Crash to desktop without error message

I know that it can be discouraging and frustrating. Believe me, I have been there. However, there is a solution out there (80% have no issues) and we are more likely to find the common denominator if we report to the zendesk so they have a repository of cases with problems. That way they are more likely to see patterns which may lead to a solution. I know it’s not perfect but it’s the best thing we have. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Don’t give up.

While I agree with the basis for your post, I strongly advise doing a thorough system check before doing any re-installs. It is unlikely that a simple Windows re-install will have any effect. If a file is missing or corrupt an integrity check should detect that. A full re-install usually takes most users backwards, unless they are well versed in the installation process and proper system prep.

That Zendesk is just a form letter list of things that might help when you are having CTDs. I am surprised they didn’t put " Buy a New PC" at the bottom of the list.

2 Likes

Absolutely.

I was just wondering because it’s not inconceivable that it’s a Windows 10 installation which was an upgrade from 7 or 8, and could be years old.

Unlikely probably, but not impossible. I learnt years ago never to upgrade Windows. It’s always better to start fresh with the new gen operating system.

1 Like

I want to be the kings of the blind, but if you think that it is by sending reports Zendesk that the CTDs are going to be solved, let me tell you that you are the kings of the naive.

If with more than 100 subjects on the CTDs open since the game’s release in August 2020, they haven’t been able to resolve these CTDs, you don’t think it’s with a few more, or less, Zendesk reports that they’re going to be successful …

1 Like

Internet connection is 50 mbps. If not many are having these issues, why is this thread so long?

3 Likes

But if there was only one subject on the CTD …
100 subjects on the CTDs

Millions of people play this game, yet the number of people that use this forum and then consequently have CTD issues that are rendering the game unusable are but a tiny fraction of that number.

I’m not for one minute dismissing the issue and it certainly exists as I’ve had it happen (although in almost every case I’ve been able to trace the cause, and it’s always been an add-on) but for those who can’t even start the game something else is going on. We can say that unequivocally as there are hundreds of thousands of people out there who can play the game just fine.

It’s like all the people complaining about CTD’s with Just Flight’s Arrow. That software isn’t to blame, as there are plenty of people that have none. If there were a fundamental problem with the Arrow itself it would be crashing for everyone, all of the time.

What can be said for sure though is that your 50mbps internet connection isn’t the culprit.

Here’s the thing. All of us that are having CTDs are extremely frustrated. A lot of us have tried everything that’s been suggested, and a lot of us still aren’t getting results. Obviously I wanna thank everyone that’s been trying to help but nothing has worked. My CTDs are very random. I’ve had crashes while still at the gate, in the air, on approach, and I sometimes can go a few flights without a CTD. I managed to complete 3 flights in a row without a CTD after trying the explorer.exe fix. I figured I had found the problem. However last night it crashed again. Also mentioning I have no other programs running. It’s FS2020 and that’s it. Not even an internet browser runs while I try. I also fly alone (no AI or Live Players) and the text-to-speech is the offline version, but I also have had crashes with the online TTS as well.

3 Likes

There are more causes for CTD than known solutions to be sure. If you take the time to look thru the release notes of the various updates you will see that the team has included CTD fixes in nearly every update.

The issue is simple. As @GlitteryGecko5 stated, it is about seeing patterns. The ability to find that common denominator that allows the developer to then duplicate a CTD, consistently. Without the ability to recreate the conditions, reliably, any fix is a guess, just like some of the tips presented on this forum. When the developer can confirm a specific cause through hypothesis, test, confirm results and repeat, (the scientific method), a viable solution can be implemented.

There are so many different possible combinations of conditions that cause a CTD that it is impossible to find them all without data, lots of data. The possibility of a system induced CTD is also very real. There is no chance that a fix will be implemented in the code that will prevent those. There is an extensive list growing on the forum of successful fixes that users can do themselves. I personally mined the multitude of CTD threads and found that nearly 40% (37.8%) of the users that reported CTD of various types found a solution that solved the problem, almost 60% (58.2%) significantly reduced the number of crashes to a minimal level. That proves that it is not all code issues.

The CTD issue is listed as “Ongoing” with a target completion of “ASAP”. If that is not a priority indicator, I don’t know what is. This thread has been monitored closely by the team and I am sure they have gleaned the same data that I have. That more data is required. The best way to provide that data is to make the ZENDESK reports, after following the guidelines set out. Remove the community folder and reproduce the CTD using ONLY the default sim. When you can confirm that the failure is NOT induced by an outside force, software or hardware, then fill out the report with as much detail as possible. Be sure to describe EXACTLY the steps that lead up to the CTD.

