Crash to desktop without error message

Wow, a bit salty are we? I’m not bragging about my system. I just offered the info for context. No I do not have a computer science degree but I did maintain IBM 360s, Amdahls, and some of the early Cray super computers. You know, back in the days when we actually coded in machine code and assembly. Back then credentials didn’t define individual, skills and ability did. An appeal to credentials is a poor argument. Sorry, a supercomputer isn’t going to fix FS2020. It isn’t a resource issue. I’m having a hard time getting sustained 30+ FPS in the A320. That is frustrating since the 5800x utilization rarely hits 50% and the 3080 rarely goes above 60%. You know there are issues when the Nvidia game ready drivers recommend game settings below ultra for a high end system. MS has a lot of work to do but if we can find ways to use it in the meantime, why not enjoy the eye candy? Thanks for the feedback.

My comment was meant to be ironic, it is representative of the answers that some people will give you, making you feel guilty.
If you have CTDs, it’s your fault, because you don’t have a sufficiently powerful configuration, because your Windows is poorly configured, because you play with settings too high, or for a whole bunch of other reasons . But NEVER question MSFS.

As I said before, although self-taught in computer science, I worked as a computer scientist for a multinational. I was even in charge of a group. Even though I wasn’t primarily involved in the hotline, there were times when I had to help out someone on the other side of the planet, without having access to their PC. You have to know how to visualize what the problem is, and how to solve it, because very large sums of money can be at stake. You cannot tell the person, I am going to wish you “good luck” hoping that everything will fit in. order, alone, or by telling him, it’s your fault.
I’ve never known someone who couldn’t be helped out, by the guys in charge of the hotline. Except if the problem is material.

Without going into details, I took care of new software developed for the needs of society, installing them on users’ PCs, following a procedure that the developers had sent me. Users tested them, and validated them or not, with their managers. If there were any problems, or improvements to make, it was not my team to do it, let alone the users, but the developers, and that’s what they did.
Whereas here, it’s up to the paying users, to have to fend for themselves. And not everyone has notions of IT, but ESPECIALLY, not everyone has to be interested in IT. 80 or 90% of people don’t care how it works, they just want it to work.

The CTDs are so erratic that once I get a crash mid-flight, then most of the times (like 90%) the next time I load MSFS, the game will almost always CTD immediately upon reaching the main menu and it’ll do that every single time (I’ve tried up to 10 times in a row).

The only workaround I’ve found to get out of this loop is to load something else in between (e.g. X-Plane), play for a minute or two, do not change anything else at all and then try to reload MSFS. For some otherwordly reason this usually (but not always) does the trick and MSFS will then allow me to at least start a flight.

It sounds completely random and it makes no sense at all, but I’ve managed to replicate it several times (at least 4-5) so it can’t be a coincidence. Although for the life of me I cannot imagine why this trick (usually) works. It’s as if MSFS stores a Windows session related to the GPU or whatever, the session is stuck when it gets a CTD and is only refreshed when I’m loading something else. But this is just wild speculation as in all my PC years I’ve never seen such a thing. Next time I’ll try to do a Windows restart between CTDs and see if it changes anything.

But even that is no guarantee against crashes, as only today I had 3 consecutive CTDs while preparing CJ4 WT (latest version 0.12) for pushback. Doubt it’s a CJ4 issue as I’m monitoring WT’s Discord and github issues and no one has complained about CTDs with that version.

Then I tried an hour long VFR with a C152 over Yosemite and it worked perfectly fine from flight start to landing, exiting to the main menu and then gracefully quitting back to Windows (sometimes the flight will end OK but MSFS will CTD once I go back to the main menu).

The randomness of this thing is really beyond me.

Replicated once again.

1. Tried to load MSFS. Since the previous flight (C152 over Yosemite) had ended gracefully, I didn’t expect a main menu CTD. I was right, so I was then able to load a flight using CJ4 WT this time.
  2. Again MSFS crashed while pushing back CJ4 with all systems running.
  3. Next attempt to load MSFS failed because it CTD’ed during the transition from the initial loading screens to the main menu. Again this is a pattern I’m almost always seeing after a previous CTD.
  4. Restarted Windows, tried to load MSFS, had the exact same CTD (during the transition to main menu).
  5. Loaded X-Plane, played for a couple of minutes and quit. Didn’t change anything else.
  6. Loaded MSFS, this time it reached the main menu just fine, so it let me start a flight.

