Crash to desktop without error message

■■■■■ ■■■■■■, if you don’t do it yourself, it will be done wrong.

I shudder already thinking about what is broken already in my soon to be new house…

On topic: since the newest update I also get random CTD without warning. Just back to desktop and that is it. Never had that before.
My PC is squeaky clean in terms of mods, software, oc etc. Hardware is DIY (since over 20 years been doin’ that).

I9900k
Rtx3090
32 gb ram ddr4 stock speeds
Nvme SSD 1TB

Temps stay as in every other 3d application.

1 Like

I have seen bad memory sticks (intermittently failing) in brand new name-brand PCs cause untold grief and misery for even EXPERT technicians to track down and replace. As you know, there is probably not a more hated word in the dictionary for a repair person to hear than the word “intermittent”…
Often though, just going into the PC and methodically re-seating connectors and components can solve some “intermittents”.

PC’s usually include hardware diagnostic tests that the user can run to help isolate faulty hardware components. Typically for RAM there are the so-called short tests and long tests. To detect intermittent RAM, the long test is recommended.

A “brief” summary of what I have done so far:

In my case, I was able to space the CTDs by installing the English (US) language.
But what for the moment seems to give better results is disabling the management of virtual memory by Windows, because I read that it could manage it badly.

I read that it was necessary to multiply its physical RAM by 1024.
Example with 32GB of RAM
32x1024 = 32768MB
Then multiply by 1.5
32768x1.5 = 49152Mo (Value to enter as virtual memory)

I did a 9 hour flight with a CTD at the end, 50 yards from the landing ramp.

I watched several videos on virtual memory, it’s so complex that I couldn’t understand everything. But I still understood that it played a very important role in Windows, it is this which allows several applications to be able to work at the same time, using the same files, something that would be impossible to do with the RAM.

I have also read that these CTDs can be caused, by a modification of Windows.
When Windows 10 came out, it had a reputation for spying on everything we did on the PC to send them to Microsoft.
Many tutorials have flourished on Youtube to disable all these spy modules. There are now apps that turn them off automatically.
It turns out that disabling some of these modules can be the cause of CTD.

Ok so this has been said already many times but I just deleted my rolling cache and re-enabled it at default. CTD gone for me.

1 Like

What do you mean by “reenabled it’s by default”? Did you deleted it and then just re enable it?

I believe that when Rolling Cache is deleted via the in-game settings, it will also get disabled at the same time and you have to re-enable it. It’s always good practice to do that after every MSFS update as it’s just cache, everything in there is transient data which can be deleted at any given time.

1 Like

I did the same as Valkenswaard, I deleted my rolling cache and re-enabled it. I also switched off AI
I also lowered all traffic to 20, including aircraft ,ships, vehicles, you name it.

Flew 3 short flights today Santa Barbara to L.A. Aircraft … FBW A32NX with no problems.

Here are a few readings

30-40 fps in the Air, 30fps coming into land, 24 fps on the tarmac
CPU has 22% usage and under 60°C
GPU has 70% usage and under 62°C.

Nearly all settings on High, Clouds & Terrain on Ultra

I built this PC and tested using 3DMark and Heaven, and performed well above average according to score so the Hardware is good, the problems definitely lie with all the updates, even the updates are managed differently by Xbox. People say download the 1gig from Xbox first but I have never had that opportunity it’s just downloading at startup… no options.

I would expect people with problems have tested their builds to make sure it’s not the PC at fault?

Window 10 pro 64
Ryzen 7 3700X
GIGABYTE RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GAMING OC Pro
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (DDR4-3200)
Gigabyte 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE
MSI Mag341CQ 3440 x 1440
[/quote]

Removed. thanks to alert.

1 Like

I am a software developer, with programming expertise. graduated in computer science.

I think above all, as an end user, we should wait or ask for a refund.

As an end user, we must not manipulate our machine in a way that makes a functional game, which in reality should work naturally.

I invested in a machine just to simulate in Flight Simulator 2020, I was simulating well for two months and now I can’t do it anymore, I’m sure it’s not my machine, it happened after the last update of the simulator. in this case, the software MUST ADAPT TO THE HARDWARE, not the other way around.

