Creating water bodies on slopes

Goal: Place a river onto a hill by tracing the river on top the ortho image

Method attempted: The only method I know to apply 100% fresh water is to lower the surface and place a water polygon into the same location by duplicating the Polygon layer.

→ 1) Placed a polygon on the outlines of the river 2) Apply terraforming on the y-axis

Problem: When applying alterations the y-axis the whole polygon is set on the same level.

How can this the done properly?

Sim v1.25.9.0 + MSFS_SDK_Core_Installer_0.18.0.0.msi

Yes its difficult. What you can do is produce a series of polys in a line following the course of the river with each one dropping by half a meter so that the river appears to be level but actually gradually drop down the hill. I did a lot of this in the lake district and done properly with a gradual reduction in the terraformed poly heights you cant see the fall and the river looks complete flat and natural.

I ran into this now… can confirm this is the only method I’ve come up with as well and it currently works.
Very boring and tedious … but in the end the result is great. The maximum step that can be used is 50 cm in order not to have visual problems.

Until now, MSFS/Asobo hasn’t helped us one bit on this. In SbuilderX there is an option to create sloping bodies of water… if only you could have it in the MSFS SDK it would be great.

1 Like

Interesting method. Could you elaborate more about this?

There is little to say, in QGIS I use a DEM (10 m pixel resolution) as background and with a plug-in (Serval) therefore I create many polygons sloping from the mountains towards the sea with a maximum step of 50 cm, taking care to maintain a slope with respect to the side walls.