Crashing to Desktop (Jan. 2022)

The linked FAQ describe local clean only.
( note: it also describe to clean only the packaes folder ( …lator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages ), but this is not sufficent for a real clean-up in which the whole folder should be checked/cleaned manually. This comes in a different topic on top which users run into issues because they not cleaned the ROLLINGCACHE file because of the little gap in FAQ )

The Removal of the cloud data is more ‘tricky’ and the user described in the post I linked an “how to do”.

Still trying to fix, but I did create a new XBox account and swap it in my MS session.

I did went throught the crashing step and now it is updating the whole 113GB with this new account.

I really don’t know how it will end.

Don’t understand if the PC’s owner owns the product or if this is the xbox account.

That PSU is more than enough for that spec. I’m running a 5900x and a 2080ti on a 650w PSU without issue for comparison

If you had a particular issue with your hardware, particularly power, everything would be crashing.

The only crashes I experience on my PC, including OS, 4K video editing, stress testing and all other games I own, come when using MSFS. They always follow the same pattern, game freezes then sound cuts in and out quickly and boom, back to desktop.

I’m still totally convinced that a vast number of these crashes are server related because there is no discernible pattern to them. They seem to happen randomly, with all aircraft in all situations. Other times, with the exact same parameters, it can be completely fine. It’s incredibly frustrating.

660W this is lower limit , for a 2070 and much more for a 2080ti, and we mentioned often that not the “raw number” is important, instead there are huge differences in quality of PSU and of course the number “660W” tell us not much about “how much power on which voltage” etc.
We have lots of strange issue where at the end the PSU caused it. But of course, it must not be the case for the issue which @undefinedman369 have.

If the PC works fine in case “Limited FPS” , it can points to head issues or of course to PSU issue… just all “can be”.

EDIT: and I forgot… because you mentioned “sound”… check all sound-drivers and also additional tools which are often installed, eg. asus sonic, asus mixer, whatever… we have lots of topics about issue from this.

So my trick of creating a new xbox account worked. I have lost 270h of progression, but the sim is up and running.

I have reverted to the GeForce Game Ready Driver 497.29 which was very stable on my computer during Christmas time. Seems to have done trick for me.

Well, I did succeed reinstalling but I missed the extra content of the premium deluxe edition :frowning: (Beech Baron).

Even if extra component (aircraft, …) were listed in the content manager, I cannot see them or use them in the game with the new xbox account. (I am stuck on standard edition).

Even lauching from XBox App which shows Premium edition is installed, I am still stuck with the standard edition :disappointed:

So I tried switching account (first and previous original account) and then BOOOM the sim crashed from the main menu and doesn’t load anymore…

back to starting point…

• Is there a way to start the sim “logged out” ?
  • Is it possible to fix my previous and original account ?
  • Should I contact aerosoft from who I purchased the dvd Premium edition or should I look for zendesk support ?

Thank you

Ps : the problem wasn’t the SIM or Windows related but is cloud related (account data).

I hear you, exactly the same behavior with sound. It’s just totally random, the weird thing is that for example GPU is not even 100% usage, but rather 50%. I ran out of idea… Just waiting for the coming update and maybe driver updates.

Same for me… Flight with PMDG DC6

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.21.18.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: FlightSimulator.exe, Version: 1.21.18.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x00000000005ed279
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x396c
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d8155dbc98c78b
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: E:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Berichtskennung: 56391bf2-cb02-4382-925f-59eac1b2cf9c
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

as mentioned, have you tried to remove the cloud data on the faulty account with help of the description I linked ?

1 Like

I’ll say this quietly because I don’t want to jinx it, but since I updated to Windows11 a couple of days ago FS2020 seems to be much more stable.

Out of the 4 flights I’ve attempted I’ve managed to actually complete 3 of them (one over 90 minutes) which would have been completely impossible just a few days ago.

Now, it might be that it’s a complete coincidence and the crashes might well have been live weather or server related, but if you haven’t tried Windows11 it might be an option.

