Crash to desktop without error message

Will Ctds ever going to be fixed PC and Xbox?

1 Like

I’m not saying you have but this is typical behaviour of overclocks or heat issues. Even factory gpu overclocks are not guaranteed to work for every game or programme.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion but definitely not the case, doesn’t consistently crash after 10 minutes, it’s quite random. I also have my fps limited to 30 fps and it crashes independent of processing load (NYC vs middle of desert = no difference). I’ve been troubleshooting for a week now and it’s impossible to pin it down to one variable, but it seems to be something to do with how MSFS is interacting with display and/or possibly audio drivers. Have submitted a ticket.

OK but I will say I had a smallish Afterburner OC on GPU memory that worked for months until the SU7 hotfix and now it crashes after about 10 minutes and nothing to do with temps (hotspot 74°C). Default settings = zero issues.

Thanks yeah I have nothing OC’d, the GPU model (ASUS) does have a slightly higher boost than reference but the base clock is factory and it’s a fairly light load with the 30 fps lock. I haven’t touched the clocks myself. I’ve left almost everything default except for the changes suggested in the troubleshooting guides. Unless the locked fps in Nvidia control panel is causing the issues but that would be bizarre if so. I guess I’ll try that. Unfortunately the vsync options in game don’t work as inferred as the “30 fps” vsync is actually a 1/2 refresh vsync, so with a 144Hz monitor that is 77 fps lock. And the 20 fps lock is only 46 fps, so it’s not very helpful. Perhaps I will have to manually change my refresh rate before booting up msfs until they fix it.

Not ideal but have you tried setting your monitor to 60Hz either on the monitor or by creating a custom resolution? That way setting vsinc on (no max fps cap) in NVCP will automatically limit you to 60Hz and 60fps. If neccessary someone cleverer than me could probably write a script so that it’s only for MSFS to include in a Fast-launch link.

I’m trying that now and I can’t say for sure yet but so far it looks like maybe that was it, hasn’t crashed so far. Doesn’t make any sense to me but that’s fine I’ll just run my monitor at 60Hz for now if that fixes it. I’ve left NVCP at default settings and have vsync on @ 30 fps in game. I don’t play FPS games much anymore anyway.

Update: managed to fly the F-18 for over 30 mins at max speed and through some city areas at low level, was incredibly stable and smooth. Landed at a small airstrip and exited to main menu, I clicked quit to desktop, and just as I was thinking “wow I think it’s working”, my PC BSOD’d lmao. Random issue with the fresh Win install though, ran sfc and it’s fixed something so that’s probably it. I ran sfc on my old install and all was fine. So I’m pretty sure it was the NVCP settings that were causing the CTDs.

Update 2: False alarm. Crashed again 10-15 mins into a flight with the default a320. I was letting the AI pilot fly though so not sure if maybe that had something to do with it. Was just he was about to call for takeoff clearace. Nvidia driver crash according to event viewer this time though so yeah dunno. Guess I could try 511.65 again with vsync locked in game lol… and the troubleshooting loop continues.

Oh dear! It sounds like your PC has problems as BSODs are mostly limited to hardware but can also be memory access violations and bad drivers. Usual suspects are PSU spikes or bad ram but check all connections and seatings before condemning your PC, e.g. I had a problem with a modular psu cable that came loose at the psu end where it was hidden from view and although my gpu kind of worked it caused a CTD or two before I found it. I’ll just mention that in the past I’ve also fixed ram problems simply by swapping them over.

1 Like

Today I am getting CTD on the ready button again. Been flying for weeks regularly and haven’t updated my nvidia to the recent update. Flew yesterday for hours with no issue. Today I had the electrical system failing in mulitple planes then started getting CTDs inflight and now I can’t even load a flight after selecting ready to fly. Any ideas?

Maybe it’s that solar storm we’re being hit with right now? :rofl:
(problem is I’m not even sure that I’m joking!)

1 Like

I wish it was that simple to explain. haha

1 Like

Nah it’s nothing like that, PC is fine, it’s likely because the fresh windows install was trying to update stuff while
Msfs was running or just a windows update bork. Bsod was due to a corrupt OS file, SFC fixed the file. Previous installs of windows were fine. Every other program runs fine and always has. Only issue I’m having is with Msfs.

Appreciate the suggestions but yeah if you were in my place you would be able to clearly see that msfs is the outlier here.

1 Like

Ah OK then … I didnt think anyone would let Windows update while gaming and to be quite honest I’d say multicore systems should be able to handle it. Anyway good luck and I hope you find the problem.

BSOD points in 99% of the cases to a system issue and it must be a reason that windows found invalid system files on your disc. In special it is nothing related to MSFS.

