Crash to desktop without error message

Can you elaborate on this? I have a new computer…with a 3080…and constant CTD

If you do a google search for 3080 cards crashing, there are a lot of returns.

lol yeah, but all other games do not have any issues^^

And in my opinion this is no valid option to have to reset your pc and reinstall windows… :slight_smile:

3 of my guys 2 bought new computers and one bought a 3080 card and they all had CTD and after one of the guys called their PC service department after they heard what was going on with his computer they said there was a bad batch of 3080’s and he had to send his card in and they sent him a new one. the other guys did the same thing

1 Like

I knew about CTD issue for a while, but I was calling myself a fortunate one. I could throw everything at my pc and finish a vatsim flight with mods and everything without any issues well today was different CTD twice once in cruise and other on arrival over 1h in. Well since it’s just started for me I’ll try to go over this thread and see if any ideas here help me. It’s unfortunate that game can crash after 1h of flight without giving your any clue why.

3080ti

Can you supply us your PC’s specs?
Also, check your PC’s temps.

Sure,

Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900KF CPU WATER COOLED
32.0 GB RAM
3080TI 511.79
1TB WD Blue SN550 NVMe Internal SSD
WIN 10 19043.1526

SOFTWARE I USED

LNM
SKY PARK
vPILOT
VOLANTA
SPAD.NEXT
FSRealistic 1.5

I checked my MSI Afterburner stats right after the crash nothing was out of the ordinary.
I have 7.7 trips around the world logged since volanta is out.

I was flying TBM9 ( improvement mod and+ WTG3000)

ROUTE
KTWT TINGS Q19 PLESS J78 FAM J112 ULMAN 0R2
FL240

I would bet that it’s the Asobo server issue! Don’t waste your time trying to find out what’s wrong with your system! I had two CTDs last night, back to back also and that’s very unusual! After that, I had 7 hours of flight with no issue! Same airports, same setup, same everything…

And just FYI I have a very powerful system which I spent a lot of money on; so I am seriously disappointed to see stutter or CTDs:

I9-12900KF, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR5 4400mhz ram, etc. If this fails, I am not sure what will work …

1 Like

I would also suspect server issues on Asbobo’s side rather than individual client issues. Too many people are affected and having critical errors where the entire program is shut down sounds like a incident in the source code or maybe server connection issues with bad or no error handling.

I do not think that we can find anything serious on our systems, maybe one or two are lucky and find something that caused or at least enforced the issues on their systems, but for most of us the reason is to be found by Asobo.

1 Like

Yet another CTD during rollout after a 2-hour flight. Minimal impact apart from the breaking of immersion, as flight time, touchdown rate etc were already logged. At this point I’m 90% certain it’s something with AI traffic (either Live or Offline).

It’s definitely none of the potential root causes I had suspected, such as Little Navmap, FSRealistic, liveries (had completely removed AIM files from Community), Ground Traffic (was set to 0%), rolling cache (disabled), GPU drivers or whatever. I did a few more shorter tests yesterday without any traffic and it worked fine 100% of the time. Now to try a few more 2-3 hour log trips with CJ4 without any additional traffic.

I was this close to getting Aerosoft’s Simple Traffic and try it instead of AIM, however I found a couple of posts in other forums that report CTDs during approach, blaming Live/Offline AI traffic as the main supect and they said it also happens with Simple Traffic. So I’ll just hold my horses until I’ve found the root cause.

…or wait for Asobo to get their act together and create a stable software title that doesn’t crash because of a trillion different reasons, as revealed by a Google search or a quick visit to Zendesk’s assortment of “workarounds”.

1 Like

I have had CTD’s for a few days now as soon as I start a flight from the menu. Also I suddenly had a permanent frame drop from 55 FPS to only 12 FPS during a flight after about 30 minutes.
After a lot of testing, I assume it was due to the newly installed NVIDIA drivers. Version 511.79, but also 511.23 caused these above mentioned problems for me. Yesterday I went back to 497.29 and had no more problems after that. Will test it again today but more extensively. I am even of the opinion that I had no problems before with the 511.09 (unfortunately I forgot to note it down). The 511.09 brought me even with my setup a few more frames.

… Never touch a running system!! :roll_eyes: :joy:

As I wrote before, 511.79 seems to cause massive problems for me with MSFS.
Try 497.29 or 511.09

I’ve had frequent within-minutes crashes for the last couple of months. I have now after 2,5 years done a clean install of my entire system and so far it works perfectly fine, no crashes anymore, all the latest drivers. However I currently use neither Multiplayer nor live weather and air traffic. I will turn them on one by one today and see if that changes performance. Until a few days ago the sim would crash right after take-off for no apparent reason.

I have 42 addons now and I used to have ctd’s alot over a year ago. Now what I did was “delete Rolling Cache” and turn it off also I turned off “Aircraft traffic type” I use Multiplayer only. Since I did that I never had a ctd again. Maybe it helps?

Disabling rolling cache entirely (not just deleting/refreshing it) hasn’t helped me for sure, nor when I changed generic aircraft for both multiplayer and AI to “On” (so as not to use any 3rd party models, liveries etc).

But I can’t remember a single time when I had a CTD during approach with Live/Offline traffic disabled, so I truly hope this is the culprit in my case. Additional tests will be needed of course.

In the long run, MSFS should really become immune of CTDs caused by mods because it’s supposed to be a software app that heavily relies on mods in the first place. For obvious reasons it should be built from the ground up as a sandbox to withstand mod issues and not crash (or at least crash with a meaningful error message that it was mod X that broke it).

I’ve the same problem. Rolled back 496.98. No problems

Is this a proven fix or speculation? I don’t remember the last time I needed to roll back a graphic driver since 2006.

I would rather believe this has something more to do with their servers as suggested or AI Offline traffic issues. I use Simple Traffic from Aerosoft. I think at the end we can all guess and try things unless there is an actual error message to tell us what happened.

I did two flights the same day at night time, both over 1h each no issues. Go figure.

“Trying things” is what has been going on since the release of this title, and it’s the reason why there are so many different workarounds, official and unofficial; most of which are completely counter-intuitive or genuinely random or simply laughable (such as “don’t overlock anything, ever, even if other super-heavy games in your PC have no issues or even if your hardware has been certified to work at higher rates”). Laughable not because they are wrong or non-applicable, but quite the opposite: because they often fix an issue that shouldn’t even exist in the first place.

A simple and useful message stating that “MSFS crashed because of a GPU driver timeout or because of mod X or because aircraft Y’s livery couldn’t be loaded or because of a rogue misformatted .bgl file” would have saved us millions of wasted hours collectively.

3 Likes

Of course, this is all speculation :wink: , which in my case is due to testing all possible combinations. Has only happened to me once in the past that I had to fall back on an older driver, but in this case it actually helped.
I also temporarily disabled my few AddOn’s to rule out that it was due to them. I also use Simple Traffic among others, as well as G1000 NXi WT, DA62X Improvement, some airports and Navigraph.

After a few more tests, I can now confirm that NVIDIA driver version 511.09 is the last one that doesn’t cause any problems for me and also offers the best frame rates.

Asus Z490-F | i9-10850K | 64GB | Zotac RTX 2080 Super | 3x FHD @ 5760x1080