Crash to desktop without error message

HI,
My CTD seems to be over.
I did several test this afternoon in USA and no more CTD.
I try with Settings on HIGH and ULTRA with AI Traffic Offline ON and OFF, and AI Traffic Online ON anf OFF too.
I did flights with TBM930, King Air 350i and Cessna Longitude.
So what i did was to follow a recommendation from Zendesk.
Go to Options - General - Data - Scenery Cache TURN OFF and delete scenery cache file.
Apply and safe.
Restart MSFS 2020 and there you go, my CTD finnish.
I start flying in USA after 1 month of CTD .

For now i’m ok.
Thanks for the support from all of you and Zendesk too.
My previous CTD before the last update was because of the scenery cache file too.
This time i switvh OFF the scenery cache option and worked for me.

1 Like

Interesting, have you noticed any degradation in performance by not having this cache on?

Thanks

Not at all. Performance keep the same for me. As on ULTRA or HIGH.
I’m about do to a flight with my payware weather engine and my payware navigation tool.
Let’s see how it goes.
I just flown trough Seatle area and Vancouver and pretty good.
Tomorrow i’m testing New York.

I’ve had cache off for a long time. Still get CTDs. For me, AI off is the best solution to reduce CTDs to maybe 1 in 10 flights.

Today I got instant CTD when trying to start the sim… Im not able to start the sim,. Removed all my community files, stopped all the 3rd party apps I use (Like Navigraph, Pilot2ATC, trackir etc…) Nothing works… What to do!? Please, help, I need to fly :cry:

I had two crashes today, having not seen one for several weeks. The first was while I was taxiing at Miami International, and the second was at 10,000ft 15 minutes out from Nassau. Earlier I had completed a 3 hour flight, and a 1 hour 51 minute flight without issue. I did have LNM running, but that had not caused any issues for me before, but I was running the 2.6.7 version anyway, which I updated earlier today.

A little frustrating to have it die over an hour into a flight, to be sure.

The same for me too, I had 4 CTDs on the weekend. Something has to happen so it doesn’t go any further … I hope the update on Tuesday that what is done there.

I always used to fly with Generic Plane models turned on, from several months back, right when that issue was around where you got random cockpit inputs going off from other players nearby. I crashed all the time back then till someone worked out that enabling those options stopped it. The downside is you don’t see other liveries, but it was very stable.

A few weeks back I turned those options off again, and was suprised to see that it appeared stable. I’ve taken part in two group flights, and a few other activities, and no crashes…till today.

I might turn those options back on again, and live with it till the next patch.

Which reminds me, the UK update is not coming out on Tuesday. It was delayed as they had some issues with cities, so was knocked back a week. There is a post in announcements about it.

Hi… for me the same… after weeks of crashes, changing a lot on my computer, today i could fly a long time… i think there was a download of a patch in the background or something ?? by the way, i did some changes on my pc e.g. install CCCleaner and cleaned registry etc… built in a new psu and what i think what helped was to play in “debug mode”, turned it at Nvidia Panel… I had a few crashes today but not so much as it was last weeks… i played all Ultra, AI-traffic on, Live-weather, speeches on… i have sync on in game and fps limited to 30… but it is a fantastic graphic even with 25 or 30 FPS… and the best is, i can play QHD with 144hz now… that was impossible before… hope it will go further this way :wink:

Same happens to me. Random CTDs, have followed all the tips and tricks to run sim.

More ctd’s than ever before. Can’t fly more than a few minutes in solo or mutliplayer. Haven’t changed a thing. Had no crashes in the beginning but now with all the updates I am crashing all the time. Something needs to be cleaned up I think.
I7-4770 3.4 G 16 MB Ram Gtx 1080

If you log a ticket, and you should, the response you get will be pretty remedial at best, but all the same, some useful stuff in there, such as removing addons. As it goes on it gets increasingly desperate, up to re-installing MSFS. But at least every crash logged tells the helpdesk the number of CTDs users are experiencing.

I’m going to leave MSFS alone setup wise, and try a few flights without LNM running in the background. It’s a classic case of changing multiple things at the same time, but I had upgraded LNM from 2.6.6 to 2.6.7 that day, and funnily enough that version is supposed to fix crash issues related to SimConnect, and AI aircraft, if memory serves.

Other SimConnect stuff I had connected at the time were Volanta (Love this by the way!), and SPAD.neXt. I took a break of Christmas, and hadn’t touched MSFS for nearly a month, but came back mid January, and flown over 10 hours without issue until that day.

yes… some users reported issues with the rolling cache.

This cache is safe bandwith for places which you already visited and so good for users with not limited bandwith. But there is CPU power necessary to manage that cache. Thus, if not limited in your internet-bandwith, the cache is not necessary :wink:

step by step :slight_smile:

Please check at first the windows event log whether an error message is logged.

Removing all mods is the correct first step. Ensure that community folder is empty.

Possible check your logins ( xbox, etc. )… possible re-login.

How much CPU power is used to manage that cache? And are you stating that retrieving a block of graphics data through the Internet is faster than retrieving the same graphics block from a cache located on an internal SSD drive?

@MichaMMA Micha is saying that CTDs are cause by a whole lot of things, including power issues. The CPU, GPU, memory, USB devices powered by the power supply, internal wireless and BlueTooth devices powered by the power supply, hard drives, SSD drives, motherboard fans and chipsets, etc., etc., etc.