Go figure. At least I’ve found a consistent way to exit the main menu CTD loop, which I suppose counts for something. Now it’ll be easier to start experimenting with different AMD drivers (e.g. go back from 21.3.2 to 21.3.1 WHQL which are considered more stable).

Because I suspect the vcruntime errors I’m seeing may be the result of more than one root causes and these driver timeout/DLL errors are just generic, because MSFS/Windows/AMD drivers or all of them together cannot handle some exceptions or have conflicts between them or whatever. So the reason why MSFS sometimes crashes in the main menu before or after a flight, may be different than in-flight CTDs, despite me getting the same errors in event manager. At this point anything’s possible really. Goblins included.

As I said before, I ate indigestible videos on the principle of virtulle memory. It is there to store elements which could not work at the same time on the RAM. It is also a question of addressing files which cross, or which cannot cross … ect.
I wonder, why, how, I don’t know, if at some point there is something that should go from RAM to virtual memory, or vice versa, so that there is no not one of these conflicts that does not happen.

Apart from that, I made a finding.
I have 2 Windows (Even 3) on my PC.

The 1st is up to date, but relatively old. I have a lot of programs installed on it.
On this one I uninstall ALL Microsoft Visual C ++
I only reinstalled the latest version by following a link on repairing MSFS (I will look for the link, but it is known)
I have this version

With this Windows I have CTDs, usually with vcruntime140.dll errors

The 2nd Windows, I just installed it from a new ISO (I have formatted 50 times since I got MSFS …)
I haven’t installed anything, apart from Steam, WMR and OpenXR and of course the drivers for the RX 6800 XT and the HP Reberve G2.
I have not installed Microsoft Visual C ++

I have this version:

With this Windows, I don’t have a CTD per se, because MSFS does not close.
BUT the display, in the helmet, (or on the screen) freezes, while I can still hear the engine of the plane.
I can let it run for several minutes, without it eventually causing a CTD (No CTD)
I have to force restart the PC, and I see in the event viewer that it is, in 100% of cases, dwm.exe is the cause of the problem

I can always try to uninstall Microsoft Visual C ++ on the 1st Windows, so that it installs itself. With a little (LOT) luck, I wouldn’t get a CTD …
But there are so many programs, that I can see that I have a loss of image fluidity, compared to the 2nd installation of Windows which is clean.
I’m still going to add to the experience, to advance science …

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: RX 6800 XT
RAM: 4x8GB 3200MHz
SSD: 1 TB

It’s magical, fantastic, or I don’t know which term to use …

As expected, I uninstalled Microsoft Visual C ++ on the 1st Windows with Revo Uninstaller Pro, so that it cleans all the folders, files, and keys in the registry.
I restarted Windows, and started a flight.
I just flew for an hour without CTD, I could have flown even longer, if I had known how to change the tank, and not run out of fuel.

We will stay with our feet on the ground, but 1 hour on this Windows without CTD with vcruntime140.dll errors, these last days, it did not happen anymore.

However, I no longer have Microsoft Visual C ++ in “Programs and Features”

But where it is magic, fantastic, or I do not know what term used …
It’s because I no longer have any shortcut icons, or files, on the desktop. I have a completely empty office …
It is only after a while (I see it as I write) that the desktop reappears.

I played with Assetto Corsa, same, there is still no Microsoft Visual C ++

We’ll see if it holds …

Hi…

related to VCruntime140.dll error we have topics like VCRUNTIME140.dll Error

In meanwhile the more possible reason with this error-message is not the version, which is in most cases correct. The issue points very often to a driver-issue, a hardware-issue or a conflicting application.

In case you want find out which version of vcrun…dll is involved you can use tools like the Sysinternal ProcessExplorer.

In this example you can see, that the system dll is used in version 14.28.29913.0 and the extension which are included within the Steam-MSFS-install in version 14.27.29016.0

Weirdest CTD yet. I had been practising circuits at KLAS, and had perhaps done a half dozen touch, and go’s without issue. I had to go away for a few minutes to do something else, so paused the sim with me sat on the runway (I know, sorry!), and came back about 20 minutes later. I unpaused, took off, requested a full stop landing, and just as my wheels touched the runway the sim crashed.

