Crash to desktop without error message

This may have been unique to my situation, but wanted to document in case it might help someone else.

I had been running the sim fine for a couple months, outside the base game, utilizing the WT mods, and links to OnAir, Navigraph, and LNM. No crashes since back in Sept.

Last weekend, I updated both my GPU and added another 2 sticks of 16GB 3600 memory, identical to what was already installed. I ran Prime95 test to ensure system stability, no issues (running i7-10700k all cores at 4.9, lost silicon lottery, same as before upgrade).

Started getting CTDs in sim, some on menu, some in cockpit. Did all of the ‘normal’ troubleshooting steps in this thread. Event viewer was giving the normal Application faults between flightsimulator and gtcohertdraw (or dll something like that). After a day of research, found a random thread that talked about the event message being related to memory overrun, which seemed strange with 64GB. Anyway, ran windows memory diagnostic, and started getting errors immediately.

After more research (apologize if this is common knowledge), XMP profiles assume only 2 sticks of memory, and is sometimes too aggressive for 4 sticks. I changed the memory speed from 3600 to 3200, no more errors in memory test, no more CTDs.

Again, some of this may be common sense, but if it helps one person, it will save them a weekend of troubleshooting.

1 Like

first post and directly tell us, that lots of user reports are wrong :+1:

I also use Afterburner… get in meanwhile lots of error-messages (RivaT) about Hooking, or from Steam etc… MSFS does not crash in my case and I can use these tool, but who knows what the different to the other user system is.

There is a list of apps which cause trouble mentioned within FAQ ( not find the link at the moment :grimacing: ) , have FRAPS in mind and other kind of tools. Thus, we should not negate what users reported as helpfull.

PS: as the first user reported that, I was also bit skeptical… but not if many users report same.

yeah. of course… we can not mention enough, that XMP mode can cause trouble.

Thanks for reporting back.

1 Like

I really hope that this gets addressed in the upcoming sim update. Because it sure is annoying. So much that I’m going back to FSX for some quality flying. Sad…

2 Likes

XMP mode issues are user system issues :slight_smile:

I meant the CTD issues overall.

Today I had 2 CTDs in a row one related to CoherentGTJS.dll and second related to CoherentUIGT.dll. Both CTDs occurred under the same scenario - pushing “Quit to main window” button while flying A320NX in London.

Since the UK update, my sim crashes after 15 minutes and goes back to the desktop without any announcements. Before, I had a bug that made me go back to the desk at the end of each flight. It was boring but bearable. But since the UK update, this is impossible. I must also say that I do not know anything about computers. When I have concerns it’s my son who comes to help me out. But there he can do nothing. Why Asobo imposes updates of regions which interest only a certain party of pilots, but which causes problems for the majority of pilots?

1 Like

Any idea what does highlighted part mean?

Version=1

EventType=MoBEX

EventTime=132585683403514848
ReportType=2
Consent=1
UploadTime=132585683410325860
ReportStatus=2147487744
ReportIdentifier=f51d3a40-f1fa-4b63-b272-468cf8bac6d4
IntegratorReportIdentifier=b5158eae-6018-421a-b175-fbfdd57d1237
Wow64Host=34404
NsAppName=praid:App
AppSessionGuid=0000012c-0001-0187-c73e-b5eaf909d701
TargetAppId=U:Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.13.16.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe!App
TargetAppVer=1.13.16.0_x64_!2021//02//13:11:14:43!0!FlightSimulator.exe
BootId=4294967295
ServiceSplit=4103995393
TargetAsId=2507
UserImpactVector=48
IsFatal=1
EtwNonCollectReason=4
Response.BucketId=8c1ccd92eaf6017658147819497a85ed
Response.BucketTable=5
Response.LegacyBucketId=1735143806446765549
Response.type=4

This is the mobex error explained.
I’m not sure what it has to do with MSFS though.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/forum/edge_other-edge_win10/mobex/7b7b57cd-c8a7-438c-b427-63e67d7c491c

Thanks, saw that while trying to fix it and that’s what baffles me.

It is at the top of the crash dump that I posted when I get CTD on trying to launch the sim.

The common denominator is the ntdll.dll
Both MSFS and MS Edge use it.

On ONE post in the entire forum Asobo ammitted they knew about a cgl file or scenery file that is causing most of the CTDs. I forgot to write down the title or snap shot the screen as proof. I can now fly as long as I stay away from any handcrafted or almost all of my payware airports. If you can fly VNKT to VQPR (Paro) with no problem than it is the same problem most of us are having when we come within 60 miles of that bad cgl or scenery. I use REX Weatherforce 2020, Simbrief route, Simtoolkit pro, Pushback and Navigraph all running at the same time with no problem. Just stay away from certain airports. KATL Imagesim, my main airport, is ok.

RivaTuner has a new beta that fixes the “hooking” problem. I used it over the weekend with no problems.

1 Like

Challenge is, ntdll used by all apps for communication with underlying kernel.

Null pointer exception (c0000005) indicating memory access violation means process/app failed to write to the OS and that doesn’t give much information unless one has the source code of app to debug it.

1 Like

My trail of post US update CTDs have evolved from occasional to every flight experiencing either an immediate CTD prior to take off, or loss of avionics and flaps a short time into the flight, followed later by a CTD. I am only flying the 172. Anyone else?

What are your rig specs?

Are you located in UK/Europe?

I am having the exact same issue with VCRUNTIME140.dll. I believe this has to do with AMD driver and Reverb driver. I am on 6800XT and Reverb G2. Flying 2d doesn’t seem to cause any CTD. But, in VR it is every flight that is over 30 minutes or so.

I am in Australia