In general, he’s saying get rid of any variables – mods, caches, overclocks, third-party tools, applications – that cause excess load, to see if that resolves the CTDs. He’s also offering advice about peripherals and Windows itself.

Micha, I admire you for submitting yourself to this torture in order to help others. You are a bigger man than I am. I can’t bear it anymore, especially having to read posts where you get criticized and questioned for that help. I’m out.

All the best,

Yeti

2 Likes

I agree that CTDs are caused by an unknown number of issues.

I disagree about using a “shotgun” method of troubleshooting and repair because it wastes time and upsets users. Overclocking, PSU, XMP, Bios, 4K, 2k, FPS, affinity, cache, vram, Antialiasing, TAA… How many people understand what all these terms mean? What is the minimum amount of knowledge of PCs should the average user have (vs. Xbox)? Yet users with unknown skill levels are asked to tweak and change things they don’t understand recommended by other users of unknown skill level. One user having problems asked why he couldn’t delete the C:\windows directory! WTF?

The #1 problem determination step is not to eliminate “variables”. But if it was the first step, what order should “variables” be eliminated? Many users say that “nothing has changed but now I’m having problems.” How many users keep track of every change made on their system?

Zendesk has provided a number of helpful troubleshooting how-tos Zendesk Troubleshooting List and rarely are users pointed to these first.

We all want to be helpful to our fellow users who are having problems. That is what a community is, people helping people. But there is a fine line between “being helpful” and “inadvertently misleading”.

I would just like to update everyone on my own issues with CTDs as I haven’t had a CTD in over 2 weeks. At first I thought it was just due to a random update, and some helpful people on here suggest it was due to networking issues, but the actual cause was instability in my RAM/Overclocking.

I didn’t know it was an issue because I had no issues with other games/basic tasks, but the issue was due to me trying to boost my RAM (Corsair Vengeance RGB pro)… the RAM is rated for 3200 Mhz, but my Ryzen 7 2700x has never been able to allow it to reach that target. The best I was able to get was 2800 Mhz… but that was the issue. One time I was trying to fly it not only CTD’ed on me, but gave me a BSOD which led me to my issue. I set it back to default values and have had no issues ever since. I’m planning once stocks come in (or my queue for EVGA is up) to get a 3060ti and Ryzen 7 5800x so hopefully once those arrive I’ll be able to run docp and get my RAM to it’s rated speeds with no issues…

but it could be worth a shot for some people…

2 Likes

Of course I can not say that :wink: … I summary some user experiance from users-reports of these forum, merge this together with my own experiance and try to give in these way hints to users which run into issues. In this case I “confirmed” what @Bellini1202 find out that this match with other user reports.

My own experiance at this part was, that I know that a rolling cache have advantages AND disadvantages. In special if users set this cache size to >100Gig it might go more into direction “disadvantages”. Additional to this have some users reported to have less “stutters” if they disable cache ( if not ctd ). For me, at my system, I use the cache file in 20Gig size at a second ssd. But I have in generaly zero CTD and stutters only where I expect them with my near ulta settings :wink:

I not wrote that:

I wrote that managing a Rolling Cache is not “for free” :wink:

Related to CTD…

As @Yeti64 allready mentioned. There are lots of reasons for a CTD and it is often a long way to find out what’s going wrong.

And you are right with:

The normal “user / gamer” should know nothing about… eg. the issue that users have to increase the windows virtual memory if they own less than 32Gig RAM is just a open point for “devs , faq, what ever”.
But on other side our experiance tell us, that a lot ( and I mean I lot ) of users running into issues and they know that they overcloacked here system :wink:
There are a lot more examples. All of these together makes it not easy to find out “is it users system issue” or a “real in-game bug” and more difficult question: “where should we start to search possible issues ?”.

So yes… sometimes is a “shot into the blue see” helpfully.

And last note:

what you think, how come the points at the Zendesk-FAQ ? :wink:

that makes me a little embarrassed :relaxed:. I allways assume that users not meant posts in bad way. Same as I wrote my post. Of course sometime is “the language” the barrier and sometimes users are a bit …let me say…“they reflect that they not happy about a/some/… CTD”, but in worst case I can ignore the “hard” posts.
I’am pretty sure I’am not a bit bigger than any of the other helping users in this forum :slight_smile: But realy thanks… I’am happy to read that and… it’s good for my ego :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Best thing to ask is how to recreate the problem. Every time. Random CTDs are almost impossible to troubleshoot with the tools we have. If a user has a CTD and reads about overclocking fixing someone’s problem tries the same thing. Then has another CTD. Maybe the second one is still the same problem as the first. Maybe a different problem caused the second CTD. We don’t know! We might get lucky finding something that fixes the problem.

Several weeks ago a user had a random CTD during their flight. Did they have mods? What version of the GPU driver is installed? Anything being over locked? What graphic settings are used? Who knows? What the user did was to fly the same flight plan. Boom! CTD at about the same place. Tried it again and same thing. Started flying around the location to determine where the problem was. Other users flying the same flight plan also had CTDs at the same place. Turns out that there is one building in the landscape was created differently than everything else. One building. Recreating the problem was key in the troubleshooting process. Trying random fix attempts would not have found the cause of this problem.

We definitely need better troubleshooting tools. And we need better error codes instead of CTDs with the same code for just about everything.