Report.wer.pln (32.6 KB)

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60420f33
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60420f33
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000011930a
Faulting process ID: 0x4728
Faulting application start time: 0x01d72ebf32da7dc2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: 55e93832-d586-48b1-bf95-e774025f0b57
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: MoAppCrash
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
P2: praid:App
P3: 0.0.0.0
P4: 60420f33
P5: FlightSimulator.exe
P6: 0.0.0.0
P7: 60420f33
P8: c0000005
P9: 000000000011930a
P10:
1 Like

nothing to do with the 0x…00005 , but here we can see from where the VCRUNTIME140.dll for MS-Store users comes :slight_smile:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.UWPDesktop_14.0.29231.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\VCRUNTIME140.dll

( thus, related to this is a diff Steam vs MS-Store . At least what we can see from the report. )

2 Likes

Except mine wasn’t a C++ error, it just pointed to FlightSimulator.exe. I haven’t had a VCRUNTIME140.dll related error since I removed them all, and installed only the 2015-2019 version.

yep… this was a relation to former post related to the VCRUNTIME140.dll and that lots of users imagine about which is used.

Therefore I wrote “nothing to do with” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just flew 11 hours with the 747 on an LFPG to FACT without CTD.
I will continue to fly on this Windows that I call N ° 1 and if I see that I have no CTD, I will clone it, and I will clean, so that it is only used for MSFS.

I haven’t yet looked to see if there is a program, or other game, besides MSFS, and Assetto, that could work without it with Microsoft Visual C ++.

After reinstalling the vcruntime multiple times and running sfc, I had another vcruntime error again. All I can do now is just wait on Asobo

or read a bit within the mentioned specialized topic to vcruntime error and find possible a helpfull hint.

Sure ill read that thread for the 5th time and retry everything again. my apologies for asking in an active CTD thread

You’re sure you’re reading, because I just talked about CTDs caused by vcruntime140.dll and Microsoft Visual C ++
I did NOT say that I had found THE solution, but that I had been able to do a one hour flight stopped by fuel starvation, then another 11 hours without CTD.

Took off from KORD, looped around to land on a parallel runway, was on the ground for about 10 seconds, and crash. Total flight maybe 2 minutes. :wink:

Report.wer.pln (32.6 KB)

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60420f33
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x60420f33
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000011930a
Faulting process ID: 0x1ce4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d72f068af46678
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: 88a31e95-cea3-4c02-bc0d-a8c1d3ba26bd
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: MoAppCrash
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.6.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
P2: praid:App
P3: 0.0.0.0
P4: 60420f33
P5: FlightSimulator.exe
P6: 0.0.0.0
P7: 60420f33
P8: c0000005
P9: 000000000011930a
P10:

A few hours later I relaunched, did 3 or 4 touch, and go landings at KORD, overflew Chicago, then headed North to KOSH. No crashes. This randomness is the worst, and it makes we wonder how Asobo are going to be able to resolve this.

CTD caused by vcruntime140.dll and Microsoft Visual C ++ (1)

CTD caused by vcruntime140.dll and Microsoft Visual C ++ (2)
1 hour flight without CTD after uninstalling Microsoft Visual C ++ (Without reinstalling)

CTD caused by vcruntime140.dll and Microsoft Visual C ++ (3)
11 hour flight LFPG to FACT without CTD after uninstalling Microsoft Visual C ++ (Without reinstalling)

I just did 3 hours of VFR flights doing a zigzag circuit to cover as much area as possible, still no CTD

So far, since uninstalling Microsoft Visual C ++ (Without reinstalling), I have been able to do a total of 15 hours of flight time, and I haven’t had a CTD.

To be continued…

1 Like

Ich habe den MSFS vollständig aus der AMD Adrenalin Applikation entfernt, weil ich ständig den Fehler ID 1000 hatte und damit einen Crash to Desktop hatte.

Since uninstalling Microsoft Visual C ++ (without reinstallation)

I just saw that it’s when WMR starts that the desktop disappears. If I press the Windows key, to display the taskbar, on which I attached the shortcut to WMR, and I close it WMR, the desktop reappears.