As an end user I do not allow such manipulation on my computer, imagine a child or an old person having to manipulate Win10 or some game folder to play, this should not happen, especially if you want to sell a product on a large scale.

It’s just my opinion, there was already a user of this topic wanting to counterattack, but the real thing is that many people here in Brazil spent almost half the minimum wage to have the game and have not yet played because of these problems that have ARISED.

My problem that came up in the last update:

• Play with Crash to desktop (CTD) after 20-30 minutes of flight, in some cases during taxiing for takeoff.
4 Likes

unfortunately increasing the virtual memory was also unsuccessful. but it was worth the try.

I get the feeling a problem is also the constant updates from windows which keep on annoying me all the time. I mean what is going on. Each time you boot up the pc it feels like you can download updates (and I don’t mean definition updates).
At some point this has to interfere with something. An everchanging software environment if you will.

I could be wrong…

While I do feel sorry for those having intractable problems with MSFS, one must keep in mind that there is an almost infinite number of PC configurations trying to run the sim. Different processors, graphics cards, memory configurations, different motherboards and different BIOS, different versions of Windows, different internet connections, different addons, overclocking and other tinkering etc. etc. etc… Asobo et al couldn’t possibly test all of them in a lifetime!
Also consider that at any given time there are about 5000 users, just on Steam! I would imagine that the majority are not experiencing “unplayable” results and that there is no “fatal flaw” in the sim for most people. I recommend that anyone having issues, not to throw in the towel, but to persevere and try to find out what your issue really is.

2 Likes

I agree with you, I worked as a computer technician for a multinational. But I have no diploma, I am self-taught. (The very first user I troubleshooted was from Brazil)
I was in contact with developers, who sent us programs. We installed them, users tested them, managers validated or not. If they did not validate, not the developers would recognize.
But there as wilco3563 just said
Rightly so, there are too many parameters to take into account to find a solution that will suit everyone.
There will always be an area on the map that will do CTDs

I saw someone on another topic on CTD, who had uninstalled MSFS while waiting for it to get better.
Me the first, if some time ago the computer possioned me and that I made a job of it, in this case, it takes the head to spend at least 90% of my playing time to make tests .
I launch flights of several hours, on automatic pilot, and in the morning when I wake up, it is the surprise to know if there has been a CTD (or not)

Either I choose the option of our friend who has everything installed and who is waiting for the solution to fall from the sky, or I try to do something, looking for solutions, searching the web.

I’ll take the example of Assetto Corsa Competizione, which for months, not to mention years, was unplayable in VR. While searching the internet, I came across a guy, who had found a solution by modifying game files. Thanks to this DIY solution, I was able to enjoy the game, while others were spending all their time ■■■■■■■■. against Kunos, until they find a solution that works for everyone.

1 Like

I did the same, and it worked for a while. After that while, constant CTD.

As I said on the other topic, this is an unacceptable outlook. I’m perfectly happy to tinker with things to optimize software performance, but I’m not going to jump through hoops to actually get the product to work at the most basic level!

When I pay for a product it should work. Why should I pay for a product then spends hours “working” to try and get it to do what it’s advertised to do?!?!

Maybe Asobo or Microsoft would be interested in paying me a wage for all my work?

3 Likes

You’re right, and all I can say is that I did well to listen to my little finger. I wouldn’t say more.
When I see that these vcruntime140.dll error issues are not from MSFS 2020, but from long before, on pre-released versions, I don’t think there is ever a solution.

I’m going back to the 21.3.1 of the AMD driver, because with the 21.3.2 which seemed to work well, it’s a disaster. I only have CTDs after a few minutes, with AMD errors in the event viewer.

I guess a few of the questions to be asked here are:

