CRJ 700 - Autopilot problems

I’ve finally convinced myself of starting to use simbrief and getting a bit more serious so I bought the CRJ.

My first flight was just manual input on the FMS to get that thing flying fast. When I was approaching my destination I told the autopilot to get down to 2000ft (via V/S) and it just didn’t hold that altitude while I was extending flaps and stuff. I even had to stop a nose dive.

From what I know in my stock 320 I just go FLC or V/S to my desired altitude and the aircraft will get to ALT* or that coresponding mode and keep my altitude.

Can anyone enlighten me on that matter?

Too much drag or too slow possibly, therefore the plane could not recover to level up at 2000 ft maybe. You gotta constantly feed the CRJ with throttle while extending flaps because it has too much drag.

Use this graph for v speeds during approach.

1 Like

Thanks for the chart. But the autopilot should still try to keep my altitude and rather die with a loss of speed than going intentionally under it. At least that’s the way it works on all the other planes. They’ll bleed speed before going below that altitude. Itsn’t that how it’s supposed to work?

The CRJ has no VNAV and no autothrottle. YOU have to fly this bird and constantly manage the thrust. Its not an airbus. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I know. It’s the same on the King Air. When I tell it to keep 3000 altitude it will try no matter what. It won’t just go under that altitude before trying to keep it. Don’t you understand what I mean? The AP is just not keeping my altitude correctly.

I would assume the following:

My thrust is too low. The AP will try to still hold altitude. The speed will bleed and I’ll adjust the throttle to keep the speed going again. But it should not just drop below that altitude trying to correct things itself. But maybe I’m wrong and was all the time in all the other planes.

I don’t think it’s going intentionally in your case from what you’re describing. After reading your second comment right above this, my initial reply is starting to make sense to me. You’re either “over-flapping” or you’re way below your approach V-speeds and the plane is entering “pre-stall” stage, that’s why it can’t hold its altitude, so it will start descending giving you the impression that it ignored your altitute restraint, while in reality: it’s actually trying to do what you want but you’re choking it with too much drag.

Like i said, the CRJs are VERY UNFORGIVING if you don’t keep your eye on the v-speeds during approaches.

But you need to give more details because i’m still kinda in the dark here. For example at what waypoints in the approach is this happening? What’s the flap position and the V-speed? Did you setup your V speeds and VREF on the EFB?

Gosh I miss/don’t miss this unforgiving bird… yup so many ILS attempts at the very beginning resulted in a quick Y and F4​:shushing_face::shushing_face:

I’ve always come in fast now and right on the redline for each flap setting… Oh
And watch both the autopilot trim use and speed like a hawk!!! As soon as that trim starts sailing up and the speed starts sailing down…:eyes:

Might have to give this girl a little love and take her out to keep my ratings current…:grin:

1 Like

Okay. Thank you guys for the input. I’ll try to give it a bit more thrust to avoid problems.

What flaps setting is recommended for normal approaches? From that chart above I’ll go for 45?

The manuals actually give you a lot of information about that…

Start with flaps 8. Maybe by FAF you have full flaps in but not so far out.

Manuals! Why do we need to read the manuals? How hard can it be to properly operate a complex piece of machinery like this? I’ll have you know I have been playing GTA V for years now and I am an excellent pilot…

1 Like

Want to work for me in Aerosoft support, lol…

I just bought FS2023 and the autopilot does not work on any aircraft. Especially the altitude hold. I think I may solved the heading hold but the rest, not to much. any suggestions?