Patience will win this battle as far as the code goes. As for the user system caused CTD’s, those will always be with us.

2 Likes

I feel your frustration, I really do. It must be extremely annoying.

Have you stress tested your machine? One this is for sure, if any piece of software is going to expose a potential flaw it will be this.

Early on a had a couple of crashes and it was that I’d OC’d my GPU clock just a little too much. No benchmark software or other game pushed it to crash, but FS did. As soon as I backed it off slightly it was rock steady.

I’be looking to fully stress test the CPU, GPU and RAM. You can use the built in stuff for the RAM, but the CPU and GPU will need 3rd party software.

@ EnoughBard39362

I wonder how much you have in reserve, to come and tell us that we are necessarily responsible for our CTDs ???

The more I block, the more I see that appear from I don’t know where

1 Like

Ok. You spiral into self pity and blame Asobo but it won’t get you anywhere.

Meanwhile I’ll keep flying around in FS happily.

If that’s what you get for trying to help I’ll bow out and leave you to your echo chamber :roll_eyes:

Best of luck sorting it out.

I think there is a general issue since the last update. My friends and I are all experiencing constant ctds and we have never had any issues before. We can’t even work out what is causing it because its totally random. Hehe. Ah well. Hopefully the next update will sort it out. I wish we could get a proper error log from flight Sim. Anyone have any ideas how this can be done?

I think by now most of us have established the fact that the fault is more often than not, not with configurations, as we’ve tried everything to no avail and it is only MSFS that crashes on our systems, nothing else.

The fault is with MSFS’s inherent instability.

There are some lucky ones that have figured out what was wrong, sometimes it was even their own doing. So they fixed it and that was the end of it.

There are some unlucky ones that are still battling with CTDs and nothing works. But it’s not their fault.

2 Likes

For me i figured out the most issue were the afterburner oc for my graphic cards. i got crashes while using simlink, simconnect etc. i always thought it was that. but sometimes after disabling / not using it it happen again. now as i rested the afterburner oc function, everything works well. strange sterange but for the moment ok for me (cpu is still oc, only graphic cards is running on stock)

2 Likes

I can’t believe it. After a month of agonising troubleshooting, I finally found the solution for my CTDs: updating Realtek Audio Driver. Thank you so much @willisxdc for this post, getting me on the right track, just as I was about to go to my last resort and reinstall Windows, which, judging by other posts here, is not even a likely solution.

Since early April I have had constant CTDs. Yes, empty Community folder. At the loading screen, in the menu, when clicking fly, as soon as getting on runway or typically no more than 15 minutes of flying. CTDs mostly seemingly at random, but occasionally appearing to be due to clicking buttons in cockpit or switching from cockpit to external view. In Event Viewer the crash reports varying between Flightsimulator.exe, WwiseLibPCx64P.dll, CoherentGTJS.dll, grammar.pggmod, RenoirCore.WindowsDesktop.dll and WTF.dll.

Thought I had tried everything apart from Windows reinstall. But then, the fix - Realtek Audio Driver, version 6.0.1.8746, downloaded from Asus (in my case, this page). I also updated the Firmware and chipset driver just prior to the audio driver, but still had crashes. Then installed the Audio Driver, and no more CTDs… Could also have been a combination of the 3 drivers that was necessary to fix it.

I really wish updating system drivers was mentioned in the main list of things to try. Didn’t occur to me to update other drivers than Nvidia graphics drivers (and I’ve tried quite a few versions of that this last month…) Of course, I may have overlooked suggestions of this here in the forums prior to the post mentioned above. Supposedly Windows (on Intel systems at least?) should update these drivers via Windows Update, but clearly not always to the newest versions. So it probably would not even have been fixed by a Windows reinstall for me.

ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER ROG Strix OC
Intel Core i7-9700K
ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming
HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 2666MHz 16GB

2 Likes

About to try Realtek 6.0.9136.1 which the latest version suggested by MSI (release on their site yesterday), which will replace 6.0.9102.1. Let’s see if it makes any difference for me.

Unfortunately, Windows will often replace OEM drivers with generic windows drivers. This is fine in most cases, but I have found that ASUS chipsets in particular are sensitive about who they talk to. In many cases it works fine but the OEM drivers are required for some functionality to work reliably.

Glad I could be of some assistance. Gladder (if that’s a word) still you were able to solve your issue.

So I did those tests. All is good with RAM, GPU, and CPU. I uninstalled my Radeon software as well, but after a test a few minutes ago, the sim crashed again. I’m not sure what else there is for me to try unless there was something I haven’t tried yet, but I feel like I’ve exhausted all suggestions. I might just have to play the waiting game. Even though unsuccessful, I appreciate everyones help.

1 Like