Crazy real world weather - New Zealand

A big polar blast is currently hitting New Zealand (28th & 28th June NZ time), with surface winds gusting between 40 and 50 knots, plenty of snow, rain bands and turbulence.

It is quite impressive to witness this recreated inside MSFS- I just tried flying the BN2 islander from NZNV to NZRC and had 41 knots headwind on short final, groundspeed 30 knots with massive down drafts!

9 Likes

Surface wind 172 degrees, 58 knots at NZWN at the moment! :eyes:

2 Likes

Is this with the default live weather?

Affirm, worth checking out! :+1:

Over Wellington

2 Likes

Thanks for highlighting this! Quite the sporting conditions, this ANZ A320 did quite a sporty go-around just now! (From Flightradar24) The Jetstar behind it got in ok though, perhaps a windshear alert happened with the ANZ crew.

NZWN 282330Z AUTO 20035G49KT 3400 -RA HZ FEW015/// BKN020/// BKN025/// 06/04 Q1020 TEMPO 9999

1 Like

More wild weather in NZ today (17-07-21). Wind speeds of over 75 knots observed on approach into Wellington, with the current surface winds 350/30 gusting 50 knots!

It’s quite entertaining watching the autopilot struggle to maintain height and track in these conditions, although it does swing round to almost complete headwind component on approach for RWY 34. Once landed and shut down, the props still windmill in the breeze!

1 Like

Cyclone Gabrielle is hitting NZ at the moment. Now our power is back on, I thought I’d go try find the eye of it in the sim.

Hard to tell if it was just wishful thinking of not, but the GARMIN Connext display seemed to reflect the eye of the system in the right location. The overcast sky opened up to reveal the sea at the same location, so I’ll claim it as an intercept! :sunglasses:

For the most part, the wind direction shown on the PFD didn’t make sense though- its a very strong south westerly flow all around the south western side of the system that I was approaching the eye from, but the sim showed a North Easterly vector and held drift accordinly.

It was only when I made my approach back into NZAA to land, when Meteroblue started working off the local METAR data, that the wind swung around to display the SW flow I was expecting.

Glad I’m not RW flying today! :grimacing:

3 Likes

It’s surprising how accurate the cyclone storms can be in the sim. I’ve wondered if these storms are specifically modeled with a greater degree of accuracy for the sim?

This is a payware addon from SoFly that adds a variety of historical and fictional well defined storms to the sim: https://sofly.io/storm/