No I didn’t : but I will. Just need to check out a few things and have some time to do it “quietly”.

In fact this morning I succed switching back again to the new account by switching on XBoxApp.
If I reboot the system, it avoid the “app reset” step.

Config summary :
Windows fresh install (with disk cleaned).
Sim fresh install (hoppefully the new account makes me goes throught the whole process).

• MS Store Account : still on the old one (it own also Windows activation Key).
  • XBox App Account : old one make the sim to crash, new one allow to start but in “standard” edition only. (This is a shame as I own the DVD Deluxe Premium Edition).
  • SIM Login : new XBox Account as previous makes it crash.

The goal now is to reset the old account in order to have my Premium content back and also Reno expension pack. I can live with an empty logbook : It’s not mandatory as in real life.

Thank you

Hello all, (all SU are installed, a PC Sim bought from MS store) for a couple of months or so at every attempt to start the Sim (daily basis) one of two things happen:

1- The game will freeze at the review updates screen without text showing on the page so I use task manager to terminate the process.
2- The game will continue loading but shows a black screen instead of the Pilatus plane and the following pages, the game will start but is in safe mode so only the default plane is showing so I quit normally.

In both cases, I restart the game and in 97% of the cases, the game will start normally and without issues !! and I finish the flight, this error used to happen for many months but it was once every 5 attempts of starting the game or more, now it’s ha[[ening at every try to start it…Any help will be appreciated. (BTW no overclocking no tweaking just third parties add ons paid and free - very limited number)

Yeah… I did it : this post saved my life (almost) !!!

I managed to “get ride of my buggy profile” (main xbox App account) on which the game belongs.
The new XBox account helped me to re-install the game and make it alive.

Then I needed to adapt a little the procedure because I needed to switch from the new account to the previous (without doing it in the game).

The only things is that the onboarding cannot be make offline.
So I switched to the buggy profile in xbox, and rebooted offline.
Started the the SIM. When SIM asked to be online for onboarding, I did so but just to sign in and I
puted it offline before clicking “let’s go”. It take time to initialise but finally ended in the sim offline in my
newly cleaned old account. Then did a small flight and switch back internet. Exit. And at next launch
I needed to select “local profile instead of cloud (the buggy one)”. then I was prompted to update the content and I did get back my “Deluxe Premium” content.

So now it works !!! :slight_smile: I just loose my 270h’s logbook.

This was not a SIM problem neither a Windows problem but a XBox account syncing related failure in saving / restoring settings.

Either MS could detect malformed data when saving profile (and in this case) discard the saving, and on the other end, Asobo could handle this when restoring profile from the cloud and set bad data to default : these would prevent cloud to crunch account (?)

When you see other game maker (UbiSoft for exemple), they save both online and locally and provide the user a way to chose which one.

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

good to hear… and yes, a cloud-reset-function, in special for MS-Store users, have quite a few users on her wishlist ( see other topic )

I solved my CTDs problems by rolling back to Nvidia 497.29 pilot. Any newer version make MSFS2020 crash in my case…

Following up from my own post, after having many crashes in a row.

I turned off HAGS (Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling) and have not had a crash since. Don’t know if that was the prime cause, just reporting in in case others want to try (Settings → Display → Graphics Settings → Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling).

I found the problem guys in my case. As someone here mentioned, msfs2020 is very fragile to the setup we have and may crash without a reason. In my case crashing was caused by Creative EMU1616m sound card that I have inside my PC. When I detached it from the motherboard, the msfs2020 works without any crash at all. Does not help uninstalling sound drivers or disabling the card in Device Manager. The only way for me is to psychically detach sound card from motherboard.

Not sure why, but today i had my third CTD. After flying around Phoenix for about 1 hour my computer
Crashed?? The only pattern i found with all my CTD is that it seams to happens while I’m in-game and jump on Microsoft FS web site to answer a Forum question the CTD happens?? the only other application i have running when this happens is Little NavMap. I have 6mg of memory on my 1060 Nvidia Card and 32mg system memory.

miss spoke my MSFS crashed not my Computer.