• As regular gamers and/or simmers, do we often see titles that crash as often, yet as randomly and in so many different ways?
  • Do we often see titles that become stable after one patch, where the user can go for months without a CTD before the next patch starts causing unexplained crashes to several people? (this being a reoccurring issue every few patches)
  • Do we often see games that have as many different official (and mostly irrelevant to each other) workarounds such as the ones listed in https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015893879-Crashing-CTDs-issues?
  • Do we often have games with lots of fellow users offering unofficial advice with additional workarounds (usually with mixed or questionable results), some of which are relatively intrusive to the operating system itself? (e.g. registry changes for TrdLevel and other values, ownership changes to the installation folder in order to update .exe properties and so on)
  • Do we often see games where even if the user has available resources (e.g. RAM), they still need to proceed with workarounds that override OS default settings (such as manually increasing pagefile size), because the OS itself cannot handle the game’s requirements (or vice versa)? There are several users who disagree with this practice anyway, here’s the latest discussion: Swapfiles, CTD and performance, a warning ( I seriously cannot remember a single time in the last 10+ years where I had to change pagefile size to accomodate a game’s need, so why MSFS?)
  • Do we often see games which can sometimes crash because of a “significant” number of USB devices connected to the system (e.g. 10+) or even because of hidden and disconnected USB devices?
  • Do we often see titles which are effectively under the same umbrella as the company that owns the OS, yet the game seems to have so many conflicts with the OS itself?
  • Do we often see games which are as sensitive to even mild GPU/CPU overclocking or factory XMP profiles, none of which seem to affect most/all other games?
  • Do we often see games where you try to download the next 1GB update but for whatever reason the installer will end up downloading 20, 30, 100GB and, again, this being a reoccurring issue affecting several users after every patch?

And so on, the list is not exhaustive and in some cases I may be overstretching a bit, so you may add your own points but I hope you get my meaning. As an isolated issue each of the above bullets is not a big thing, but when you have lots of these combined in one single game then one begins to question.

As for me, I’ve yet to find a software title that consistently crashes because of Xbox Game Bar, even when the Bar is always running in the background because I am never really using it. And this starting to happen all of a sudden after a game patch.

If the answer to most of the above often’s is “yes”, then it’s a common phenomenon. If “no”, then something’s inherently wrong with MSFS and it still needs a lot of work. In a sense it sometimes seems like a hurried title still in its early access phase, yet with an above-premium price.

If it was a game franchise with new versions coming in every couple of years (like with the old MS Flight Simulators until FSX), then I presume there’d be plenty of people waiting for MSFS2022 to see if it fares any better. But with MSFS being the long commitment that it is supposed to be (and I prefer it this way), we sincerely hope there’ll be a time when all these seemingly never-ending issues will come to an end.

4 Likes

I had that problem, but i made some changes in my PC options, and now the CTD has gone.

PC specifications:

• CPU: AMD 5800X
  • GPU: AMD RX-5700XT
  • MOBO: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
  • DISCS: M2 Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 1TB for OS / M2 SAMSUNG 960 EVO 1 TB for MSFS / 2 x SSD 1TB MUSHKIN ENHACED RAW for data
  • AIO: ARTIC LIQUID FREEZER II 240
  • PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA 1300 G2 80+ GOLD
  • MEM: OLOy 2x 16GB DDR4 3600 CAS 18
  • CASE: CORSAIR 4000D with 4x Fan 12mm
  • MONITOR: SCEPTRE C325B 185hz 32” 1080p for MSFS and ASUS MX279H 60hz 27” 1080p for another stuff like charts, webpage, etc

Drivers and software:

• Windows 10 Pro 20H2 - Last Version
  • GPU Drivers AMD 21.3.2 - Last Version
  • MSFS Microsoft Store 1.14.6.0 - Last Version

MSFS Hardware:

• Saitek Pro FLight Rudder Pedals
  • Logitech Flight Pro Yoke
  • Logitech G Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant x 2

MSFS Setup:

• Default configuration
  • No AddOns
  • Graphics preset setup: ULTRA

Issues:

• At first 5 flight minutes … CTD, whatever place, weather, time or graphics settings (tried with low, medium, high, ultra and custom settings)

Solution:

• BIOS: default options, except DOC (similar to XMP Profiles for Intel ) setup for RAM Memory to 3600MHz
  • No OC in CPU or GPU with any tool in Windows or BIOS, except CTR 2.0 RC5 for CPU
  • No custom Virtual Memory (when i changed MSFS has CTDs every time)

Additional, i saw that ULTRA settings has best performance that HIGH settings, or any custom setting… I don’t know why.

That’s all

When you say “No virtual memory” do you say the configuration like that?

Yes… virtual memory as default ( system management)

I have 32Gb and that can change with another specs like 16 gb.

For reference, when I run MSFS, the RAM used is between 16 gb to 20 gb