Your other reported CTD… ensure your windows is full updated, in special of a new installation of it. Also check the list of know conflicting applications or applications which running in parallel, if it is the case.
In special check sound-drivers or auto-installed sound tools like asus sonar, mixer, etc…

In special if I read such reports from you:

PS: the software runs fine for some million people, so the solution is not to repeat in each of your post that the problem lies in MSFS. The game is not free of bugs, but also not the “bad boy for all issues caused from user systems”.

Also for all of these mentioned dll-symthoms you find possible topics in forum:

And dont forget , todo number one of searching possible reasons for CTD is : remove your mods and parallel running applications.

Yes I don’t know exactly what happened, but it’s very odd. Thanks.

BSOD points in 99% of the cases to a system issue and it must be a reason that windows found invalid system files on your disc. In special it is nothing related to MSFS.

It’s entirely possible that MSFS could have corrupted the files. However I’m guessing it was a freak bsod to do with windows update still doing clean up from the very fresh windows install (I’d literally just reinstalled save a few reboots to install drivers).

Your other reported CTD… ensure your windows is full updated, in special of a new installation of it. Also check the list of know conflicting applications or applications which running in parallel, if it is the case.
In special check sound-drivers or auto-installed sound tools like asus sonar, mixer, etc…

If you’d read my posts properly you would have known that I literally just reinstalled windows. The new install, as with the old install, is completely up to date and all relevant drivers installed. No other applications running besides Steam. Also note, It has CTD’d almost every time I’ve run it in the past week, which has been a lot in order to troubleshoot, this isn’t a couple of CTDs, this is it CTDing virtually every time it runs, and not always with the same module at fault in event viewer.

Thanks but I have followed all the guides three times over. All the testing I’ve done has been on a default sim install. I followed the guide to uninstall Realtek driver and use generic windows driver - it actually made msfs less stable.

PS: the software runs fine for some million people, so the solution is not to repeat in each of your post that the problem lies in MSFS. The game is not free of bugs, but also not the “bad boy for all issues caused from user systems”.

I never said it was, but it has A LOT of issues. Most of the steps mentioned in the troubleshooting guides should not be necessary for a stable properly functional program. There’s another thread posted in Jan with I think hundreds of people recently reporting constant CTDs making the game unplayable, which suggests something has been changed either server side or in WU7 that is causing it.

And dont forget , todo number one of searching possible reasons for CTD is : remove your mods and parallel running applications.

The very first thing I did was remove mods. I know what I’m doing, apart from experience in personal life I have also studied and worked as an IT professional and I have never had issues like this with any other software before. I can’t remember the last time I got a bsod. So I’m putting that one down to freak occurrence. But given how unstable MSFS is, and it was the only thing running, and it happened right when I closed msfs… it’s entirely possible it contributed to a corrupted a system file.

nope… MSFS does/can not corrupt system files :wink:

we read that often, and then comes the worst asus tools on top, etc… :slight_smile:

The main point I want to mention was:
the game just works fine for a lot of users. I can not remember that I got a CTD… I had a freeze in december, may caused from weahter issue.

We have also topics about crash while closing the app… so far I remember it was windows virtual memory related, but its while ago. Important are for me to find solution if you report “crash allways after 10 minutes”. And all what we know here in forum about such “crashs after short time”, was system related. We here , in yellow category, can only discuss hints and you can tell what you tried from our hints / guesses … and with luck you find the root cause. In special exists hints / experiance related to ucrtbase.dll , nvwgf2umx_cfg.dll, etc. ( note that combination of error-number and dll is important ) and therefore the answers you get points to sound-drivers or other system issues.

1 Like

I don’t see how it can’t - If MSFS causes the system to hang or crash while a system file is being modified, that’s going to cause problems is it not? It happened when I clicked exit to desktop in MSFS - that’s some coincidence.

Yes both nvwgf2umx_cfg.dll and ucrtbase.dll have caused crashes, and with generic audio drivers I had crashes from audiodg.exe also, however mostly they are just FlightSimulator.exe. Have not seen a ucrtbase.dll one on new install yet.

One thing not mentioned is motherboard revisions and bios versions … early ones can be unstable hence why updates soon follow.

Bios, drivers, OS everything fully up to date, including peripherals drivers.

Fresh windows install.

No bloatware installed. GFE not installed.

Hardware and BIOS at factory settings except for XMP.

Fresh MSFS install.

Empty community folder and no 3rd party programs except Volanta. (I also tested before installing volanta - no different)

Realtek installed or uninstalled makes little difference, if anything less stable with generic driver.

Peripherals connected or disconnected- no difference.

Sim ran perfectly stable for hours on end with over 50 mods after SU7 + HF up to just a few days before WU7, or after WU7. Around that time.

There’s more but that should address the main concerns.

I will test without XMP as I have not tried yet but I can just about guarantee it will make no difference, nor should it.