Crash to desktop without error message

Windows Update KB5004296 installed and so far no problems.
knockingonwood

2 Likes

Were you having problems before you installed that patch?

1 Like

If the question was for me-then no. My sim was perfectly fine before this piece of garbage was released. I flew Auckland to LA all night without a CTD. The problem is the update they just released.

2 Likes

A thoughtful and well informed description of the issues facing far too many of us. It seems likely there will never be a silver bullet that simply resolves everyones problems but it would be nice if Asobo would at least acknowledge they are chipping away at them, if indeed they are. Maybe Windows 11 will offer some relief. Will anyone be game to try it?

3 Likes

I can find little logic in the CTD’s other than some mods causing one. So I removed them and atm flying without mods.

So, still CTD’s, which annoys me because it comes on top of all the other nonsense Misobo (re-)introduced with SU5 and I never had CTD’s before.

One thing that generally causes a CTD for me seems to be when I make a scenic flight from A to B via C. I stopped doing that, it may not be the actual problem but when I do A to B I have no CTD.

Hi,
Tried that (as i said i tried all things you and others suggested earlier on) but as it had no effect on the outcome i returned to previous settings.

Now your suggestion about login related problems is interesting, i have been thinking about that myself. But have no clue how to find out if there is a problem with login. I only use one account on my pc (my microsoft account) And i can login with same account in XBox app.
For now i am out of ideas.

Searching for a solution on this forum, other places and facebookgroups i found some more users that could not install MSFS anymore. I hope in near future when the CTD problems diminish developers will get more time to research install problems like mine and come with a solution.
For now i give up but will stay following the forums, facebookgroups and Zendesk announcements hoping for the golden tip.

Thanks again for your efforts to help,
Ed

No, and I wasn’t referring to the sim patch either, but the Windows patch KB5004296 @Sugger71 installed. I was just curious as to whether it really resolved anything at all. It’s my experience on the forums that a combination of a single successful flight, plus the placebo effect, often leads to any number of strange suggestions being cited as guaranteed fixes.

2 Likes

You can install the Windows KB5004296 patch. I don’t think it will get any worse.

But (20H2) - did not help me.

Let me say when this game crashes to desktop after a few minutes constantly even when i was in settings and looked around (not flying) and after installed KB5004296 patch i did a bunch of training missions and a single flight - then KB5004296 fixed my CTD.

3 Likes

justforinfo
Win 10 Pro / 21H1, Ryzen 1700X, RX480 8GB, 16GB

Hmm, I had a set of random CTDs earlier today. First one happened few minutes after loading the flight and another 10 minutes after departure. It is so annoying. On one hand we get permanent issues with air temperatures which prevents us from flying airliners, and on another we have random CTDs.

Before Sim Update 5 CTDs were really rare - maybe one per 20-30 flights (caused by insufficient space on hard drive). Now it is a plague. I hope that they are going to fix those urgently as performance boost is pleasantly nice and I just cannot wait to fly to larger airports.

I have a working simulator and some spare time.

I have deliberately tried to create a CTD issue and I have succeeded! when I press the ‘Fly’ button my sim crashes to desktop.

I am now trying to fix the problem that I have deliberately created to no avail so far. My approach to this is from a different direction, trying to create a CTD. If I learn anything from this I will let you know.

I have been experimenting with Windows system restore, (turning it on) and Process Laso and the A320NX. At this time, turning on system restore appears to have started the CTD issue for me which would be surprising if this was so, I cannot be sure, however I have done something I now regret!

Charles.

I have a theory based on the start screen.
You get the picture of the Rhino with the yellow aircraft for a few seconds and then the message “checking for updates”. If this message is about 15 seconds and then back to the rhino picture things are going to be OK.
If the "checking for updates " message goes on for more than a minute or longer you are going to get a CTD somewhere in the flight.
This is my experience since SU5.
Makes me think it is something to do with my connection to the servers.

This topic is heading towards 5000 responses …!

2 Likes

just not good enough from asbos point and they have left us all weekend with nothing not even a comment / acknowledgement

2 Likes

That is the absolute worst thing, they haven’t even acknowledged these issues?
This is seriously and objectively unprofessional

3 Likes

…perhaps fixing the ‘minor’ memory leaks wasn’t enough. :confused:

Maybe they are busy working on the problems and don’t have time to comment until they get things better-fixed.

CTD after spawning on the airfield and then switching controls from one aircraft to another. While scrolling through my various aircraft control setups, I accidentally landed on “default”, and I got CTD. Live traffic/live weather on.

They probably forgot the location of the error logs :wink:

1 Like

We need to hear from Asobo!

Everywhere you look, forums, internet search, social Media, Youtube - people are complaining about the current state of the Flight Simulator after the Xbox release and the hotfix. And while some people are happy, most of us are left in a situation where we can’t fly without a CTD very long. This is no fun. Most frustrating is, that there is no news from Asobo to the many reactions.

With over 2 Million Users and as a huge majority, the PC users need to have priority over xbox interests. We spend fortunes on hardware, control devices and addons to make this hobby as realistic as possible. That should be respected and have the highest consideration from Microsoft and Asobo. We are very loyal customers.

We need a flight simulator that:

• Has minimal CTD’s
  • have graphics are back to the level of before the xbox Update (currently everythings is blurry)
  • allows addon developers to be able to rely on the platform and won’t make their work invane.
  • meets highest quality control standards before release
  • has community approved updates

Please give us some communication about fixing the simulator, Asobo!

2 Likes