Crippled FPS - Specific Cloud Layer?!

Bumping this thread as the performance drop in cloud layers still occurs with SU8. Reproduced with both DX11 and DX12. Images posted above still accurately depict circumstances.

System is 5900x, 3080Ti (Geforce 511.79), 32GB RAM; sim installed on NVMe, Dev Mode off; Win 11 ver 21H2

3 Likes

Can someone please help me I literally know nothing about computers and my FPS is like 10-20fps pretty bad, even on loading screen. What do I need to buy or change in order to run the game. Please @ me or something so I get notification please

1 Like

still not fixed with SU 9 :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

Lags during clouds transition as mentioned.
FIX Performance before bringing out world updates.

1 Like

unfortunately itā€™s still an issue in the beta, am in-and-out the clouds at FL390 live weather and the fps jumping between 30-55

4 Likes

Same here. I wish they fix it. Entering into a cloud is a pain. Massive fps drop in SU10.

2 Likes

I can confirm this issue is still present. Foggy conditions and partly transparent clouds are decreasing my performance heavily.

Running on DX12 with the following hardware:
5950X
Rtx 3090
32GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

4 Likes

same, had this just yesterday when flying (the Fenix) in cloudy conditions to EBBR, FPS dropped to a slide show, was barely able to land. It was live weather as usual for me and I indeed saw that before in cloudy conditions, so seems to be something with the various cloud layers. Cloud settings on Ultra here with me i5-10600k, MSI360 12GB and 32GB DDR3200 which is locked to 30fps which usually is more than sufficient to give me a smooth flying experience - except in some specfic (heavy) clouds

2 Likes

Anyone with the same problem here is using Render Scaling higher then 100? I just noticed, that I donā€™t get any performance problems in clouds or fog with 100 render scaling and maybe thatā€™s the culprit for me.

not here, just at 100%. so you are higher?

I am experiencing the same especially high level overcast (cirrus) causes stutters and a significant drop in fps. I just need to be in a very thin, hardly visible cloud, for it to happen. The transparency of these clouds kill performance.

2 Likes

Good observation, this describes pretty much when I see fps drops, too. Very thin (hazy) cloud layers I am flying through

DX11 here with TAA btw

1 Like

Same issues on my endā€¦ DX11 here with TAA, 3070ti 12700K

1 Like

I get the same, usually most noticeable in thin clouds that you can see through. 9900K, 3080, 32GB RAM. Been happening for a while now, canā€™t pinpoint any specific update where it started. I always fly with live WX.

1 Like

Good day to all!
Yesterday i had a strange bug with clouds. While climbing to FL370 through clouds my fps was dropping to 15-20 . I had also try to reproduce ā€œreal weatherā€ clouds with custom weather preset and have zero issues with fps. I have 1660S with med settings and only clouds on ultra. I also started the glider flight and flying through a small cloud fps had dropped to 20.

3 Likes

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Ever since SU11, I have noticed that with DX12, once you are in the clouds or close to them, the performance gets impacted and the sim becomes stuttery. The only way I found this out is that Sim had automatically switched me to DX11 after the last update and I noticed there were no stutters in the clouds (no reduced performance), once I activated DX12, the stutters and reduced performed was visible again near clouds/in the clouds.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Activate DX12. Fly near or in clouds.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

i9-12900kf, RTX3090, 64GB Ram 4400mhzā€¦

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

After several tests, I found out that the bug only appears using real weather. Even if in manual weather mode make 5 layers of clouds in one place, fps will stay above 30.

2 Likes

Yep, same expierience for me.

3 Likes

I also have a similar experience.
DLSS3 made a lot of micro stutters so I decided to turn off DLSS3 and use vSync 33% of 144Mhz instead.
But even with DLSS3 off, micro stutters still occurred.
So after various trial, I found the main culprit was DX12.
After changing to DX11 the micro stutters disappeared.
Although my experience has nothing to do with clouds, I share it because it will be helpful to other users regarding DX11 and DX12.

3 Likes

Iā€™m getting the same problem with translucent clouds causing a massive frame rate hit on DX12. Unfortunately I canā€™t use DX11 due to severe hit in FPS when using popped out gauges in that mode.

As soon as Iā€™m out of the cloud layer, performance is excellent again. Something needs doing as my machine comes to a crawl with this type of cloud layer. This problem has become worse over the last few weeks.

I use live weather mode only.

3 Likes