem persists. -.-

I shall try the memory test later to be sure and I’ll also try the registry fix and let you know.

Hi guys.
Take a look a this one.
Seems to be a MSFS 2020 simconnect issue.
https://forum.simflight.com/topic/91502-msfs-crashing-due-to-simconnect-errors/page/2/
I just wonder why is always the third party addons issue ?
Really ?

1 Like

Not really the fault of any third party addons, more of an issue with simconnect I believe.
From another forum:
“However, there is also the SimConnect data issue (link previously posted) which I think is the main cause, especially when this occurs after several hours into a flight. Both issues need to be resolved by Asobo, and anyone experiencing such issues should raise a zendesk issue with Asobo and attach any windows crash event logs”

Well , just wonder why the answer to my Zendesk report was to uninstall third party addons , and make a new instalation of MSFS 2020 ?
They already knew is the simconnect issue. Why saying to make new installation. They are aware as they are investigating.
All night reinstalling MSFS 2020 for nothing. Time , energy and money spend for nothing.
Why not start from the beggining and just say SIMCONNECT ISSUE instead of giving wrong sugestions ?
Anyway…ASOBO

I think Asobo are still “researching” this issue, among other things they have a fair amount on their plate

1 Like

OK so further to my last comment I’ve run the memory tool and no errors were found.

I also went to make the registry change but it was already set to 0.

The only other thing I can think to mention is I have intentionally installed FS on a dedicated M.2 drive, which is my E: drive (another extra cost adding to my frustration).

My E: drive has never had ChkDsk run on it.

However, the error message shows the FS .exe is located in my C: drive… how is this possible?

My C: drive is a normal 2.5” SSD, and where Windows is installed… and yes, I have probably run ChkDsk on it before.

Does this give any clues as to what the problem is?

How can I get those references to my C: drive swapped to the E: drive?

I assume this was never an issue which came from MSFS. In @Zixxstar own old thread, which is half year old he give no future informations. As example we can see that it’s system-specs has changed in meanwhile, an RTX3080 was not available on market as the original thread was opened.

Thus, good that you tried this ‘hint’, but also as expected, it fixed nothing :wink:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ctds-temporary-fix-awaiting-patch/265544/62?u=michamma

have you already tried the ‘old’ hint about XMP mode ? Have you already disabled it for a test ?

I am sorry but that is chasing windmills. If the system is stable with other high-demand games then we should assume that it is not a hardware or OS issue. Heck it is is stable with Futuremark testing then it should be stable enough for MSFS. If it was a major memory or overheating component then most likely it would not just be a CTD but a bluescreen.

The problem is the December update was buggy and it is Asobo’s job to figure what they bugged and issue a fix.

They don’t pay me to be a beta tester and when we all volunteered they ignored us anyway.

Maybe if they provided proper error catching and automatic reporting then they could figure this out as opposed to expecting us to use a garbage reporting system (Zendesk) in which they just ignore anyway.

1 Like